You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Joe Patrick Finn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Wes_Wanderers Wes_Wanderers wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

By that logic Declan Rice and Jack Grealish are Irish. Or Martin Keown or Steve Bruce or Nathan Redmond.

But they're clearly not. If he decides to become involved in our setup at some stage in future he will of course be welcomed and will be considered Irish at that point. Otherwise he's a Spanish kid playing for Spain.

Well actually, it does not. Most of the people you have mentioned have Irish grandparents, not parents, so they may not be on the foreign births register. If you are on that register, then legally you are Irish whether you like it or not. That is a simple fact. Again though, being legally Irish does not mean you will play football for Ireland. With Finn the situation is still ambiguous, there is no real evidence either way who he will play for apart from one tweet that he is part of a Spanish under 17 camp, which I can not really see any other source for.

Getting into a grey area there. That's like saying James McClean is British. Irish people have an increasing habit of claiming people as their own regardless of how strong an attachment the person has to this country. It's a habit the British used to be derided for when it came to athletes or celebrities who came out of this country.

Finn is as Cameroonian, French or English as he is Irish. And that's without getting into the fact he's native Spanish.

The likelihood of him being good enough to play for Spain, France or England is infinitesimal. But he equally might not want to go through the rigmarole of playing Intl football for a nation he has no infinity to as a compromise.

Legally speaking, McClean is British. However, in McClean's case, we know his personal identity is solely Irish, so we bow to that. 

In Finn's case, none of us know his personal opinions, so we can only go on the legal imperative, which is that he is Irish. He also happens to be Spanish, Cameroonian etc, this is perfectly congruent, we do not live in 1800 and you can be more than one thing if you want.

No one is "claiming people as Irish", in fact in this case you are doing the very opposite, you are excluding people from being Irish. You have no reasonable cause to do this, as the only evidence we have at the moment is the legal fact that Finn is Irish, and until the man himself says more on the matter it is inappropriate to assume anything more or less than that. Whether or not he will play football for Ireland is another question entirely, and it is not inextricably linked to him being Irish or not.

I didn't exclude anyone from being Irish. I literally said he's as Cameroonian, French or English as he is Irish and I literally said he's native Spanish as in Spanish by birth or residency. That's the problem about getting into debates about things like this on forums. There's no need to use such emotive language as the following: "you're excluding someone from being Irish", which makes it sound like I said something completely different to what I did say.

Funny thing is Transfermarkt listed his citizenship as "English" and when I posted about that, someone pooh-poohed it and said Transfermarkt is a disreputable website. Now Nathan Murphy verifies that he is in fact eligible for England as well!
Sponsored Links

Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 7:13pm
That's fine, he's eligible for England as well which changes nothing of what has already been said, so what is your point exactly? 

The more occasions I see you rabidly pursue these arguments across numerous threads with numerous posters above all other footballing issues, the more it becomes apparent to me that's it is a real obsession for you. You may try and frame it as concern for people being "claimed" as Irish against their will, but much like anti-immigrationists painting their views as concern for native homeless people, I think it comes across as hollow. If I was a betting man, I would say it is much more to do with trying to maintain a monopoly over your own view of being Irish. It would seem that this view of the Irish nation can not find a place for people not born in Ireland, and this is why you rail so vociferously against the notion that people like Finn are Irish.

As another poster said recently, the irony of this narrow approach to "who is Irish" is actually very "British" in its outlook, it can not reconcile identity with birthplace if these things are not the same.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 7:24pm
Just to underline what Wes wrote above: Finn is an Irish citizen by birth. That is beyond dispute and it’s his right as the son of an Irish born father. 

Beyond all the rehashing of old eligibility arguments, that’s this kids situation.

Merry Christmas 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Just to underline what Wes wrote above: Finn is an Irish citizen by birth. That is beyond dispute and it’s his right as the son of an Irish born father. 

Beyond all the rehashing of old eligibility arguments, that’s this kids situation.

Merry Christmas 

Absolutely, but at the moment he's a Spanish kid and is apparently in the Spanish national team underage setup so it seems a stretch to be calling him anything other than Spanish in football terms unless he ever decides otherwise.
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:28pm
he has made an substitute appearance again today

Edited by Four-Four-Two - 23 Dec 2020 at 8:28pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 10:02pm

That's fine, he's eligible for England as well which changes nothing of what has already been said, so what is your point exactly? 

