You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Journo has pop @ Irish fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig von Drake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 8:25pm
A lot of lads who were in Poland don't go to Landsdowne. A lot of lads who used to be regular matchgoers at Landsdowne and Croker don't go any more. We badly need to get these back for the home games and the FAI should be bending over backwards to fill the stadium. I won't hold my breath.
Sponsored Links

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Ludwig von Drake Ludwig von Drake wrote:

A lot of lads who were in Poland don't go to Landsdowne. A lot of lads who used to be regular matchgoers at Landsdowne and Croker don't go any more. We badly need to get these back for the home games and the FAI should be bending over backwards to fill the stadium. I won't hold my breath.

That is a good point chief, why do you (not Ludwig specifically) think that is ? The anti Trap brigade will be on spouting nonsense about the style of football, but in one of our worst periods ever under Stan, we had an average attendance in the mid 50K's in Croker, playing sh*te football and out of the reckoning after the halfway point of the group. I'm sure Trap and the football are a reason for some of the non attendees, but wouldn't think it is a significant number. 

Economics is a huge one, there is no doubt about that, it is one thing the FAI reducing ticket prices for games, but they cant do much about the price of petrol for the non Dublin heads. There are also a lot of lads who used be regulars who made Poland as a once off from their work in other countries, having being forced to emigrate to find work, this would account for a lot of under 30s not attending any more, but not too many over that age group. 

The sheer amount of games in the past 2 years is a factor as well, Ireland have played something like 26 in the last 2 years, with over half being at home, it is an increase on what was played a few years back. 

Any more ? 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Ludwig von Drake View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig von Drake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Ludwig von Drake Ludwig von Drake wrote:

That is a good point chief, why do you (not Ludwig specifically) think that is ? The anti Trap brigade will be on spouting nonsense about the style of football, but in one of our worst periods ever under Stan, we had an average attendance in the mid 50K's in Croker, playing sh*te football and out of the reckoning after the halfway point of the group. I'm sure Trap and the football are a reason for some of the non attendees, but wouldn't think it is a significant number. 

Economics is a huge one, there is no doubt about that, it is one thing the FAI reducing ticket prices for games, but they cant do much about the price of petrol for the non Dublin heads. There are also a lot of lads who used be regulars who made Poland as a once off from their work in other countries, having being forced to emigrate to find work, this would account for a lot of under 30s not attending any more, but not too many over that age group. 

The sheer amount of games in the past 2 years is a factor as well, Ireland have played something like 26 in the last 2 years, with over half being at home, it is an increase on what was played a few years back. 

Any more ? 

You've covered most of the reasons I think. To say it's the football under Trap as the sole reason for the falling attendances is nonsense. While the disappointment of recent results has had an impact, the sheer numbers that have stopped going over the last few year is really disappointing.

As you've said, the economy is a big factor with people who simply can't afford to go any more or who have emigrated.

I think the treatment of fans by the FAI at the time of the move from Croker to Landsdowne has had an impact as well (the whole Vantage club thing, infamous 49 letter etc.).  Before our games in Croker, I think I was around seven thousand odd on the waiting list for block booking tickets and that was after a good few years on the list. The numbers who have simply stopped going are huge. I don't think the fans have the same connection any more to the players either.
SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:09pm
The reality is economics are playing a huge part in how supporters attend matches. Supporters simply do not have the cash. If you live outside Dublin it's an expensive day out. Crowds are down in all codes weather it be football gaa or rugby. People are picking the games they can afford to attend. I know my mate would love to bring his 2 lads to to every Irish game at home but the cost of travelling from Tipperary is a huge cost with tickets etc
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:12pm
All good points lads , as I said before I think a win in Sweden would bring punters in for the Austria game , aloss in that game will see a half full stadium if we are lucky
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

All good points lads , as I said before I think a win in Sweden would bring punters in for the Austria game , aloss in that game will see a half full stadium if we are lucky

Dunno Rog, we had (what we thought at the time were) must win home games against Slovakia and Macedonia in the last campaign, and off memory, the attendance was in the high 20Ks or the low 30Ks for those games, and they were both on Fridays. Now that I think of it, Macedonia was a Saturday as far as I remember, a day when a hell of a lot more people are off or not working the next day. 

On that basis, what would be the expected crowd for Austria if we get our normal away draw ? Given the game is Tuesday, I don't think it would be much above 30K max, losing to Sweden might take 5K off that, beating them maybe 2 or 3K on it. Still a lot short of capacity. 

Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:38pm
A forward thinking organisation with a quality CEO would see the crowd situation as an opportunity to attract a new generation of young fans through pricing or attract fans from different regions and get them hooked on live football that they will never experience on SKY. For example, the smaller games could be played in Limerick to attract fans from the south and west. Sadly the FAI and their CEO are not that organisation/CEO.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:48pm

Dunno Rog, we had (what we thought at the time were) must win home games against Slovakia and Macedonia in the last campaign, and off memory, the attendance was in the high 20Ks or the low 30Ks for those games, and they were both on Fridays. Now that I think of it, Macedonia was a Saturday as far as I remember, a day when a hell of a lot more people are off or not working the next day. 

On that basis, what would be the expected crowd for Austria if we get our normal away draw ? Given the game is Tuesday, I don't think it would be much above 30K max, losing to Sweden might take 5K off that, beating them maybe 2 or 3K on it. Still a lot short of capacity. 
It was indeed Minty, I remember the barman in Mulligans asking how many would be at it game tonight I told him full houseEmbarrassed thinking sat night, 1st game after the winter etc
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

A forward thinking organisation with a quality CEO would see the crowd situation as an opportunity to attract a new generation of young fans through pricing or attract fans from different regions and get them hooked on live football that they will never experience on SKY. For example, the smaller games could be played in Limerick to attract fans from the south and west. Sadly the FAI and their CEO are not that organisation/CEO.

The FAI do have a schoolboy section in D'aviva and recently ticket pricing isn't the issue there. People can experience live football every fortnight in the LOI and chose not to go either, there is no doubt the FAI could do more, but far too simplistic to blame them for all ills. As you are probably aware, the contract with Aviva states all Ireland's full international games must be played in d'aviva, the one time they did play a few games in the smaller Thomond Park were not a success either from an attendance point of view. 

Regardless of the JD bashing, it makes sense to play the games in the biggest population centre, the majority of people who attend the games are Dubs, it is very unlikely sales will increase by asking them to travel elsewhere, even if that option were available, which it isn't. Which reminds me of something else slightly related; a few years ago, the U21 games were brought around the country to various stadia, personally I thought this was a superb idea, as it brought live international football to parts of the country not previously used to seeing it. Took in a few at the RSC meself when they were here. 

Now it seems the U21s play most home games in Sligo. Why? I remember something about Noel King saying they liked playing there and were guaranteed good support, which is fair enough, but is that the only reason or can somebody tell me more ?  Surely those games should start making their way back around the country again to Turners Cross, Thomond, the RSC, Eamonn Deacy park, The Showgrounds, Ferrycarraig etc etc rather than be stuck in one place, I'm sure Sligo do a cracking job, but they are not an area that lacks football support in any case. Can't speak for some of the other venues, but any U21 game at the RSC was close on a sellout crowd any time they played here. 

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:59pm
I dont think there'll be much more than 25k at Lansdowne for the Austria match. 10k more than Greece would sound right to me. There was 35k at the Slovakia match and we were in a much better position in the group and it came on the back of a decent year. And Slovakia were our main rivals for 2nd.

If we beat Sweden we could pull in an extra few thousand, I predict more than Deise. If we get beaten a bit less than 25k.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 10:00pm

They gave out at least a couple of thousand free tickets to schoolkids last week. Unless they charged for those in the North stand..
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 10:20pm

We have had 4 home games this year.  Tickets were 20 euro for the Greece game.  Many struggled to give tickets away.  Appreciate the economy has had a significan timpact but it also impacts the ability of those to travel to Eastern Europe for 2 weeks.  We'll have another scramble for tickets for a wednesday night next May and London is damn sight harder to get to than Dublin on a wednesday night from Castlebar, Cork or Clontarf.

I think the big difference is the "event junkie" culture here and certain games are events.  Greece certainly was never going to be one.  We will have a home friendly around the time of the England game (according to my season ticket literature) and I can guarantee it will have little appeal. 

It is more of an Irish thing than a football thing.  Attendances vary widely in rugby and GAA too. 

I think the FAI need to build up a fanbase again by focussing on season tickets are getting people to go regularly.    It is difficult though when there is no pressure on home tickets.

1)  Ensure a season ticket is the cheapest way to watch Ireland.  Currently much cheaper match by match and makes it easier to skip less attractive games. 

2)  Give season ticket holders first option on extra tickets for family and friends

3)  Give season ticket holders first option on away tickets

4)  Give season ticket holders free entry into underage Internationals. 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 11:06pm

The FAI do have a schoolboy section in D'aviva and recently ticket pricing isn't the issue there. People can experience live football every fortnight in the LOI and chose not to go either, there is no doubt the FAI could do more, but far too simplistic to blame them for all ills. As you are probably aware, the contract with Aviva states all Ireland's full international games must be played in d'aviva, the one time they did play a few games in the smaller Thomond Park were not a success either from an attendance point of view. 

Regardless of the JD bashing, it makes sense to play the games in the biggest population centre, the majority of people who attend the games are Dubs, it is very unlikely sales will increase by asking them to travel elsewhere, even if that option were available, which it isn't. Which reminds me of something else slightly related; a few years ago, the U21 games were brought around the country to various stadia, personally I thought this was a superb idea, as it brought live international football to parts of the country not previously used to seeing it. Took in a few at the RSC meself when they were here. 

Now it seems the U21s play most home games in Sligo. Why? I remember something about Noel King saying they liked playing there and were guaranteed good support, which is fair enough, but is that the only reason or can somebody tell me more ?  Surely those games should start making their way back around the country again to Turners Cross, Thomond, the RSC, Eamonn Deacy park, The Showgrounds, Ferrycarraig etc etc rather than be stuck in one place, I'm sure Sligo do a cracking job, but they are not an area that lacks football support in any case. Can't speak for some of the other venues, but any U21 game at the RSC was close on a sellout crowd any time they played here. 

Spot on Deise about the u21s matches being played around the country. As I know live in the UK I was unaware this no longer happens. It did occur to me recently that a lot of games seemed to be played in Sligo. I remember watching ireland u21s play Denmark u21s at Turners Cross a few years back and was mesmerised by John O'Shea's display. He was head and shoulders above every other player on the pitch that night. We need to distribute the u21 football matches around the country again.
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 11:57pm
I can see the benefits of spreading it round the country but in fairness I reckon it should be Noel Kings decision. If he wants to keep all the games in Sligo then so be it. It looks like we're finally making progress at under 21 level and if King thinks having a settled base is going to get us better results, well then we should stay at Sligo. Qualifying for the Under 21s Euros will create a lot more excitement and fill more seats in Lansdowne than going back to getting beaten by very average sides in different venues around the country.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 12:31am
The U21s have moved a lot.  They were settled in Cork a few years ago and that worked for a while.  Sligo seems to be working really well and the team are getting great support there.  Kilkenny, waterford, Longford and Galway have all hosted games in recent years too as well as Dublin.
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 12:42am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

We have had 4 home games this year.  Tickets were 20 euro for the Greece game.  Many struggled to give tickets away.  Appreciate the economy has had a significan timpact but it also impacts the ability of those to travel to Eastern Europe for 2 weeks.  We'll have another scramble for tickets for a wednesday night next May and London is damn sight harder to get to than Dublin on a wednesday night from Castlebar, Cork or Clontarf.

I think the big difference is the "event junkie" culture here and certain games are events.
  Greece certainly was never going to be one.  We will have a home friendly around the time of the England game (according to my season ticket literature) and I can guarantee it will have little appeal. 

It is more of an Irish thing than a football thing.  Attendances vary widely in rugby and GAA too. 

I think the FAI need to build up a fanbase again by focussing on season tickets are getting people to go regularly.    It is difficult though when there is no pressure on home tickets.

1)  Ensure a season ticket is the cheapest way to watch Ireland.  Currently much cheaper match by match and makes it easier to skip less attractive games. 

2)  Give season ticket holders first option on extra tickets for family and friends

3)  Give season ticket holders first option on away tickets

4)  Give season ticket holders free entry into underage Internationals. 

This. There are thousands who travelled to Poland whose next attempt to source a ticket for an Ireland game will occur when, and only when, we next qualify for a tournament.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
dickybhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 12:57am

Confused

You can't equate or compare domestic football crowds in another country with attendance at a friendly International in Lansdowne

[/QUOTE]

Why not? Its not like 50,000 fans are attending Airtricity games every week.  If they were then fair enough, you could say that 16,000 is a reasonable amount for an international given that many fans who might have been there are watching there local team every week instead.  But the fact is the majority of Irish fans are not dong this either so wouldn't you expect more of them to watch the international team given that many don't even support an Irish club team.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 1:33am
Tickets are cheaper than ever now. I used to pay €50 a pop to sit on a wooden bench in the old west upper, €40 for friendlies and Lansdowne was always full or therabouts. We were getting 30K plus for friendlies against China, Canada, Chile etc. I now pay €35 for competitive matches and€10-€20 for friendlies. I really don't understand the general publics apathy towards the national side now. No matter how bad our national team are, I'd never stop going to see them.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
  Share Topic