You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jonny Hayes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:18pm
One of the few Celtic players who performedSmile
Sponsored Links

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Reillers88 Reillers88 wrote:

In the first half he was one of three Celtic players that weren't a disgrace - you will never fault him for effort that's for sure. I think he's still worth a place in Ireland's squad but I'm slightly biased 
If McClean can still get a game for us then there is no reason why Hayes shouldn't. Would be a great option off the bench 
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 10:22am
Has  been a consistent performer for Celtic this year and surely merits being in the squad.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:12am
A very consistent and reliable player who was one of Celtic better players yesterday.

Deserves a place in the squad.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 1:32pm
C'mon, the guy is 32.

He's playing well but he'd get 2 or maybe 3 games for ireland and that would be pretty much that.

We need a long term strategy, not quick and temporary fixes.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 7:36am
Exactly. Fair play to him and everything, he's done well for himself in Scotland but he's nowhere near international standard if we're serious about qualifying for finals and he isn't going to get any better either. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 8:11am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Exactly. Fair play to him and everything, he's done well for himself in Scotland but he's nowhere near international standard if we're serious about qualifying for finals and he isn't going to get any better either. 
By that metric we couldn’t field a team! Also, if we were serious about qualifying for finals we shouldn’t be settling for draws in Georgia.

I think his age means his ship has probably sailed, but Hayes has been a far better signing for Celtic than I expected. He has become a cult hero there and performances like Sunday show why. He has some energy for a man who looks 84.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:45pm
Set to leave Celtic upon the expiry of his contract. Back to Aberdeen perhaps?
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Set to leave Celtic upon the expiry of his contract. Back to Aberdeen perhaps?
That's what I thought too, but it seems a few Championship clubs are interested. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 4:05pm
Preston and Stoke City the front runners to sign him at the moment. Could well be others in the Championship- he's an experienced pro, super fit, Irish international and in the winning habit with Celtic. His versatility and ability to play different positions will be attractive to teams who will relish the opportunity of getting a player like this on a free, especially in the current financial climate.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 4:17pm
Stoke would be a strange one, he's basically an older McClean so not entirely sure why they'd need him.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 10:18am
Cardiff interested as well now. They are still in the mix for promotion as are Preston, but Stoke are in real danger of relegation. Alex Neil at Preston probably knows Scottish football the best and knows what Jonny Hayes can do. WIth the Championship such a dogfight at the best of times and games coming thick and fast, a quality left sided player like Hayes available on a free would be a bonus for any of these teams. At 32, this will likely be his last lucrative contract so he'll no doubt opt for whoever can offer the best financial deal.
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 10:48am
MON trying to build a squad no one player is going to play all year in that division .
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Stoke would be a strange one, he's basically an older McClean so not entirely sure why they'd need him.

Maybe not so strange?

Michael should know what Hayes can do from living in Scotland and watching lots of football up there.

Stoke are in real trouble with FFP (overspent hugely in the Prem, then again after they were relegated). So a 30-something from Scotland who won't command a long contract, and who would allow them to release a high earner (maybe even McClean?), could suit their finances.

As for Hayes himself, no-one in Scotland is going to give him anything like his Celtic wages in the present climate, so a Championship club like Stoke could represent his last big payday - maybe one or two years, with an option?

And as the previous poster says, it's a 46 game season, possibly with 3 more p/off games, and the remainder of 2019/20 to cram in before then - defo need a big squad.

Edited by Territorial - 01 Jun 2020 at 1:24pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 3:44pm
Preston are apparently out of the running. They run a tight financial ship at Deepdale and the current situation is biting. They are focusing on being able to pay their existing squad and push for the play-offs, then see what can be done in the summer. Michael O'Neill would indeed be knowledgeable about the Scottish leagues and possibly sees Hayes as cover for the likes of McClean and Stephen Ward, both players also in their 30s. Aberdeen cannot afford Jonny much as they would like him back. Most likely departures from Stoke if they need to balance their books are probably Joe Allen or the young striker Campbell, who has been attracting a lot of attention.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Most likely departures from Stoke if they need to balance their books are probably Joe Allen or the young striker Campbell, who has been attracting a lot of attention.

Michael got Allen going again, after the Stoke fans had been on his back and as arguably his classiest player, I think Michael will see him as key to their promotion hopes next season.

As for Campbell, Stoke fans had felt sure he was on his way, so it was a real feather in Michael's cap when he personally persuaded him to stay. He won't want to lose his best young goalscorer if he can help it.

From what I gather, the financial situation at Stoke is a strange one. Previous managers signed a load of duds for big fees who they now want off their books. But they can't sell them outright just yet, since they won't get their money back, and selling for less would realise a loss on the books for FFP purposes which they couldn't get past the EFL (esp players with 2 or 3 years amortisation still to run).

So instead they're trying to loan players out, to at least get their wages off the books.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 5:18pm
Apparently he has deferred his entire first year of wages to rejoin Aberdeen. Either he really loves the club, or there were absolutely no other offers for him on the table...
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 6:45pm
Dundee Utd and Blackpool were in the mix apparently but not the Championship teams that had been originally touted. He has stuck with a team he knows and is a good signing for them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic