You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jonathan Hill appointed FAI CEO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Surely the performances on the pitch have a lot more to do with the sponsorship issues than the performance of the CEO. Only so much he can do given the team's performances in the last year - sponsors want to associate with teams that win competitive games every now and again.

However it seems clear from this thread that he is a prime candidate for a fall guy for the pro Kenny crowd who are desperately scraping around looking for someone else to blame. He'll either get the blame for sacking him or get the blame for anything else that goes wrong if he keeps him on.

Cute.
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me<b> You Tell Me wrote:

Surely the performances on the pitch have a lot more to do with the sponsorship issues than the performance of the CEO.
Only so much he can do given the team's performances in the last year - sponsors want to associate with teams that win competitive games every now and again.

However it seems clear from this thread that he is a prime candidate for a fall guy for the pro Kenny crowd who are desperately scraping around looking for someone else to blame. He'll either get the blame for sacking him or get the blame for anything else that goes wrong if he keeps him on.

The lack of a primary sponsor is a legacy issue of how the former CEO very publicly ran the organisation into the ground. It's nothing to do with performances on the pitch. The FAI is a toxic brand at the moment. At least in fairness to Hill, it looks like he's slowly turning this around. It will take a long time though 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 12:28am
Pip, your clearly talking rubbish when blaming Hill for the sponsorship issues. Brand was toxic when he took over. Seems to be turning things around on that front. 

Also saying it took him 6 months to get over here ...... remember the travel restrictions?????

I agree with u re Dervan & Mcglue. Only logical reason I can think of there is contractual out ongoing investigations. However o don't know that just speculating
It's not me it's you:-)
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I poster criticised him Confused 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 6:41pm
I don't know if Hill is any use within the FAI. But to be still without a men's sponsor when the team is regularly filling up home games is very poor. Considering his main selling point as an appointment was the commercial end. 

Anyone have a proper insight to his tenure so far?

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I don't know if Hill is any use within the FAI. But to be still without a men's sponsor when the team is regularly filling up home games is very poor. Considering his main selling point as an appointment was the commercial end. 

Sounds like a typical FAI appointment.

Edited by Double Maxim - 06 Jan 2023 at 6:54pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 7:13pm

They allegedly had one lined up but they pulled out due to changes in the economy.

Though this alleged contract with Castore is rumoured to be the biggest of any deal the FAI has ever had in their history.

I dont know enough about him or have any insight into how things are running behind the scenes but from the outside looking in he seems to be doing on OK job, certainly better than any of his predecessors but thats not setting the bar very high!

Under his watch

Sky, Cadburys, Evoke.ie have come on board as sponsors of the WNT and Womens FAI Cup.

SSE renewed as sponsors for the WNL and LOI.

Extra.ie renewed as sponsors of the mens FAI Cup.

DHL renewed as official logistics sponsors for mens and womens teams.

Aircoach came on board as official coach transport for mens and womens teams.

Stat Sport came on board as official GPS tracking / data for mens and womens teams.

Bank of Ireland came on board as official banking partner.

Carlsberg extended their contracts as official beers sponsors.

So from the outside looking in, looks to be doing ok

Especially when season tickets are at record numbers / sold out, mens FAI cup final hit record numbers, crowds at Tallaght for the womens team and the FAI Cup finals were record numbers. All womens games were shown on RTE as was the womens cup final. TG4 picked up some WNL games too.

Now how much of that if any is his doing who knows, but its been on his time there.

Though just 2 years prior Delaney had the women changing their tracksuits in airport jax to share with the other womens teams on top of them having non charted flights with multiple layovers. Not to mention the burden of being left out of pocket not being reimbursed for playing for their country.

Edited by Bandwagon - 06 Jan 2023 at 7:20pm
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 7:28pm
Yeah but has he bought anyone a rake of pints? 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Big smile Big smile Big smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 8:07pm

LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

LOL

Or paid for a train from Bratislava to Zilina
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

They allegedly had one lined up but they pulled out due to changes in the economy.

