You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Journalists/writers - who's good and who's bad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/eamonn-sweeney-have-you-ever-seen-a-starker-contrast-between-sports-than-the-hurling-final-and-irelands-qualifiers-36116885.html

"So it’s unfair to compare soccer with hurling. The first is a game, the second an art. And like all great art, it ennobles not just the creator but the connoisseur"

Dead

Good writer or not, Sweeney (who was probably dancing in the streets like the rest of us during Italia 90) can get fooked. 

Hurling is an "art" that no country gives a fook about outside of Ireland. Any achievements in either of the two main gah sports will always pale in comparison to our national football team qualifying for a world cup or any major tournament. 

If we had beaten Serbia (the game Sweeney was alluding to) that night at home, it would've seen us qualify as group winners with only  a point needed in Wales. 

An entertaining hurling final doesn't compare to qualification for a major tournament on the international stage. The qualification/months of build up and the whole country being behind the Irish team is something the sport which Sweeney calls an art, will never ever surpass. 

Rant over anyway LOL
Many times in recent years there has been a stark contrast between the brilliance of the hurling final and the utter turgidity of Ireland qualifiers

Bizarre "point" about hurling not being popular outside Ireland, as if that has any connection to its worth as a sport - it doesn't - it only demonstrates that Ireland is a tiny country without much historical or contemporary international political, cultural or media influence

Ireland didn't qualify for the 2018 World Cup, if they'd got enough points to qualify, they'd have qualified, but they didn't, so they didn't 

If they'd won the play-off, they'd have qualified, but they didn't, so they didn't, and neither will they be qualifying for a World Cup for a long time

Not sure how you make out the Ireland team qualifying for the last 16 at a 24 team Euros is a greater sporting achievement than winning an All-Ireland, but carry on 

Think you'll find that winning an All-Ireland is celebrated as much and more in most counties than Ireland qualifying for a finals in association football

I suppose being from a county which has never won an All-Ireland in your lifetime you wouldn't be in the best position to know that Wink

Believe me Sid, it means more to you than it does to me if Mayo win an All-Ireland. I would swap Mayo never winning it for Conor Ray Charles Hourihane burying his 5 yard chance in Slovakia. 

It's 'we' and 'us' when it's Liverpool and 'they' when it comes to Ireland but I suspect that might be fishing more than anything so congrats hook,line and sinker on that one LOL

The bigger achievement is how our country does on the international stage. As someone that follows Mayo in the gah and enjoys watching hurling matches, any achievement in the gah sport has nowhere near the impact around the world in sporting terms the way a last minute Robbie Keane equaliser against Germany would. 

In terms of a spectator sport hurling is probably more exciting to watch than football and I can understand Sweeney saying the hurling final was more enjoyable than the Ireland qualifier. Objectively speaking it was but his description of hurling being an art in comparison to the football was pretentious 'proper mans game' gah bollocks. 
"The bigger achievement" is how our country does on the international stage"

This sentence doesn't even make any sense

Association football is more popular around the world, duh

The fact is Ireland have never achieved anything much of note at international level

Our best "achievement" at a finals tournament involved winning 0 of 5 matches and scoring two goals, both from mistakes

Of course I say "us" about Liverpool, why , wouldn't I, they're the team I follow most, sorry, we

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The competition to be an elite footballer is far more onerous than to be an elite footballer.  A k knowledge of basic maths and logic would.tell you that.  

Good spot muf on the calling liverpool we πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

You would wonder why sid even appears on this site when hurling, premier league football and the Russians and trump are far bigger interests of his than irish football. 
Make up your mind about which is more onerous, elite footballer or elite footballer

K is a thousand, that's basic maths

All-Ireland hurling finals get 82k attending, more people attend hurling in Ireland each year than association football, the Irish team rarely sells out Lansdowne Road

Followed the Irish team closely, attending most matches for well over two decades, late 80s to early 2010s

I can take or leave the team now, like most people, it'd be nice to see them do well but I can get over them not doing well pretty quickly, it doesn't matter like it used to

Yes, certainly I would be much more interested in Liverpool over the last decade or so

The reality now is that most younger people aren't that bothered at all about how the team does and I think most people have accepted we'll never see anything like the Charlton years or even the McCarthy years ever again in our lifetimes

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:22pm

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/eamonn-sweeney-have-you-ever-seen-a-starker-contrast-between-sports-than-the-hurling-final-and-irelands-qualifiers-36116885.html

"So it’s unfair to compare soccer with hurling. The first is a game, the second an art. And like all great art, it ennobles not just the creator but the connoisseur"

Dead

Good writer or not, Sweeney (who was probably dancing in the streets like the rest of us during Italia 90) can get fooked. 

Hurling is an "art" that no country gives a fook about outside of Ireland. Any achievements in either of the two main gah sports will always pale in comparison to our national football team qualifying for a world cup or any major tournament. 

If we had beaten Serbia (the game Sweeney was alluding to) that night at home, it would've seen us qualify as group winners with only  a point needed in Wales. 

