You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kazakhstan Away - Astana - September 7th, 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 90>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 7:59am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

why are they in the European Qualifing Zone when they are in Asia?  England played there in 2009. 

used to be part of ussr so had the right to join uefa AFAIK
Sponsored Links

jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 8:45am
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

will depend on the funds if I'll make this one. Missus wants me to limit the trips to one a year

You need to stamp this selfish and inconsiderate behaviour out. My missus moaned the other week that between Monaghan United games and Ireland games I'm away too much. I softly pointed out the unlocked door, the lack of shackles and the fact that she was free to leave at any time. Not a peep out of her since

What part of Monaghan are you from? 

Hopefully we will make it into the Premier Division this year. 
It's Jack Shat
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 8:49am

will depend on the funds if I'll make this one. Missus wants me to limit the trips to one a year

You need to stamp this selfish and inconsiderate behaviour out. My missus moaned the other week that between Monaghan United games and Ireland games I'm away too much. I softly pointed out the unlocked door, the lack of shackles and the fact that she was free to leave at any time. Not a peep out of her since

LOL
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 10:00am
wikitravel on Astana

There are more than 10 discos (night clubs) that are frequently referenced by locals
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

What part of Monaghan are you from? 

Hopefully we will make it into the Premier Division this year. 

I've spoken with Roddy about this many times and have insisted that he does whatever he needs to do to gain promotion, so don't worry, it's sorted

Emyvale by the way
dotts101 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dotts101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 12:32pm
SHELS are going UP going UP SHELS are going UP nananananana
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 1:36pm
This place appears to be a bit expensiveThumbs Down unlike Armenia
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 2:34pm
looks like you can get a good hotel for €50 a night and I even found an Irish pub. Here's a good article I came across.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?col=&section=citytimes&xfile=data/citytimes/2011/January/citytimes_January65.xml

48 hours in Astana

8 January 2011, 5:38 PM

Everything you need to know about spending a couple of days in Kazakhstan’s capital. Just don’t mention Sacha Baron Cohen…

It may not be the most immediately obvious travel destination planted on your radar, but with direct four-hour flights from Dubai, Kazakhstan’s first city is worth a gander.

THURSDAY

Upon arrival at Astana International Airport make sure all your papers are in order, because getting a visa on arrival can be a pain and is barred for some nationalities. Best sort it out in the Emirates before you fly.

Journey out into what will be the extremely cold weather at the moment and have a somewhat surprising/ slightly patronising revelation that this is a thoroughly modern nation complete with many heated luxury western cars to take you into town. In short, Borat lied.

Check into your hotel and, if you’re not staying there, head to the Rixos President Astana in the administrative district. Boasting many restaurants serving international cuisine and even an Irish pub that for some reason does a fine line in shisha, it is an opulent environment to get you settled in.

You could even finish off the night with a massage at the Royal spa if the flight left you with a few aches and pains.

FRIDAY

Having been named the capital city and subsequently experiencing a resulting construction boom in 1997, Astana is an ultra-contemporary town with sweeping boulevards and architecture to match. Imagine Dubai if it were a bit colder with less sand and you’ll get the picture. However, as with most new cities, public transport is the last thing to be put in place, so taxis are the popular mode of transport for tourists. Take a taxi down to First Street’s Palace of Peace and Reconciliation. A pyramid with stain-glassed doves on the window, the building often plays host to multi-faith conferences and is the home of Astana’s philharmonic orchestra who perform in the theatre on the ground floor. The conference room on the top floor offers some of the best views of the city.

Just over the road is Astana’s foremost museum housed in the President’s Culture Centre. Containing exhibitions about Kazakhstan from the 14th century onwards, an art gallery and a cracking gift shop, it’s one for the culture vultures and those dragged along with them alike.

Lunchtime and there’s nowhere better to go than Astana’s newest attraction, the Khan Shatyr Entertainment Centre. An all-encompassing mall set in a 150-metre high tent, the centre offers all types of cuisines, from Italian to Asian to American, for even the pickiest eater.

Continue around the Khan Shatyr Centre. This awe-inspiring complex is the brainchild of renowned British architect Sir Norman Foster. In keeping with Astana’s futuristic aesthetic, technically being classed as a tent, the structure also harks back to the country’s nomad traditions. However, that is where any allusions to the past begin and end, for inside is a consumer’s paradise and theme park rolled into one. Take a trip on the indoor railway, play state-of-the art video games or (and we know travellers from the Emirates will especially love this one) browse the hundreds of high-end stores you’d find along any major shopping street in the world.

Once you’ve bought more than you can carry it’s time to head to the top floor of the Khan Shatyr to take advantage of the indoor beach. While the temperatures dip below freezing outside, enjoy the sand between your toes, the warm water lapping by your side and a smooth drink from a coconut, and try to get your head round the fact that you managed to stumble across a tropical paradise only a few hundred miles from the central Russian border.

Time to eat again and if you’ve managed to drag yourself away from the Entertainment Centre’s vast array of restaurants then make your way to the Beijing Palace’s (formerly and more commonly known as the Peking Palace) revolving restaurant. Offering 360-degree views of the city, it is one of the best places to try the local meat of choice, horse.

If you’ve got any energy left, or you just like to let your hair down and dance the night away, there is only one destination you need to know about. Chocolate nightclub in the Radisson Hotel is as hip and trendy as they come. Make sure to spruce yourself up and dress to impress because the bouncers do run an unofficial ‘models only’ admittance policy.

SATURDAY

This is your chance to “go native.” While the winter months offer very little in the way of outdoor entertainment (meaning the central park, Akvapark, and its daily festivities and market will not be running) there is plenty to do indoors. A trip to the Fine Art Museum on the Respublika has a small permanent collection, but many extensive temporary exhibits.

No trip to Astana would be complete without a quick squint at the Baiterek Monument. Even if you have to drive by if it is too cold, the Baiterek is a symbol of Kazakh philosophy. It embodies the legend of the mythical Samruk bird that once laid a golden egg containing the secrets of human desire and happiness in a tall tree out of reach.

Try out one of the local restaurants near to the Baiterek. English is generally understood, but failing that, resort to pointing and ludicrous hand gestures. Do not, however, use the phrases, “jagshemash, great success,” or, “is nice.” Whatever your views on comedian Sacha Baron Cohen’s fictional Kazakhstani reporter, the residents have heard about it and do not find it funny.

Although not immediately obvious, Kazakhstan is an Islamic country. Get a taxi down to the south of Astana and visit the new Islamic Centre where you will find an ornate four-minaret mosque.

Winding up the day before your departure, at the airport, stock up on as many souvenirs bearing the Kazakh flag as possible. Aside from the actual miniature flags there are bars of chocolate, t-shirts, hats, mouse mats and even mobile phones.

Edited by colemanY2K - 31 Jul 2011 at 2:35pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 3:17pm
Don't mention Sasha Baron Cohen?
I thought that would be everybody's plan to dress up in a green mankini. 
The dark side.. And the light
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 10:08pm
t-shirts for this one could prove offensiveLOL
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 1:39am
Or just for you Gaz.....with Gazakhstan and an embarrassing picture of you on it!
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Or just for you Gaz.....with Gazakhstan and an embarrassing picture of you on it!

plenty of embarrassing photo's of me knocking about on this site to choose from so should be no problem LOL
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:03am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

plenty of embarrassing photo's of me knocking about on this site to choose from so should be no problem LOL
Hence my point! Some clever whizzkids can photoshop one of those for ya!
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:27am

Don't forget Dublin hurling too
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 4:00am
Is ShamTravel going to this one?
@AntrimMan85
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 4:58am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Yes it is
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 5:04am

Yes it is

I'd like to officialy register my interest in a ShamTravel package Thumbs Up
@AntrimMan85
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 5:05am

Yes it is

I'd like to officialy register my interest in a ShamTravel package Thumbs Up

Wise choice AM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 90>
  Share Topic