Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jonathan Afolabi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:25am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I watched a good bit of this game. Afolabi did certain things well, was in a good position to score the goal and held the ball up well at times.

However he was also very laboured in possession at times, gave the ball away a lot and missed an open goal near the end.

Being honest, he looks like he has found his level for now at least with Dundee. Based on the times I've seen him playing for Dundee and Dunfermline in the last year I'd be surprised if he ever developed to senior international standard. I suppose you'd never know, but I can definitely see why Southampton let him go and Celtic didn't even bother to get him involved in pre-season with their senior squad this season.

Hopefully he can show more for our under 21s in the next qualifying campaign. But he will be under pressure for his place with the likes of Obafemi and Kayode being eligible as well. There's also Ryan Cassidy, although he doesn't seem to be kicking on either at Accrington. Parrott might even be involved with the Under 21s at times as he doesn't look ready for the senior squad yet.

You spent a part of your day watching Dundee vs Bonnyrigg Rose? How do you put yourself through that?
How I would feel about EPl or Champions League, but would travel a fair distance to watch a non-league game I have no connection too! Would be far more interested in Bonnyrigg Rose and would have watched this if I had known it was available.
In fact, with the way football, particularly international football, has gone, I would much rather watch Bonnyrigg than Ireland.
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:25am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He got a lot of racist abuse on social media I see 
f**king disgraceful, btw. Ban these idiots for life 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 6:44pm
saw on sky sports news the case was closed as the racist poster is in turkey....??? 
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 7:07pm
He must have a decent VPN.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:26pm
ah the famous Turkey branch of the Dundee fan club
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 4:48pm
Signed for Ayr United in the Scottish championship for the season. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 5:58pm
Good move, the manager there rated him highly and should help him develop. Ayr also recently signed Sean McGinty from Morton and Daire O'Connor from Cliftonville.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:09pm
The weakest of the loan clubs he has gone to so far. At least that hopefully means he'll get more game time than he had at Dundee. Needs to really tear it up this season if he is to have any future in the game in the UK.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 1:48pm

Celtic listening to Afolabi offers

Celtic are listening to offers for Ireland Under-21 striker Jonathan Afolabi.

The former Southampton forward is currently on loan at Scottish Championship side Ayr United. 

A number of Championship and League One teams in England are interested, with clubs abroad also pursuing a deal for the 21-year-old.

Sky Sports

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 08 Jan 2022 at 1:48pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 2:19pm
Strange there is apparently so much higher level interest. Then again, look at Okoflex-another who didn't cut it at Celtic but now making the bench at West Ham and looking on the verge of a PL breakthrough.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 2:28pm
Possibly a case of an agent working overtime here. He has had poor loans at Dundee and Ayr in the last two seasons, so it's hard to believe there is much interest at a high level unless someone is looking to fill a gap in an Under 23 team.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I've watched him play a number of times and my personal opinion is that he's not going make a career out of football. 

I hope im proved very wrong and have egg on my face but I just see him struggling 

Looked very good at underage for us and Southampton but has looked well off the mark in Scotland but hes still very young and it could be the case of a wrong move and just not settling up there.

I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say he couldn't make a career out of football, theres been far worse who have done very well for themselves in the game, particularly at home.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 8:56pm
Another step backwards for Afolabi, he has joined Airdrie down in Scottish League 1 on loan. Would be roughly the equivalent of the LoI first division.

I think his Celtic contract is up at the end of the season. Likely to head back to Ireland this summer I'd say.

Edited by You Tell Me - 11 Feb 2022 at 8:58pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Another step backwards for Afolabi, he has joined Airdrie down in Scottish League 1 on loan. Would be roughly the equivalent of the LoI first division.

I think his Celtic contract is up at the end of the season. Likely to head back to Ireland this summer I'd say.

Has another season left on his contract. Himself, Connell, and O'Connor all signed four year contracts when they joined in 2019.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 9:13pm
Was looking at it there, he initially signed until June 2022, but actually signed a 1 year extension to that at the start of last season. So yes, he has another year on his contract. 

Not sure what kind of money he's on but I wonder if Celtic might just negotiate a payoff with him this summer, he doesn't have any future there.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 9:33pm
With Barry Coffee and Aaron Bolger both with Cork City, I wonder will Colin Healy use his Celtic / Ireland underage connections persuade him to come down here.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 11 Feb 2022 at 9:45pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 5:01am
Is Lawal still injured?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Is Lawal still injured?

Yeah he's still out since November. Thankfully Abankwah is there to slot into CB for the U19s and long term he'll probably be the better CB.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic