You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kazakhstan Away - Astana - September 7th, 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 90>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 5:38am
Definitely on for this trip. When would you get a chance to get there again? Looks class on youtube.
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 5:39am
deffo doing this one Thumbs Up
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Stretchryan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretchryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 7:11am
Depends on when the game is on - but will be doing me best to get to it..
Babysis View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babysis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 7:36am
All being well I plan on being on this trip, should be a cracker and hopefully, like rog said, it will be up there with Armenia.
First Commander-Galway Regatta
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Babysis Babysis wrote:

All being well I plan on being on this trip, should be a cracker and hopefully, like rog said, it will be up there with Armenia.

Another potential GF tourWink, just remember to back dingleview? again LOL
I know nothing :-)
Babysis View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babysis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 7:55am
I travelled with the deise lads to Armenia so missed out on the last tour gf. Will see you for this one though
First Commander-Galway Regatta
GreenTribe View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Please Count, can I be a Mod?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Originally posted by Babysis Babysis wrote:

Another potential GF tourWink, just remember to back dingleview? again LOL

Dingleview Dingleview Dingleview ClapClapClapClapLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL remember it well LOLLOL
Think the best way to K'stan would be to break it up with a night in Germany, too long a fooking flight.
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 6:32pm
have to do this trip by hook or by crook should be class
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 7:14pm
Found this article on BBC website. Useful enough. Bear in mind though that England played in Almaty, 1216km (according to google maps) south of Astana, where all of their Euro qualifiers have been played in this campaign.

Page last updated at 00:30 GMT, Friday, 5 June 2009 01:30 UK

England fans on Kazakh adventure

Chris Mason
BBC News, Kazakhstan

Palace of the Republic
The Palace of the Republic in Kazakhstan

Three and a half thousand miles from home. Just a few hundred miles from China.

But, as far as football's world governing body FIFA is concerned, this is still Europe.

So England find themselves in the same World Cup qualifying group as Kazakhstan, a country that is as challenging to spell as it is to find on a map.

The team - and the fans - are on a 7,000 mile round trip in search of the three points a win over their hosts would provide.

Around 1,500 England fans have made the journey here to Almaty, a leafy city a short distance from the impressive snow-capped Zailiysky Alatau mountains.

Glitzy global brands and even glitzier sports cars are everywhere. But so are reminders that for most people in this country - the ninth largest in the world - life is pretty tough. Average annual salaries here are just one eighth of those in the UK.

As fans arrived, wound their watches on five hours to take account of the time difference, and began sightseeing, tales of the journey dominated.

We were all like kids in a sweet shop. People were leaping around and ringing each other, texting each other, all of us really wanted to come here

Martin Issacs

Arriving by plane, at three o'clock in the morning, was standard. Others, who are yet to arrive, took a week off work to travel by train.

They're not here yet - and even when they cross the Kazakh border there will still be some distance to go.

Kazakhstan is sufficiently big you could fit the UK landmass in here ten times over - and be left with land to spare.

"It's fantastic," fan Martin Issacs told me. "As soon as the draw was made Kazakhstan away was the trip we were all interested in."

Mr Issacs, 44, from Edinburgh, runs 'North of the Border England fans,' a network of England supporters living in Scotland.

"We were all like kids in a sweet shop. People were leaping around and ringing each other, texting each other, all of us really wanted to come here," he says.

Around a dozen fans have congregated at one of Almaty's principal tourist attractions - the Kok Tobe cable car. Climbing steeply from the imposing Palace of the Republic below, the ten minute ride offers a great view across the city and beyond.

Cable car in Almaty
One of Almaty's tourist attractions - the Kok Tobe cable car

Clutching maps and guidebooks, it's not escaped many just what the national delicacy is here.

The Kazakh national dish is known as 'besbarmak.' It is often chunks of long-boiled horse meat and onions, served in a huge bowl with pasta.

"We were looking for some horse on the menu at lunchtime, but there was nothing on the menu," Scott Holmes, 24, from Wapping in east London says, sounding remarkably disappointed.

"We have to try some before we leave. We had kebabs earlier - but if we can get a horse kebab that'd be very nice," he adds wryly, his 'Mr Grumpy' T shirt at odds with his vivacious personality.

But on a neighbouring table, it becomes clear he's been beaten to it in the culinary stakes.

"It was delicious," says John Brister, 45, from Leeds, with a hint of sarcasm.

"I think it might just have been a horse I lost twenty quid on on Saturday actually. In fact come to think of it, let's hope so!"

Amidst the banter and adventure associated with a trip like this - talk about fixtures, formations and form is taking second place. Or at least it is for now.

All the fans here expect England's sixth game in World Cup Qualifying Group Six to be a sixth victory, taking Fabio Capello's team one step closer to next summer's tournament in South Africa.

The journey there, should England make it, will feel like hopping over the Channel compared with this odyssey into Central Asia.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 6:15am

looking at flights from Dubai and I seen this place called -  TASHKENT !!!

WTF is that where Terry went?

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 6:46am
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

looking at flights from Dubai and I seen this place called -  TASHKENT !!!

WTF is that where Terry went?

It's the capital of uzbekistan. I can see that this trip will be a geography lesson for a lot of people LOL

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:01am
Lots of talk about this one as it's one of the places I would love to see the more I read about it the more I can't wait for it really .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:56am
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:59am
Going to get a price on a YBIG charter for this one
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:00am
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:04am
Be one hell of a drive!

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:06am

Notice you avoid Russia all the way along Shocked

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:15am
Ive 2 free spaces in the boot anyone interested
I know nothing :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 90>
  Share Topic