You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keiren Westwood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 51>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 10:12am
While it would be great to have a goalkeeper that has confidence with the ball at his feet, given the choice, I would much rather a shot stopper of Shay Given's abilities at his peak. He saved our bacon more times than I can remember. Crazy levels of agility. 

To echo other posters, from the point of view of the basics of stopping the ball going ino the net, I'm far from convinced by Kelleher. 
Sponsored Links

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 11:00am
Love myself a bowel of Kellogg's Kelleghers in the morning!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

While it would be great to have a goalkeeper that has confidence with the ball at his feet, given the choice, I would much rather a shot stopper of Shay Given's abilities at his peak. He saved our bacon more times than I can remember. Crazy levels of agility. 

To echo other posters, from the point of view of the basics of stopping the ball going ino the net, I'm far from convinced by Kelleher. 

I dont think these abilities are mutually exclusive, modern goalkeepers are required to be able to kick the ball to a teammate. They are footballers after all.

Goalkeeper distribution is vitally important in a game of marginal gains. Shay Given was a fantastic reaction goalkeeper, if he was playing today he would be spending a lot more time on his distribution in training than he probably was in his day.

Back in the 90s defenders were more likely to just clear the ball, now defenders are key in working the ball up the field. 

Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Kellegher conceded 7 yesterday against City

a little caught in nomans land for goal three, but other than that nothing he could have prevented. liverpool defence was not existent going by the highlights
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 12:14pm
I am hoping that Bazunu fulfils his potential and we have a number 1 goalkeeper for the next ten years or so. Showing all the right signs so far. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 12:54pm
Bazunu is the one I agree that I have major hopes for wouldn’t be remotely shocked after one more loan next year if he was 2nd choice at City after that at least or even playing at borderline top flight level at 22/23 he looks a rare prospect along with Collins in my opinion our best one at the moment as regards most likely young talents we have to be playing at a top top club in 5/10 years time. 

Bazunu being our best prospect has very little relevance to Kelleher going out and getting game time though does it? We only find out what level he might reach when he goes out and gets game time for the next 3/4 years. 

Didn’t see those 7 goals yesterday but I remembered people give him similar stick for the Cup game against Arsenal where they drew 5-5 and put it this way Kelleher wasn’t perfect but Arsenals keeper that night Martinez was a fair bit worse. 
He’s only playing in goals since he’s 14/15 too it was by accieent he started playing in goal so clearly has far more scope to progress relentlessly with age again then let’s say your average 22 keeper who would be considered a young pup anyways .
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 2:37pm
Bazunu is deffo no 1 GK prospect for us but Travers looks very handy if you take out the mistakes he made. Kelleher needs to bulk up imo very skinny to be a top keeper.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 30 Nov 2020 at 2:37pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Bazunu is deffo no 1 GK prospect for us but Travers looks very handy if you take out the mistakes he made. Kelleher needs to bulk up imo very skinny to be a top keeper.

Kelleher let in 7 goals in a  game v Man city in Prem 2 yesterday.  He ships some amount of goals.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 3:19pm

Is it that much of an issue? Kepa Arrizabalaga and Edouard Mendy off the top of my head seem to have very slender frames.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Is it that much of an issue? Kepa Arrizabalaga and Edouard Mendy off the top of my head seem to have very slender frames.

If he’s playing out in Europe it won’t be as much of an issue especially in the modern game where you can’t look at a keeper and it’s a free out.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 8:05pm
We're a bit short in the goalkeeper department and Westwood is a real solid pro thats playing games in the championship for Sheffield Wednesday.

I wonder if we could see him line up for the Eire again in March...
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 8:10pm
Always rated him as a goalie. Pity he hadn't a decent run and have more caps for us. 

Couldn't see Kenny recalling him back to the squad at 36 no matter how dire our goalkeeping situation might be. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 8:31pm
Out of the squad again and not injured this time. I have the nagging suspicion that Pulis was his lifeline at SW.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 10:41pm
Out of tonight's match with a groin injury, according to acting manager Neil Thompson.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Out of tonight's match with a groin injury, according to acting manager Neil Thompson.

He must be the most injury prone goalkeeper of all time. Time to move on
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
IrishMan234 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishMan234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 9:51pm
Does anybody believe he’s in with a shout of a return now that he’s playing regularly and our highest level keeper currently
playing week in week out?
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by IrishMan234 IrishMan234 wrote:

Does anybody believe he’s in with a shout of a return now that he’s playing regularly and our highest level keeper currently

Doubt it, at 36 I think Kenny will be looking towards the future being happy enough to persist with Randolph for the time being.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by IrishMan234 IrishMan234 wrote:

I do...has to be seriously considered if fit to play in Belgrade
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 51>
  Share Topic