Though this alleged contract with Castore is rumoured to be the biggest of any deal the FAI has ever had in their history.

I dont know enough about him or have any insight into how things are running behind the scenes but from the outside looking in he seems to be doing on OK job, certainly better than any of his predecessors but thats not setting the bar very high!

Under his watch

Sky, Cadburys, Evoke.ie have come on board as sponsors of the WNT and Womens FAI Cup.

SSE renewed as sponsors for the WNL and LOI.

Extra.ie renewed as sponsors of the mens FAI Cup.

DHL renewed as official logistics sponsors for mens and womens teams.

Aircoach came on board as official coach transport for mens and womens teams.

Stat Sport came on board as official GPS tracking / data for mens and womens teams.

Bank of Ireland came on board as official banking partner.

Carlsberg extended their contracts as official beers sponsors.

So from the outside looking in, looks to be doing ok

Especially when season tickets are at record numbers / sold out, mens FAI cup final hit record numbers, crowds at Tallaght for the womens team and the FAI Cup finals were record numbers. All womens games were shown on RTE as was the womens cup final. TG4 picked up some WNL games too.

Now how much of that if any is his doing who knows, but its been on his time there.

Though just 2 years prior Delaney had the women changing their tracksuits in airport jax to share with the other womens teams on top of them having non charted flights with multiple layovers. Not to mention the burden of being left out of pocket not being reimbursed for playing for their country.

Thanks Bandwagon good insights.  

The main thing with him is you never hear from him. Which is so refreshing they should give him the job for life 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 10:36pm
He's 2 years into his tenure and he still hasn't moved to Ireland. That's a massive red flag for me. Unprecedented across global FA's surley.

His handling of both the 'video gate' issue after the England game and the 'up the RA' nonsense after the women qualified still don't sit well with me.

IMO there is a better qualified person, an Irishman to boot, who is currently in the equivalent role in the Welsh FA. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 10:38pm
Does he not live in Ireland?
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 10:39pm
Plenty of people fly in five days a week and go home. Is he doing something like that?
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 11:30pm

Plenty of people fly in five days a week and go home. Is he doing something like that?

As far as I know yeah, it is completely normal. Done it myself for 2 years working 4 days a week in London well before the days of broadband/zoom/teams.

As long as hes in the office / doing his job who gives a sh*te where he lives?

JD lived here for the 15 years or so he was in the job and didnt do a f**king tap like LOL

Also theres a very good reason both us and the Welsh FA have ended up with external appointments with no prior involvements in their FA.

Edited by Bandwagon - 06 Jan 2023 at 11:33pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 1:30am
Noel Mooney is a chancer from the JD era. A one time car salesman that JD hired and worked alongside Frank Gavin of all people. Another absolute chancer.

He was full of praise at the 2017 FAI AGM which were basically used for people to lick JDs arse so much that Kim Jong-Un would be proud of him.

"Here he described John Delaney as a “a young CEO who managed to make the Association fit for purpose”, and told those present that “the FAI is one of our most progressive and well-run federations…it really is a super federation and you can be proud of yourselves, the board and all the members here.”

Two years later it was sinking like the Titanic. He's also buddies with Jonathan Hall. The lad that carried out the report which suggested the FAI create the Executive Vice President position for Delaney and possibly had a role in the Oman friendlies.

Edited by J89 - 07 Jan 2023 at 1:31am
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

As far as I know yeah, it is completely normal. Done it myself for 2 years working 4 days a week in London well before the days of broadband/zoom/teams.

As long as hes in the office / doing his job who gives a sh*te where he lives?

JD lived here for the 15 years or so he was in the job and didnt do a f**king tap like LOL

Also theres a very good reason both us and the Welsh FA have ended up with external appointments with no prior involvements in their FA.

Would agree with this.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>
  Share Topic