An entertaining hurling final doesn't compare to qualification for a major tournament on the international stage. The qualification/months of build up and the whole country being behind the Irish team is something the sport which Sweeney calls an art, will never ever surpass. 

Rant over anyway LOL
Many times in recent years there has been a stark contrast between the brilliance of the hurling final and the utter turgidity of Ireland qualifiers

Bizarre "point" about hurling not being popular outside Ireland, as if that has any connection to its worth as a sport - it doesn't - it only demonstrates that Ireland is a tiny country without much historical or contemporary international political, cultural or media influence

Ireland didn't qualify for the 2018 World Cup, if they'd got enough points to qualify, they'd have qualified, but they didn't, so they didn't 

If they'd won the play-off, they'd have qualified, but they didn't, so they didn't, and neither will they be qualifying for a World Cup for a long time

Not sure how you make out the Ireland team qualifying for the last 16 at a 24 team Euros is a greater sporting achievement than winning an All-Ireland, but carry on 

Think you'll find that winning an All-Ireland is celebrated as much and more in most counties than Ireland qualifying for a finals in association football

I suppose being from a county which has never won an All-Ireland in your lifetime you wouldn't be in the best position to know that Wink

Believe me Sid, it means more to you than it does to me if Mayo win an All-Ireland. I would swap Mayo never winning it for Conor Ray Charles Hourihane burying his 5 yard chance in Slovakia. 

It's 'we' and 'us' when it's Liverpool and 'they' when it comes to Ireland but I suspect that might be fishing more than anything so congrats hook,line and sinker on that one LOL

The bigger achievement is how our country does on the international stage. As someone that follows Mayo in the gah and enjoys watching hurling matches, any achievement in the gah sport has nowhere near the impact around the world in sporting terms the way a last minute Robbie Keane equaliser against Germany would. 

In terms of a spectator sport hurling is probably more exciting to watch than football and I can understand Sweeney saying the hurling final was more enjoyable than the Ireland qualifier. Objectively speaking it was but his description of hurling being an art in comparison to the football was pretentious 'proper mans game' gah bollocks. 

The fact is Ireland have never achieved anything much of note at international level

Our best "achievement" at a finals tournament involved winning 0 of 5 matches and scoring two goals, both from mistakes

Of course I say "us" about Liverpool, why , wouldn't I, they're the team I follow most, sorry, we

I don't understand how that doesn't make sense. It's a bigger achievement any Irish team does on the world stage than within Ireland on one of the gah sports. 

Anyway you follow Liverpool more than Ireland. Fair enough. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:35pm

Dead

Rant over anyway LOL

I don't understand how that doesn't make sense. It's a bigger achievement any Irish team does on the world stage than within Ireland on one of the gah sports. 

Anyway you follow Liverpool more than Ireland. Fair enough. 
How so

The achievement is by players to make it as professionals

The biggest Irish football achievements were personal ones by Ronnie Whelan and Roy Keane to become the main men in the best teams in Europe

Ireland reaching a World Cup quarter-final playing sh*te football,  with a load of players from the top UK teams, is not that big an achievement as a team

You're confusing achievement with excitement

By your rationale England reaching a football World Cup quarter-final is a bigger achievement than England reaching a rugby or cricket World Cup

But it isn't

The basic fact is our international team has achieved sod all of note

I would argue their biggest "achievements" were beating England and Italy at finals, but they followed it up with nothing

And it's not that big an achievement to win a game of football

Like, I'm sure people in Norway were excited they beat Brazil in 1998 but it doesn't exactly go down as a great achievement in the pantheon of football, or probably even in Norwegian sport

If we'd actually won something like Denmark or Uruguay or reached a final or even a semi-final like Croatia, then you'd be talking

Maybe Ray Charles might have stuck the ball in the net from two yards in Slovakia if Stevie Wonder wasn't managing him

I'm surprised that somebody who has "mufc" in their user name gets all annoyed at somebody calling Liverpool "we"

That's probably why I do it actually

Keep jumping

Edited by sid waddell - 01 Feb 2021 at 11:36pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:39pm
to be a an elite hurler.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:41pm

The competition to be an elite footballer is far more onerous than to be an elite footballer.  A k knowledge of basic maths and logic would.tell you that.  

You would wonder why sid even appears on this site when hurling, premier league football and the Russians and trump are far bigger interests of his than irish football. 
Make up your mind about which is more onerous, elite footballer or elite footballer

All-Ireland hurling finals get 82k attending, more people attend hurling in Ireland each year than association football, the Irish team rarely sells out Lansdowne Road

Followed the Irish team closely, attending most matches for well over two decades, late 80s to early 2010s

I can take or leave the team now, like most people, it'd be nice to see them do well but I can get over them not doing well pretty quickly, it doesn't matter like it used to

Yes, certainly I would be much more interested in Liverpool over the last decade or so

The reality now is that most younger people aren't that bothered at all about how the team does and I think most people have accepted we'll never see anything like the Charlton years or even the McCarthy years ever again in our lifetimes

If you have no interest in the team what are you doing on the site then other than just boring others on here and clogging up threads.   There have been plenty of WUM like you that have come and gone and I am sure you will to when you are less bored. 

