You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Joe Patrick Finn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:11pm
I hope he stays away from PL youth teams they are just a factory to sell on these days (including my own club) and will have no investment in him succeeding. Not saying La Liga is perfect but Getafe have given him game time at a young age so providing they want to keep him that sounds better to me.
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 5:45am
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

I hope he stays away from PL youth teams they are just a factory to sell on these days (including my own club) and will have no investment in him succeeding. Not saying La Liga is perfect but Getafe have given him game time at a young age so providing they want to keep him that sounds better to me.
What club do you own?
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 8:09pm
Back on the bench tonight for their Copa del Rey fixture.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 4:51pm
Alleged interest from Eintracht Frankfurt. Hes out of contract at Getafe at the end of the season so could move on either way.

Since Bordales left for Valencia in the summer and Quique Sanchez Flores came in, he hasn't had much time for him or many other youth players in their bid to stay up this season.

Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 5:36pm
senior minutes in la Liga and now Frankfurt have come sniffing? We really need to look at a full senior team call up to make sure he's tied down to us. We're crying out for a player with a bit of a creative spark and this fella could be the future
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

senior minutes in la Liga and now Frankfurt have come sniffing? We really need to look at a full senior team call up to make sure he's tied down to us. We're crying out for a player with a bit of a creative spark and this fella could be the future

Or it could be a career stalling & an agent earning his money. 

Calm yourself a bit there
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:51pm

The lad has fallen down the pecking order and it was telling he was in the 21's camp and not called up to the subsequent squads.
Left back with the 19's and hasn't been seen since.

Suggests he wasn't up to the grade and we'll see if he gets a spot in a squad come March.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:55pm
Cotton Eye John Joe is threatening to fade into irrelevance. His next move is a big one.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Cotton Eye John Joe is threatening to fade into irrelevance. His next move is a big one.

Strange strange being.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

The lad has fallen down the pecking order and it was telling he was in the 21's camp and not called up to the subsequent squads.
Left back with the 19's and hasn't been seen since.

Suggests he wasn't up to the grade and we'll see if he gets a spot in a squad come March.

Possibly didn't have a passport at the time. Would have never needed an Irish passport before now and covid would have led to huge issues with getting passports sorted.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 11:02pm
I'd be surprised - an Irish born parent should make a passport a formality. I'd say there was a bit of getting a feel of things going on there. Possibly him seeing what the Irish setup was like, possibly Ireland seeing what level he was at. In the end it looks like he's not ready for the Under 21s for now. He wanted to play centre midfield and that's a very competitive area in the Under 21 squad. Seems to have gone backwards at club level also. He has plenty to prove as things stand.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd be surprised - an Irish born parent should make a passport a formality. I'd say there was a bit of getting a feel of things going on there. Possibly him seeing what the Irish setup was like, possibly Ireland seeing what level he was at. In the end it looks like he's not ready for the Under 21s for now. He wanted to play centre midfield and that's a very competitive area in the Under 21 squad. Seems to have gone backwards at club level also. He has plenty to prove as things stand.

Why would he need it when his Spanish passport would have been more than enough for travelling to Ireland. I've cousins abroad with Irish born fathers and none of them had an Irish passport as it wasn't needed.

Played friendlies with the U19s one month but didn't feature with them in competitive matches the next month. Could suggest issues with a passport or Tom Mohan wasn't impressed with him.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 11:30pm
Sorry, no, what I meant was that he would need to get one to play for Ireland as you say, but it should be a quick and easy process given that his dad was from Mayo. Even during Covid they have been dealing with those more straightforward passports quickly enough, it's the granny rule ones that have been badly delayed.

So I'd be surprised if the passport thing was the reason for him not playing a competitive game yet. I'd say it's either commitment question marks on his side or question marks over his actual ability relative to other available options on the Ireland side.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 12:00am
Crawford seemed to come out in March and said the lad wants to play for Ireland, but was injured at the time and unlucky for him Getafe changed managers in the summer and again in October.

Probably why he could be linked with a move away if new managers prefer more experienced options. A couple of B team midfielders have featured in squads for the cup games and looks like only one of them has featured on the bench in the league besides Benoa and that lad is 22.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 12:36am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Strange strange being.

Your infatuation with me is disconcerting.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Sorry, no, what I meant was that he would need to get one to play for Ireland as you say, but it should be a quick and easy process given that his dad was from Mayo. Even during Covid they have been dealing with those more straightforward passports quickly enough, it's the granny rule ones that have been badly delayed.

So I'd be surprised if the passport thing was the reason for him not playing a competitive game yet. I'd say it's either commitment question marks on his side or question marks over his actual ability relative to other available options on the Ireland side.

At the best of times getting a passport is a pain in the hoop .......and i have a ginger minge and drink smithwicks!
It's not me it's you:-)
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:08pm
Linked with Fenerbache and one Turkish journalist says they've started negotiations. Numerous earth giants are available for the player according to the translation by Google

https://twitter.com/BersanTaskaya/status/1526878592545738752   
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 5:42pm
Just recalling when he did play for the 19's in the double-header friendlies v Sweden last October.

He started one game, and was a sub for the 2nd, alongside the likes of:
Abankwah (Udinese now, loaned to Pats);
Adamarola (due a PL game for Palace before the season is out, we are rumoured);
Lawal (going ncely for Celtic reserves);
Garcia-McNulty;
Christiano Fitzgerald (haven't heard a tap about since);
Evan Caffrey (UCD).

Also playing was Zak Gilsenan, who was taken off wth an injury he has yet to recover from.
So was an interesting group who got two draws v Sweden.

Note that Finn-Benoa didn't subsequently get called up to the camp the following month for the qualifiers.  I suspect he wasn't deemed good enough at that stage (altho every chance there were papers or passport that were not in order).
Players who were added included Andy Moran, Johnny Kenny and Sinclair Armstrong...so a completely revamped front-line when the qualifiers started.
Zefi was also promoted to the 19's then (and subsequently went back to the 17's).

I think I read that the 19's will go on a Summer camp and play a couple of matches next month so will be curious to see who makes those squads as between the Sweden friendlies and the qualifiers, we used a large pool of players.

Edited by Fozz - 18 May 2022 at 5:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic