Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 64>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Cannot see why he shouldn't be looked at in upcoming friendly matches....O Dowda was.
Friendlies? He HAS to start against Austria.
Sponsored Links

el2nz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el2nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:18pm
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by el2nz el2nz wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39949132

"Page cannot be found" just tell us!
Hi Lads
el2nz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el2nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:53pm
Oops:

You know as a footballer that the fans have taken to you when you get your own chant, but Bradford City's on-loan midfielder Josh Cullen has a pretty unique one.

Sung to the tune of "Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus, the 21-year-old is compared favourably to France legend Zinedine Zidane in the chorus by the Bantams faithful.

His form has not just been noticed on the terraces, as the Republic of Ireland Under-21 man has won the EFL's Young Player of the Month award for April.

"It's nice to hear that from the stands, but the main thing is the result and playing for the team," Cullen, who is on loan at Bradford from West Ham, told BBC Sport.

"It's another one you dream of, a bit of a surreal feeling as a young player hearing it.

"It is a good feeling but I think you've got to try to blank that out as much as possible - obviously you appreciate the support, but when it comes to business you focus about what is happening on the pitch.

"It's obviously a bit far to say I'm better than Zidane, but it's a good feeling to have that support from the fans and I can only say thank you to them."

After joining Bradford on loan towards the end of last season, Cullen has spent the whole of 2016-17 with the League One club.

Southend-born Cullen has played 45 times, including scoring his first, and only so far, professional goal against MK Dons.

Josh Cullen
Cullen featured against Champions League finalists Juventus for West Ham during pre-season in the first game at London Stadium

"I can't thank everyone at the club and the surrounding area enough to make me feel welcome and making sure that everything is OK with me on and off the pitch," he added.

"It's the first time I've been away from home for a long period of time and it's been brilliant."

His final appearance for Bradford before returning to the Premier League club for pre-season will be the League One play-off final against Millwall at Wembley on Saturday.

The Bantams, who lost at the the semi-final stage to the Lions last season, are looking to return to second-tier football for the first time since 2004.

"It would be silly of me to say this is not a massive game - probably one of the biggest in my career to date," he said.

"I'm looking forward to the occasion without getting too carried away - you've got the play the game and treat it as a normal game. If we do that, hopefully we won't go too far wrong.

"When you're a young lad running around in the garden it's one of the stadiums you dream of playing at. It's the first time I've played there and hopefully the first of a few times."

Josh Cullen
Cullen started 40 of Bradford's 46 League One games this season

Cullen made his debut for West Ham against FC Lusitans in the Europa League in July 2015 and made four outings for the Hammers, including one substitute appearance in the Premier League.

He played for England's youth teams growing up, but switched his allegiance to Republic of Ireland and has featured for their Under-18, Under-19 and Under-21 sides.

The boyhood West Ham fan wants to make his mark at his parent club, but would not rule out a return to West Yorkshire.

"At the minute my main focus is to get into the West Ham first team - that is what the whole loan has been about," added Cullen.

"The main goal for me, and my dream growing up, is to play for West Ham and that is still what I'm striving to achieve."

Previous EFL Young Player of the Month winners

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:53pm
He won EFL young player of the month, I assume it is related to that with an interview asking about the playoff FINAL.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:54pm
He's not better than Zidane though, terrible chant.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

He's not better than Zidane though, terrible chant.
It is one of the big problems with chants these days, when somebody comes up with something new, clever and inventive it is being chanted by every team in Britain and Ireland without any sense of shame or realisation that it doesn't even work.
The first footballing cover of 'Achy Breaky Heart' was the Celtic fans for McCourt, which was funny as he was a cult hero rather than a key player, I think I have heard a version from every League 2 club this seaon alone.
The same with Wigan's Grigg chant; genius at first, now it makes you want to punch anybody who sings that a fella who scored 1 in 30 is on fire, never mind the Nordies flagrant and offensive abuse of it.
The one that is really get on my tits is the abuse of 'the Logical song' by LOI fans, it is just embarrassing, especially as the words don't make any sense in relation to anyone in the league.
Rant over.LOL
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The same with Wigan's Grigg chant; genius at first, now it makes you want to punch anybody who sings that a fella who scored 1 in 30 is on fire, never mind the Nordies flagrant and offensive abuse of it.
Er, he's our player too, so I think we're entitled to sing it.

Meanwhile...

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Meanwhile...

Aye, when he has scored a goal, or even played a f**king game. I don't need to our muppets sing it again, thank you.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Meanwhile...

Pretty sure the chant was done before Will Grigg.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:26pm
Wigan fan 'created' Will Grigg's on fire, he won a season ticket for his troubles.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:27pm
Pretty sure it wasn't.
Wigan were the first team to come up with the chant were they not? Then it became the theme tune of Northern Ireland's Euro campaign, as he was in their squad.

Was cringe when our fans then copied it I thought.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 19 May 2017 at 2:28pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:28pm
Am constantly confused at how much Southern English teams are convinced that everybody else just doesn't understand things.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:30pm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/17/will-griggs-on-fire-fan-behind-the-cult-chant-given-a-free-wigan/

Here is the fella! I reckon with a name like that he qualifies for Ireland in the Eurovision too.LOL
el2nz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el2nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:34pm
He deserves having to watch Wigan all season for inflicting that on us.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Pretty sure it wasn't.
Wigan were the first team to come up with the chant were they not? Then it became the theme tune of Northern Ireland's Euro campaign, as he was in their squad.

Was cringe when our fans then copied it I thought.

Maybe you're right, thought I seen somewhere that Newcastle fans done it first with Mitrovic?

Found it more cringeworthy for NI when Grigg didn't get a minute of playing time yet the mighty Josh Magennis did.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:23pm
I think that was part of the whole joke.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I think that was part of the whole joke.
Exactly!

In fact, when we played Germany in Hannover (post-Euro2016), a couple of German fans came up to our group and "congratulated" us (can't think of a better word) on the Will Grigg Song and wondered whether he'd be playing this time.

I replied: "Do you not realise that he doesn't actually exist?"

They looked at me a bit blank, so I went on "Have you ever actually seen him?"

I had them going for a bit, until I couldn't help laughing myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 64>
  Share Topic