Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keiren Westwood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 51>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I would normally agree with ya but I think in this case it is more than marginal, unfortunately for Westwood the problem MON has is personal. Westwood is consistently judged to be the best keeper in the Championship, I don't think Randolph would be near the top 10, so I think "far better" is a fair assessment. In fairness to Randolph he also hasn't done anything to deserve to be dropped, I just don't think he should have been first choice at that time.

I suppose it would be getting into semantics to ask to define the ''far'' in ''far better'', but I would say that the admittedly small sample size of posts since my original one doesn't seem to have come to any consensus, with some agreeing with you & Andy that Westwood is the best, others saying Randolph and others justifiably making a case for Elliot. 

If I said Seamus Coleman is 'far better' than Cyrus Christie/Matt Doherty/Stephen Ward etc, there would be no argument and I suppose that was my point in the first place, I really don't think there is a huge difference in any of them, said before that Randolph might be getting the nod on his marginally superior distribution, which might still be the case. 

I don't think MON is as anti-Westwood as some make out either, at least not since the Euros when he brought him to France ahead of David Forde, which was something of a minor surprise to some (not me) at the time. That said, had Elliot been fit, I don't think Westwood would have gone, but things change. If WHU were to buy a new keeper in the summer, and SHW were to get promoted, or even if they weren't it could all change very quickly by September if Westwood was the only one of the 3 playing first team football. That said, I think Randolph is certain to keep his place V Austria regardless of what happens at WHU between here & June. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 10:13pm
Would agree with Deise regarding O'Neills relationship with Westwood. I think there might be more made of that spat being tbh. 

Westwood's better but Randolph hasn't done anything to deserve to be dropped so happy to stay with Randolph.

Would love to see Westwood starting in the June friendlies. 

If Sheffield Wednesday get to the playoffs, would that have an effect on Westwood being called into the squad?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 12:22am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I would normally agree with ya but I think in this case it is more than marginal, unfortunately for Westwood the problem MON has is personal. Westwood is consistently judged to be the best keeper in the Championship, I don't think Randolph would be near the top 10, so I think "far better" is a fair assessment. In fairness to Randolph he also hasn't done anything to deserve to be dropped, I just don't think he should have been first choice at that time.

I suppose it would be getting into semantics to ask to define the ''far'' in ''far better'', but I would say that the admittedly small sample size of posts since my original one doesn't seem to have come to any consensus, with some agreeing with you & Andy that Westwood is the best, others saying Randolph and others justifiably making a case for Elliot. 

If I said Seamus Coleman is 'far better' than Cyrus Christie/Matt Doherty/Stephen Ward etc, there would be no argument and I suppose that was my point in the first place, I really don't think there is a huge difference in any of them, said before that Randolph might be getting the nod on his marginally superior distribution, which might still be the case. 

I don't think MON is as anti-Westwood as some make out either, at least not since the Euros when he brought him to France ahead of David Forde, which was something of a minor surprise to some (not me) at the time. That said, had Elliot been fit, I don't think Westwood would have gone, but things change. If WHU were to buy a new keeper in the summer, and SHW were to get promoted, or even if they weren't it could all change very quickly by September if Westwood was the only one of the 3 playing first team football. That said, I think Randolph is certain to keep his place V Austria regardless of what happens at WHU between here & June. 

I suppose it is all opinion but I don't think there is any doubt at all about who is better and I do think the margin is quite considerable. I have always rated him very highly, even if his reasons for declaring for us were questionable enough!
I think the fact you feel KW wouldn't have travelled to the Euros at all only for injuries says it all. I think MON has hinted at his feelings towards him a couple of times, I seem to recall him using the word 'trust' a lot.
It is one of very few gripes I have with MON and it isn't as if Randolph has done much wrong either so I will get over it!
I think the Mexico friendly clashes with the playoff semi-final dates too.

Edited by pre Madonna - 11 Apr 2017 at 12:24am
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 12:32am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Would agree with Deise regarding O'Neills relationship with Westwood. I think there might be more made of that spat being tbh. 

Westwood's better but Randolph hasn't done anything to deserve to be dropped so happy to stay with Randolph.

If Sheffield Wednesday get to the playoffs, would that have an effect on Westwood being called into the squad?
I don't think it is being overplayed, Now this is MON a year or 2 back but this is certainly shaping his view on Westwood to this day in my view:

"Keiren has pulled out of a number of squads, not just in my time but I think he did it before.

Therefore, naturally, it’s a concern but I think it’s something...you need a bit of reliability.

I think that is very, very important - important for anyone you are studying or wanting to bring into the squad.