The more occasions I see you rabidly pursue these arguments across numerous threads with numerous posters above all other footballing issues, the more it becomes apparent to me that's it is a real obsession for you. You may try and frame it as concern for people being "claimed" as Irish against their will, but much like anti-immigrationists painting their views as concern for native homeless people, I think it comes across as hollow. If I was a betting man, I would say it is much more to do with trying to maintain a monopoly over your own view of being Irish. It would seem that this view of the Irish nation can not find a place for people not born in Ireland, and this is why you rail so vociferously against the notion that people like Finn are Irish.

As another poster said recently, the irony of this narrow approach to "who is Irish" is actually very "British" in its outlook, it can not reconcile identity with birthplace if these things are not the same.

I'm baffled as to what I said to warrant a response like this response TBH. I never even said he wasn't Irish! Anyways.... Let the kid decide what he is, rather than a piece of paper like it's the 1940s or something. I have younger brothers and sisters who have Irish-born friends from places like Nigeria and India. Some don't consider themselves Irish, some do. I don't think it's my place to decide what nationality someone from a country with 250 ethnic tribes is.

At the end of the day any marketing materials from his clubs and any promotional materials from the league he plays in list him as just Spanish. Transfermarkt lists his citizenship as English. He hasn't said anything about Ireland. And at the end of the day, he mightn't be good enough for Intl football (fingers crossed he is for his sake).

Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 10:57pm
Everyone is "letting the kid make up his mind", do you think starting a thread on a football forum is a binding international football contract or something? The reality as I have said is that none of us know what Finn himself thinks, so all we can say is that legally he is Irish (along with other nationalities), so there's nothing wrong with referring to him as such or discussing him. I really can't see why that would incense you so much.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:04pm

Everyone is "letting the kid make up his mind", do you think starting a thread on a football forum is a binding international football contract or something? The reality as I have said is that none of us know what Finn himself thinks, so all we can say is that legally he is Irish (along with other nationalities), so there's nothing wrong with referring to him as such or discussing him. I really can't see why that would incense you so much.

I don't know how you get the impression I'm very angry or enraged. You're entitled to refer to him however you want as much as I disagree with your reasoning for doing so.

In fact I agree with you that most of what's on this thread is pretty irrelevant until he plays Intl football or makes a public declaration about it.

I think we're at cross-purposes TBH.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:25pm
Hmmm.....Wes, you are creating sentiments and then arguing against them.
Better to just make your point, in my simple opinion.

johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:06pm
 https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/6481166/stephen-kenny-john-joe-patrick-finn-declare-ireland/amp/

Kenny, Crawford and Mohan did a call/presentation for him recently.

Spain and England also in contact.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:20pm
Good to see them trying although I'd say it's a long shot given the other interest. Possibly we would be offering Under 21 football given Crawford's involvement whereas England and Spain would probably be looking to get him into their Under 19 setup.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:23pm
All we can do is try. With Ryan Nolan at the club too who knows
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:30pm
Whats the English link ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:30pm
Incidentally England really will try for any player these days, regardless of the tenuous nature of the link involved. Given their playing resources, going for a Spanish lad with an Irish father and a mother from Cameroon is a bit of a dick move to be honest.

Spain you would imagine would be the favourites here, he is essentially Spanish after all.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:34pm

Good to see them trying although I'd say it's a long shot given the other interest. Possibly we would be offering Under 21 football given Crawford's involvement whereas England and Spain would probably be looking to get him into their Under 19 setup.

What in gods name sort of contact would he have to England? 

They are right to try and tbh his prospects of playing for Spain are a lot less then Ireland. It’s definitely worth trying to get him on board. The name would very much suggest an old man proud of his Irish roots.

Edited by kevin100 - 28 Jan 2021 at 11:34pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:39pm
John Finn was a quality half back for Mayo back in the day. Would be good to have his namesake of Mayo roots in the Ireland underage setup.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:41pm

Incidentally England really will try for any player these days, regardless of the tenuous nature of the link involved. Given their playing resources, going for a Spanish lad with an Irish father and a mother from Cameroon is a bit of a dick move to be honest.

Spain you would imagine would be the favourites here, he is essentially Spanish after all.

No it's not ffs. LOL

They're entitled like every other football association to recruit any eligible players. We haven't done our case any harm going by that newspaper article so it would be an unexpected boost if he did declare for us. 

He probably won't but we could be surprised.   
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 12:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
  Share Topic