Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 61>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:24pm
I'd be happy to see Knight, Cullen, And 1 of Molumby or Browne,  Think it's the best option at this stage going forward. Is it good enough to qualify us for a tournament or not I'm not too sure but  the previous combinations havn't been good enough so nothing to loose. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:43pm
To get out of Belgrade with any kind of a result i think Kenny will start with Jeff and Brady, again very hard to guess what the line will be still quite away off depends who is injured at the time . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I would have no issue with Cullen and Molumby both starting as I think that's exactly what we need in the middle to break up the Serbs attacks. Both of them are good tacklers and Cullen especially looks to have excellent stamina. None of those two would be intimidated and I'd have no issue with their relative inexperience. 

Molumby is absolutely not a good tackler. Its the weakest aspect of his game and he tends to take more man than ball when he tries it. Its also not particularly a strength of Cullen's game. It would be better to have one or the other alongside McCarthy for the moment as that's the one thing he does well and then let Cullen or Molumby try to orchestrate play a bit as that is the first area we tend to go wrong in our endeavours to hunt for an elusive goal.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I would have no issue with Cullen and Molumby both starting as I think that's exactly what we need in the middle to break up the Serbs attacks. Both of them are good tacklers and Cullen especially looks to have excellent stamina. None of those two would be intimidated and I'd have no issue with their relative inexperience. 

Molumby is absolutely not a good tackler. Its the weakest aspect of his game and he tends to take more man than ball when he tries it. Its also not particularly a strength of Cullen's game. It would be better to have one or the other alongside McCarthy for the moment as that's the one thing he does well and then let Cullen or Molumby try to orchestrate play a bit as that is the first area we tend to go wrong in our endeavours to hunt for an elusive goal.

I take your point that if McCarthy starts then realistically you could only have Cullen or Molumby starting alongside him but as far as I remember Molumby won a fair few tackles during the NL that weren't fouls. He did well overall.  

Cullen is a good tackler imo and I've seen Molumby playing some decent long range passes so you could have a good combination there between the two. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:03pm
I'd probably start Cullen alongside McCarthy for the moment with Molumby as back up. I don't think either is quite international standard as yet but certainly better than the alternatives such as the ever anonymous Hendrick and Hourihane that tend to constitute our midfield. 
I'd have Brady then in a more attacking role ahead of them to do the creative stuff and Knight maybe to fill the wide attack role as he provides more threat than O'Dowda is ever likely to.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:16pm
away to Serbia Hendrick and McCarthy will start one of the young lads I feel will do well to start if we have everyone.
A point away to Serbia will be positive consider our results lately 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I'd probably start Cullen alongside McCarthy for the moment with Molumby as back up. I don't think either is quite international standard as yet but certainly better than the alternatives such as the ever anonymous Hendrick and Hourihane that tend to constitute our midfield. 
I'd have Brady then in a more attacking role ahead of them to do the creative stuff and Knight maybe to fill the wide attack role as he provides more threat than O'Dowda is ever likely to.

Yah Brady did well I thought in that No 10 role and he's probably the only real player we have that can slot in there. 

I wouldn't completely write O'Dowda off yet though. There was one game (can't remember which one) I thought he did pretty well cutting in from the right and looked lively. Knight deserves to start over him though and is more of a potential threat.  

Edited by irishmufc - 23 Jan 2021 at 10:27pm
Benhur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:01pm
Not lining out tonight.. not sure why 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 4:42am
Been injured for the last two games after captaining the side the week before that. Anderlecht have underperformed apparently and judging by some of the media coverage he’s been a big miss for them
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:20pm
Amazingly, there is a YouTube channel called Balon Irlandes which is a Spanish language channel dedicated to Irish football. They have a 10 min discussion on Josh Cullen between two Spanish lads.

Neither of them appear to be Javier. What is happening?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:45pm
Back from injury & starting for Anderlecht in the game V Genk
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:51pm
Good to hear. For some reason you get the impression Kenny isn’t a big fan but I’ve been v impressed any time I’ve seen him.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:19pm
Cullen should be starting for Ireland. Never spectacular, but so composed from box to box. Really impressive for Anderlecht this eve. Some engine on him.  

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:31pm
My French isn't great and my Dutch is even worse but from reading online it sounds like Cullen put in a really good performance this evening. The general view from Anderlecht fans is that his return was the big difference between the team's good performance tonight and some weaker recent performances.

Great to hear, although I fear he has little chance of starting against Serbia.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Cullen should be starting for Ireland. Never spectacular, but so composed from box to box. Really impressive for Anderlecht this eve. Some engine on him.  

Yah I think he deserves a shout at being a regular starter. I don't think James McCarthy is going to play enough football up until next month's opening qualifiers. I would have Cullen keeping a close eye on Tadic who ripped us apart in the 2-2 match back in 2016. 

Haven't seen much of Serbia recently but I'm sure a lot of their attacking threat flows through him and given Cullen's mobility, he is our best option for that shadowing role. 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:41pm

Yah I think he deserves a shout at being a regular starter. I don't think James McCarthy is going to play enough football up until next month's opening qualifiers. I would have Cullen keeping a close eye on Tadic who ripped us apart in the 2-2 match back in 2016. 

Haven't seen much of Serbia recently but I'm sure a lot of their attacking threat flows through him and given Cullen's mobility, he is our best option for that shadowing role. 
The key word you said there is mobility. Whatever the style of play. Players have to be able to get around the pitch. Hendrick, Hourihane and Brady are ‘luxuries’ we can’t afford. If Kenny starts those three he is making a rod for his own back.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

The key word you said there is mobility. Whatever the style of play. Players have to be able to get around the pitch. Hendrick, Hourihane and Brady are ‘luxuries’ we can’t afford. If Kenny starts those three he is making a rod for his own back.

Whatever about anything else, mobile is one thing Hendrick is, he certainly gets around the pitch and covers a lot of ground
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Loc Loc wrote:

Good to hear. For some reason you get the impression Kenny isn’t a big fan but I’ve been v impressed any time I’ve seen him.

He had a very good year at Charlton but got injured and has been in and out since start of last season. I reckon it wont be long until he is involved a lot more but looks like McCarthy is ahead of him for the holding role of the 3.

Anderlecht fans are absolutely raving about him tonight and in general. great to see. I actually think in some ways he is very similar to a younger Glen Whelan. I know a lot of people will hate that comment but I honestly mean it as a compliment. Whelan was a very handy player in his prime.

Edited by Nialler - 07 Feb 2021 at 8:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 61>
  Share Topic