I have never doubted Westwood’s talent.

I had him for a year (at Sunderland) and he played some of the games and he missed out through illness when I brought Simon Mignolet into the side at Sunderland. And Simon did so well that he stayed in the side.

But Westwood has got back in again and is doing very well at Sheffield Wednesday. He has missed the occasional game at Wednesday as well too, not just for international matches.

He’s a talented boy, definitely, but of course I would have a bit of concern."

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I don't think it is being overplayed, Now this is MON a year or 2 back but this is certainly shaping his view on Westwood to this day in my view:

"Keiren has pulled out of a number of squads, not just in my time but I think he did it before.

Therefore, naturally, it’s a concern but I think it’s something...you need a bit of reliability.

I think that is very, very important - important for anyone you are studying or wanting to bring into the squad.

I had him for a year (at Sunderland) and he played some of the games and he missed out through illness when I brought Simon Mignolet into the side at Sunderland. And Simon did so well that he stayed in the side.

But Westwood has got back in again and is doing very well at Sheffield Wednesday. He has missed the occasional game at Wednesday as well too, not just for international matches.

I think that is it in a nutshell really, I thought it was made blatantly obvious a year ago when Forde was even being considered over him. At one stage wasn't Forde picked ahead of him when he had been dropped by Millwall a division below?
Randolph is an able deputy but I think Westwood is massively underrated by some on here.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:57am

Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I think that is it in a nutshell really, I thought it was made blatantly obvious a year ago when Forde was even being considered over him. At one stage wasn't Forde picked ahead of him when he had been dropped by Millwall a division below?
Randolph is an able deputy but I think Westwood is massively underrated by some on here.
Ya, there is no debate that MON has reservations about him based on things other than his talent.
I think he`s the better keeper.
The stuff about Randolph not having done anything to deserve being dropped just isn't how football works.
I wonder if Christie does nothing wrong while deputising for Coleman over the rest of the campaign will anyone be advocating leaving Coleman on the bench when he`s available again? I doubt it somehow.

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 6:41am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 12:06pm
He won the Wednesday POTY award over the weekend.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 5:44am
KW played well v Huddersfield yesterday.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

He had nothing to do.Confused
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:32pm

Made a couple of good saves and you couldn't fault his positioning.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:35pm

Made a couple of good saves and you couldn't fault his positioning.
He got credited with one save that went three feet above him. I think KW is class, but yesterday must have been his easiest game of the season.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:29pm
Doesn't look like he's ever going to get another shot at the Premier League unfortunately. Not much more he could have done over the last few years to help Sheffield Wednesday get there.

Edited by The O'Shea - 17 May 2017 at 10:30pm
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:26am
I see David Stockdale has rejected a new contract with Brighton and looks to be leaving, I wonder would Hughton consider a move for Westwood or maybe even Randolph to replace him? I think either of them would be a step up on Stockdale anyway.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 2:29am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I see David Stockdale has rejected a new contract with Brighton and looks to be leaving, I wonder would Hughton consider a move for Westwood or maybe even Randolph to replace him? I think either of them would be a step up on Stockdale anyway.
Stockdale just had a brilliant season and has been linked with a move to several EPL clubs, including a move to replace Randolph at West Ham, whilst also hinting at wanting to play for his beloved Leeds United. 
From what I have seen of them Randolph would not be an improvement on Stockdale and I would be very surprised if Hughton thought so. Stockdale will be a massive loss for them.

As for Westwood, he seems very settled at Wednesday but you never know.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:12am
I think Stockdale is very poor tbh, you could see it towards the end of the season where he made clanger after clanger. How he was in the Championship team if the season is beyond me. Westwood would be a big improvement on him and Randolph a modest improvement.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:47pm

I think Stockdale is very poor tbh, you could see it towards the end of the season where he made clanger after clanger. How he was in the Championship team if the season is beyond me. Westwood would be a big improvement on him and Randolph a modest improvement.
I think you see Randy with green-tinted specs, I would be amazed if any EPL club came in for him. He will be lucky to get back to a lower Championship club.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 1:53pm

I think you see Randy with green-tinted specs, I would be amazed if any EPL club came in for him. He will be lucky to get back to a lower Championship club.

Hardly, I've consistently critiqued his continued inclusion ahead of Westwood. I think your closing remark shows there's more than an element of personal dislike tainting your view of Randolph, somewhat like Gibson and Wilson perhaps? He's already proved himself a good Championship keeper and decent international one, but yeah, I'd imagine he'll really be scraping the barrel trying to find a Championship suitor......
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 51>
  Share Topic