The mods know what they should do with WUM like you. 

Edited by Baldrick - 02 Feb 2021 at 9:31am
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:58pm

If you have no interest in the team what are you doing on the site then other than just being boring others on here and clogging up threads.   Therefore have been plenty of WUM like you that have come and gone and I am sure you will to. 

Only one person who's wumming here m8

And even that's a really poor effort as it goes
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 12:15am
that’s a bit unfair on muf πŸ˜€
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 7:40am

If you have no interest in the team what are you doing on the site then other than just boring others on here and clogging up threads.   Therefore have been plenty of WUM like you that have come and gone and I am sure you will to. 

If Ireland were playing in Cambridge I would go to London for the day now, but I have a bad habit of reading here, especially when having a sh*te.

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:18am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If Ireland were playing in Cambridge I would go to London for the day now, but I have a bad habit of reading here, especially when having a sh*te.

If Ireland were playing in Cambridge there would be a whip round for your train fare Smile
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:54am
I see what you are saying PM.  But I have no inclination to hop on to the Celtic forum and start posting about anything but Celtic and when I do post about Celtic to say I have no interest in them etc.  The same for any forum really on topics or teams that I do not care for.  It’s bizarre behaviour really.  The thing that made this forum was a sense of community that we all supported the Irish football team no matter what.  Now that’s not a call for no criticism of the team far from it as criticism is at least caring about the team.  However openly running down even the idea of the irish football team on a Irish football forum is the work of A WUM in my opinion.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:23am
You need to get out of that echo chamber, Baldrick

An echo chamber of one

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:29am
for the next Ybig quiz it will be Sid Bingo. Shout Bingo when he uses the following 

gaslighting/gas lighter  
Echo chamber 
Right wing conspiracy 
Bad faith actors 
Russian conspiracy

Winner gets a free Liverpool/Kilkenny half and half jersey.  

AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

If Ireland were playing in Cambridge there would be a whip round for your train fare Smile
I would be insulted if there wasn't. The attraction of this place is most of the posters are the sort of people you would go out of your way to avoid and I hope that is mutual. Anyway, it is 20 quid, so that should put you off.LOL

Baldy, I haven't much interest in Celtic since the Dubai debacle, it was the moment I realised I might as well be supporting Coca-Cola. I still follow what's going on, like with Ireland, if not the matches. Ireland won't even be playing in a tournament I might have an interest in for few 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:43am

I would be insulted if there wasn't. The attraction of this place is most of the posters are the sort of people you would go out of your way to avoid and I hope that is mutual. Anyway, it is 20 quid, so that should put you off.LOL

Baldy, I haven't much interest in Celtic since the Dubai debacle, it was the moment I realised I might as well be supporting Coca-Cola. I still follow what's going on, like with Ireland, if not the matches. Ireland won't even be playing in a tournament I might have an interest in for few 

Celtic was just an example. I could have picked Liverpool or Tipp hurling or the Tory party.  Either way I have no inclination to go on to their forums and talk about any topic but the principle topic the forum was set up to cover. It’s bizarre behaviour and I think boredom is probably the reason.  Either way it’s the work of a WUM imo and it does the site so service when those who are genuinely interested are leaving the site or not posting and those that have no interest are posting loads. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:49am
You are correct, I guess. It is a mixture of mild interest and amusement, especially at some of the things you get on here. I imagine that could be considered wumming.

I do have an interest in the posts about the teams, players and characters from the past though. Like anybody using anything on the Internet, it is entirely for my own satisfaction though. I don't come on here worrying about anybody else, nor is it a disservice; just don't read it. You would also question how much interest they really had  in the first place? 

Anyway, this was a genuinely interesting thread until the quidditch debate popped up.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:50am

for the next Ybig quiz it will be Sid Bingo. Shout Bingo when he uses the following 

gaslighting/gas lighter  
Echo chamber 
Right wing conspiracy 
Bad faith actors 
Russian conspiracy

Winner gets a free Liverpool/Kilkenny half and half jersey.  

Only one poster gaslighting here Baldy and it's yerself

Zero substance to yer contributions, but shure what's new

Basically what's happened is I correctly said Ireland played sh*te football in 1990 and correctly placed the Ireland international team's "achievements" in context, ie. that they weren't that great at all as achievements

Now you're all offended because of that 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:51am

Celtic was just an example. I could have picked Liverpool or Tipp hurling or the Tory party.  Either way I have no inclination to go on to their forums and talk about any topic but the principle topic the forum was set up to cover. It’s bizarre behaviour and I think boredom is probably the reason.  Either way it’s the work of a WUM imo and it does the site so service when those who are genuinely interested are leaving the site or not posting and those that have no interest are posting loads. 
Who made you the thought police?

The pompousness of you LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic