You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jon Walters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 75>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 1:14pm

Denis Smith: All is forgiven after Walters move

PART%20OF%20THE%20LINE-UP:%20New%20signing%20Jon%20Walters,%20second%20right,%20joins%20in%20a%20training%20session%20with%20team-mates%20Rory%20Delap,%20left,%20Andy%20Wilkinson,%20who%20could%20be%20recalled%20tomorrow%20to%20deal%20with%20the%20threat%20of%20Gareth%20Bale,%20and%20Abdoulaye%20Faye.%20%20Picture:%20Shaun%20Smith

PART OF THE LINE-UP: New signing Jon Walters, second right, joins in a training session with team-mates Rory Delap, left, Andy Wilkinson, who could be recalled tomorrow to deal with the threat of Gareth Bale, and Abdoulaye Faye. Picture: Shaun Smith

I'M glad Jon Walters has signed for Stoke because I've got a bone to pick with him.

Jon was barely 20-years-old when he played for me at Wrexham – and a pretty good job he did for one season at The Racecourse.

But when he was out of contract, he not only left, but left for Wrexham's biggest rivals Chester.

Well, we didn't have two pennies to rub together in those days, so there was nothing we could do to keep him. But Chester, Jon? 

Oh well, I suppose I can forgive him anything now that he's signed for us.

I took Jon from Hull on a free transfer after remembering his impressive form as a youngster in the reserves at both Blackburn and Bolton before that.

He played up front for me at Wrexham and did a great job because he was a good target-man and would run the channels all day long.

He's a 100 per cent grafter, in training and in games, and just the kind of player Tony Pulis loves.

Back then, I could see him playing in the Championship one day because he was always willing to work and listen.

But now he's got his chance in the Premier League, and I must say I'm genuinely delighted for him because it's great reward for all the hard work he's put in down the years.

He was prepared to drop down the divisions and prove himself on the way back up again, so there's a lesson there for many players.

It will be interesting to see where Tony plays him against Tottenham tomorrow.

If he does play wide, he'll put a shift in for us and he's bright enough to know when to join in because he understands the game.

The question I can't answer is whether or not he's got a trick or two up his sleeve to get past his man out wide.

Tottenham at home is a toughie, make no mistake, but after watching their first two games on TV against Man City and Young Boys, I reckon Ricardo Fuller should be licking his lips in anticipation.

That's because Michael Dawson has started the season so poorly in the heart of their defence.

His positional sense has looked dodgy, he's got caught flat a few times, his touch has been unsure and he hasn't seemed to know when to drop off. If he can win an England cap on that kind of showing, then it's only a matter of time before Ryan Shawcross gets the nod.

If I was Harry Redknapp, a new centre-half would certainly be top of my priorities before next week's deadline.

I just hope he doesn't come knocking on Stoke's door for one of ours.

It will be interesting to see what Harry does in attack if Jermain Defoe is ruled out injured, as everyone is expecting.

I think he has to go for Peter Crouch's height against Stoke, so that would probably mean Robbie Keane alongside him as Crouch and Roman Pavlyuchenko would be a bit similar in attack.

Aaron Lennon and Gareth Bale will be handfuls out wide, so it's vital our full-backs play well tomorrow.

I'm just wondering whether that might mean a recall for Andy Wilkinson at right-back because Tony might fancy him more against Bale.

Tottenham wouldn't have picked Stoke away between their two Champions League ties if they'd had the choice.

So let's hope the Stoke boys prove as much tomorrow by getting our first points on the board.

Sounds like a Trap player.

Edited by Propagandhi® - 20 Aug 2010 at 1:15pm
Sponsored Links

jb37 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:10pm
keep up the good work prop, always in with updates and news first. good man.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 2:14pm
scored on his debut for stoke
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Is he playing up top or out wide Citz?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 2:29pm
couldnt tell ya mcg, just watching sky sports coverage of the carling cup
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:00pm

played Saturday against Spurs didn;t he ?
heyirish View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

yea and he scored. they just didnt count the goal!!!
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by heyirish heyirish wrote:

Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

yea and he scored. they just didnt count the goal!!!

that f***er Blatter to blame I bet !
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 7:34pm
Reckon he will get a call up?
Twitter: DaveOGrady1
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Reckon he will get a call up?

He'll certainly have a very good chance if he gets in at Stoke. Definately an option for us. We could certainly do with another back up option up front...
Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 8:21am

Stoke forward Jon Walters has warned West Ham there will be no end to their difficult start to the season at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday.

The Hammers are the only Barclays Premier League team not to register a point from their opening four matches and are bottom of the table.

They will travel to Stoke without manager Avram Grant and defender Tal Ben-Haim, who are observing the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur which involves fasting and prayer over the course of Friday night and Saturday.

And despite their recent good record at the Britannia Stadium, where they had won four successive matches until last season's 2-1 defeat, Walters is confident West Ham's difficulties will continue.

"West Ham haven't had a win yet and are struggling and Stoke is a very difficult place to come to," said the £2.75million summer signing from Ipswich.

"They struggled last year and haven't started well so it hasn't surprised anyone.

"I'm not surprised to see them struggling because anyone can and I'm sure their heads are down at the moment and it won't get any better against us I don't think.

"They will be scrapping for everything they can but I'm not sure how they will be with their manager not being there and being away from home - it's not a good place to come to, the Britannia.

"We have to make the stadium like a fortress, giving it everything in our home games and trying to pick up what we can away and the fans play a major part in that."

The Potters recorded their first win of the season with a home victory over Aston Villa on Monday.

Walters believes they will now be able to build on the confidence gained from that result after a testing start to the season which pitted them against two of last season's top four in champions Chelsea and Tottenham.

"It is important to go in to Saturday's game with that belief," he said.

"No-one likes to be on no points and so the more we can get now will create a gap and a little cushion (to the bottom of the table).

"You always want to get the first win of the season early doors and now we want to push on.

"The start we had was not the best but Chelsea away was always going to be difficult to pick up points.

"We've got to start picking up more points now and we have some good games coming up against West Ham, Fulham, Newcastle, Blackburn and Bolton.

"We're not just playing the stronger teams like Chelsea away so those are games we will be looking to get something from."

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 8:41am

STEPPING up from the Championship is a challenge for most players, writes Michael Baggaley.

Jon Walters has the added pressure of Ricardo Fuller, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Tuncay in a queue to take his place.

Players of lesser character and ability might feel a little intimidated, but the 26-year-old is taking everything in his stride.

In fact, Walters has arguably been Stoke's best performer in his four games since his £2.75m move from Ipswich.

He has certainly become an instant hit with supporters who have been impressed by the industry, tenacity and no little quality from a player who was turning out for Chester City in League Two just three years ago.

Walters said: "I'm very pleased with the way things have started for me.

"The manager knows what I'm about, having watched me for the last couple of years.

"He knows what I'm going to give and what I'll bring to the team.

"I'm the type of player who, no matter how it's going for me, even if I give it away 10 times in a game I still want the ball and will still give everything I can.

"I'll always do everything I can on the training ground to give myself every chance to play."

With that attitude, it is no wonder the former Ipswich skipper was targeted by a manager who places a high value on players who refuse to give up.

That spirit was obvious in Stoke's 2-1 comeback victory against Aston Villa on Monday after they trailed at the break.

Walters says the appearance of Tony Pulis at half-time played a part after the players expected him to miss the game following the death of his mother.

Walters is not disclosing details of what was apparently a ferocious half-time team talk.

However, he said: "He gave us that lift we needed. It shows the professionalism and character of the gaffer and showed what the club means to him. It obviously means a hell of a lot."

Walters is making the most of his second chance in the top flight having been a youth player at Blackburn and then playing a handful of games at Bolton before dropping down.

Spells at Hull, Crewe, Barnsley, S****horpe, Wrexham and Chester followed before a £100,000 move to Ipswich in January 2007 gave him the opportunity to show he could play at a higher level.

He earned a reputation as one of the best players in the Championship, although that was largely for his efforts on the right of midfield.

He has impressed as a striker so far for Stoke, but does not have a preference where he plays.

"Not at all," he said. "I just prefer to play. I can play up front or on the left or right. They're all strings to my bow and give the manager options."

Pulis has plenty of those at the moment, having named what must have been the strongest set of substitutes in the club's history for Monday's win over Villa.

Fuller, Jermaine Pennant and Glenn Whelan came on to help the side to victory, meaning Gudjohnsen, Asmir Begovic, Danny Higginbotham and Andy Wilkinson were not required.

That Tuncay couldn't even get a place on the bench was further indication of the strength in depth at the club.

Walters added: "It's all about squads now. There are players here who haven't played much yet, but we're all part of a big squad here all together.

"Over the course of the season I think every player will be used.

"There will be times when players who are sitting out now will be playing a major part.

"That's what it's all about. Whoever's playing, the lads will be right behind them because it's all about the team and the squad here."

Should he continue his club form, the Republic of Ireland B international must have a chance of breaking into Giovanni Trapattoni's squad in time for the European Championships in 2012.

However, Walters, who would be competing with Liam Lawrence for a place in the Irish team, says international recognition wasn't a major factor in making the move to Stoke.

He admitted: "It was at the back of my mind. There was talk of it last year, but it never came about.

"But first and foremost I'm just concentrating on doing the best I can here.

"You have to be playing at your club to be giving yourself a chance for internationals."

In the meantime, the modest Walters believes his own game can only improve from playing and training alongside the likes of Kenwyne Jones and Gudjohnsen.

However, he will not be attempting to emulate Jones's spectacular backward-flip goal celebration.

"I don't know about that," he said. "Maybe I can do a forward roll."

Edited by Propagandhi® - 17 Sep 2010 at 8:42am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 8:04am
Walters could have scored if Kenwyne Jones wasn't a selfish arsehole.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 10:14am
Walters Hits Back at Keane

Former Blue Jon Walters has hit back at Roy Keane in one of this morning’s tabloids, claiming that he had to send a photo of his vomit to the Town boss in order to prove he was suffering from a virus ahead of the Exeter Carling Cup tie.

In an interview with the News of the World, Walters says he is by no means the "bad egg” he was claimed to be at the time of his £2.75 million move to Stoke City and says he missed the Exeter match because he was genuinely ill.

Walters said: “We had Exeter away and all during the week everybody in my family had a vomiting bug. So I quarantined myself from the wife and kids to try and avoid it.

"But at 3am on the Tuesday morning I was throwing up. I even took a picture of my sick and sent it to the physio because I knew Roy wouldn't believe me, what with it being a cup tie, clubs being interested in me and all that sort of thing.”

Walters has made five starts and has scored one goal since moving to the Britannia Stadium last month.

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 10:25am
Starting again today for Stoke.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 10:08am
Just after scoring his first goal for Stoke v Blackburn

Edited by grannyrule - 02 Oct 2010 at 10:09am
Carmody 10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmody 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 10:34am
Clap
Out of order
Padraig88 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 10:57am

This is his second goal for Stoke. It's his second league goal.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 75>
  Share Topic