FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKerr would do job again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kerr would do job again
    Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 10:28am

Former Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr has told Sky Sports News he would consider taking the job again following the dismissal of Steve Staunton.

Kerr managed the national team from 2003-2005 but narrowly missed out on leading his country to a major finals.

He was replaced by Staunton in October 2005 after failing to qualify for the World Cup in Germany but with Staunton losing his job, the Football Association of Ireland are now on the lookout for a new manager.

"I'd certainly consider doing the job again if I was asked although it's probably very unlikely given the current regime," Kerr told Sky Sports News.

"It's a fantastic opportunity and an exceptional honour to be asked to manage your country."

Kerr was disappointed by the way the FAI treated Staunton following Ireland's failure to make it to the finals of Euro 2008.

He feels officials should have bided their time before changing the national team manager with a game remaining in the qualifying campaign.

"I feel they should have allowed Steve Staunton to finish through the whole group; it's going to be very messy in the build up to the Wales game," he added.

"There has been this big rush to get Steve out of the way and I think that's kind of sad that they behaved like that - that they changed their tune so suddenly.

"He had the full support of the FAI but that is fairly typical of how they behave and there seemed to be this big rush to act.

"I don't know what direction they are going to go in now."

Sponsored Links

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 10:44am
there is no way this will happen.
In hindsight, he should of been kept on but we all know hindsight.....
duffer View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 10:49am
Well Kerr was certainly better than Stan but ultimately he failed to qualify as well and was awful conservative.
�The seeds of doubt that were sown at the weekend against Egypt have been doused by a dose of Jack Charlton's almighty weedkiller.�

Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 10:55am
agree that he was too conservative but that is something that he could have corrected in this campaign given the opportunity. he should never have been let go and in my opinion certainly deserved another 2 years.....after all, brian kerr has a better win per game ratio than jack, mick and wait for it, stan!
FrancoB View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 10:56am
Yep, as much as the FAI feck things up , i cannot see them install Kerr for a second term.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 10:56am
Consevative....He would want to go out and get himself a pair of balls!!
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
FrancoB View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 10:59am
Would I be right in saying that Kerr was sacked from the inside out ( The FAI internally had a problem with him ) and that Stan was sacked from the outside in ( The fans and media had a problem with him that forced the FAI's hand )
Prendy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 11:04am
Must say, we did well with Kerr getting to the last game in both campaigns with him - a bit conservative at times at home but...........

It is a results game though - and we got them away to Swiss, France etc in that group

Only lost in Dublin to a bit of Henry magic when Zidane was kept pretty quiet by Keano etc.

I liked Kerr but feel he was sacked cos he was trying too much to control all levels of football in FAI

What amazes me still is that Givens is still there.  Has he some secret video of the FAI geriatrics in some roasting scandal, which he hangs over them when the threat of being sacked looms

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 11:10am
It's like Givens can't be sacked.
He will be there when he is 80 with a walking stick.

I remember talking to him last year and he was quick to say that U-21 football is not about results, it's about producing players for the senior team

Well, I think he was failed at both. Miserably
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Prendy
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>What amazes me still is that Givens is still there.  Has he some secret video of the FAI geriatrics in some roasting scandal, which he hangs over them when the threat of being sacked looms</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>[/QUOTE Prendy

What amazes me still is that Givens is still there.  Has he some secret video of the FAI geriatrics in some roasting scandal, which he hangs over them when the threat of being sacked looms

[/QUOTE wrote:

]

Yeah he has Delaney Does Dallas, 1,2 and 3

Yeah he has Delaney Does Dallas, 1,2 and 3

Edited by L.Y.A. - 24 Oct 2007 at 12:16pm
ernesto guevara View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 12:18pm

no thanks brian,you had your chance and bored us to death.

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Billy O'Toole View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Official forum mess

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 2:03pm
Kerr embarressed himself with his comments...only St.Pats gave him another job and he prob begged the owner...he loves himself that lad and is a total knob end
Ybig holy jaysus - 4 points for Gerk & Count
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Billy O'Toole Billy O'Toole wrote:

Kerr embarressed himself with his comments...only St.Pats gave him another job and he prob begged the owner...he loves himself that lad and is a total knob end

...and is not regarded by players as a coach in any manner.

Horrible control freak ge even had a problem with me, imagine that, wanted me sacked - I kid you not.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 5:06pm

We can rule out Kerr unless there was a massive FAI clearout.  He had his chance, got us close but ultimately was found out when it counted in the big matches.  Conservative is one way of putting it, ultimately out of his depth was my opinion near the end (and paranoid).

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by soccerc soccerc wrote:

Originally posted by Billy O'Toole Billy O'Toole wrote:

...and is not regarded by players as a coach in any manner.

Horrible control freak ge even had a problem with me, imagine that, wanted me sacked - I kid you not.
Given the state of some of our players and their uselessness as internationals, that's probably a good point for reinstating Kerr. A squad of average, NOT WORLD CLASS players have FAR too much power at the moment as they suck up to anyone with a biro or a microphone.

Kerr was shafted by the FAI - yes he made mistakes. He got one chance. McCarthy and Jack got far more chances.

As for sacking you - did you bring him to a tribunal? Then again, you probably didn't have a horse buried in Jim  bolger's yard....
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by greengooner greengooner wrote:

As for sacking you - did you bring him to a tribunal? Then again, you probably didn't have a horse buried in Jim  bolger's yard....

Care to read my post again? Wink
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 6:18pm
Heard a few stories from a lad that knows a present member of the squad and he said the lads used to take the piss with kerr.....sneaking off to tomangos when they were meant to be tucked up in bed with mick byrne 
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Heard a few stories from a lad that knows a present member of the squad and he said the lads used to take the piss with kerr.....sneaking off to tomangos when they were meant to be tucked up in bed with mick byrne 

That's bull as Byrne wasn't involved with Kerr's setup.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic