You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Hume

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:36am
Yeah Dunphy should always be reminded of this. 
AKA pedantic kunt
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Yeah Dunphy should always be reminded of this. 
Somebody I read on Twitter made the point that the Sindo was very eager to pin it all on Dunphy given that he no longer works for the Sindo - it was convenient

Yet they still employ Harris, Dudley Edwards, Eilis O'Hanlon etc. who haven't changed one iota in their views and neither has the modus operandi of the paper in general changed 

INM currently employs some abominable hacks and pushes some really harmful opinions

Dunphy at least has the occasional ability to admit that what he wrote in the past was disgraceful

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:59am
Some truth in that ( e.g. his apology for his attacks on Jack Charlton, whom he dubbed "Andy Capp" ). He could be an invidious little troll but the worst of them is surely Harris, who seems to many in the north as having an unhelpful and unhealthy influence on the current Taoiseach, as he had previously with Bruton and Trimble. RDE is simply insufferable, a smug contrarian who is consistently unfettered by the profundity of her own ignorance. Eilis O'Hanlon can be entertaining occasionally but is mostly just irritating. The latter two are regular contributors to the Belfast Telegraph. I seldom buy the Sindo but Gene Kerrigan is the only columnist writing for it who strikes me as being any good.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Some truth in that ( e.g. his apology for his attacks on Jack Charlton, whom he dubbed "Andy Capp" ). He could be an invidious little troll but the worst of them is surely Harris, who seems to many in the north as having an unhelpful and unhealthy influence on the current Taoiseach, as he had previously with Bruton and Trimble. RDE is simply insufferable, a smug contrarian who is consistently unfettered by the profundity of her own ignorance. Eilis O'Hanlon can be entertaining occasionally but is mostly just irritating. The latter two are regular contributors to the Belfast Telegraph. I seldom buy the Sindo but Gene Kerrigan is the only columnist writing for it who strikes me as being any good.
Kerrigan and Declan Lynch are good but then again their political viewpoints have a big bearing on the strength of their columns 

I honestly believe that give the rabbit hole of insanity right-wing politics worldwide occupies it's pretty much impossible to write opinion pieces with a right-wing slant and not come across as a hateful **** - the evidence against such a slant is so overwhelming on every level

Harris, Dudley Edwards, O'Hanlon, Niamh Horan, Dan O'Brien, Liam Collins, Jody Corcoran, Larissa Nolan and the utterly execrable Ian O'Doherty are all horrible hacks in the INM stable

Their sports line up can be decent enough at times - Kimmage, Tommy Conlon is a good writer, Brolly is very much hit or miss but when he hits he's tremendous and he tends to hit when he brings politics into his columns, his actual GAA stuff can be awful

Colm O'Rourke has clearly tried to bring political stuff into his commentary of late to make up for his lack of interesting things to say about GAA -  he shouldn't because his political views seem pretty abhorrent and flat out wrong to me - his rantings during Covid have been nonsensical 

Edited by sid waddell - 10 Aug 2020 at 1:38pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

political viewpoints have a big bearing on the strength of their columns 

I think that is a major part of modern political discourse. Written and verbal opinion, will find favour with people who care of the same mindset. Which in turn will make us like or dislike commentators.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

political viewpoints have a big bearing on the strength of their columns 

I think that is a major part of modern political discourse. Written and verbal opinion, will find favour with people who care of the same mindset. Which in turn will make us like or dislike commentators.

It's very hard to put across a serious, unironic viewpoint that Trump or the Tories or Brexit or Modi or Putin or Orban or Le Pen or yer man in Poland or Duterte or Bolsonaro or Australia's Scott Morrison are actually onto something good rather than being completely disastrous

This is what mainstream right-wing politics is internationally

It would be hard to write a serious column that suggests that Joe Biden's folksy "centrism", while obviously being immeasurably better than Trump in a two-way race, is itself the answer to the appalling problems US society faces in terms of racism, corporate oligarchy, tolerance of corruption, grotesque wealth inequality, terrible healthcare, lack of workers' rights etc. 

It would be very hard to write a column that advocates that grotesque wealth inequality is a positive

It would also be very hard to write a serious column advocating the virtues of free market, low regulation ideology when such doctrine has so demonstrably failed

It would be very hard to write a serious column praising the virtues of Fine Gael/Fianna Fail policy on health and housing given that the long running policy direction and ideology of such has been a failure

It would be very hard to write a serious column advocating less government intervention in economies or a lower overall tax take - because these ideas are so demonstrably flat out wrong

There are very few figures "of the right" internationally who one could make a genuine defence of

Angela Merkel of Germany's CDU is one but she is not identified as being of the right by most English speaking media, in fact from much of the commentary in English speaking media over the years one would be forgiven for thinking she's actually a communist - it's pretty much the same with Macron

I was saying this sort of stuff a decade ago, I was correct then and I'm correct now

Edited by sid waddell - 10 Aug 2020 at 2:07pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 2:14pm
Personally, I generally side with arguments which put forward a mixed economy, a wide tax base, social freedoms, and consistency when it comes to matters of foreign policy which doesn't condemn some countries and governments, while condoning other ones who treat the people the are supposed to serve as awfully as they do. I don't like ideological arguments, and I tend not to like shilling for a party, or a personality. The difficulty is, those voices are now being drowned out, as media, and its vastly expanded column inches now are dominated by partisan an opinion laden voices, and independent media suffers heavily from that, in spite of its rebuke of mainstream media, and its view that it has freedoms.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 3:40pm

Personally, I generally side with arguments which put forward a mixed economy, a wide tax base, social freedoms, and consistency when it comes to matters of foreign policy which doesn't condemn some countries and governments, while condoning other ones who treat the people the are supposed to serve as awfully as they do. I don't like ideological arguments, and I tend not to like shilling for a party, or a personality. The difficulty is, those voices are now being drowned out, as media, and its vastly expanded column inches now are dominated by partisan an opinion laden voices, and independent media suffers heavily from that, in spite of its rebuke of mainstream media, and its view that it has freedoms.

What we have internationally is a four way split

i) Mainstream right-wing politics now is basically pure stupidity and evil as exemplified by the you know whos - they do not want a mixed economy - they are anti-government zealots even though they may claim otherwise

They are ruled by the ideology of James Buchanan, Charles Koch and the insane libertarian cult of Hayek, Mises, Friedman etc.

They favour all out corporate oligaarchy

To this already toxic mix they add endemic racism, love of corruption and kleptocracy, hatred of immigration, misogynism, extreme anti-intellectualism and anti-science ideology and a love of authoritarian fascism, which itself is indivisible from the libertarian cult

Everything about it is a lie and it is a serious threat to humanity

It is oligarchical paleo-fascism

ii) "Centrism" - not as bad as i) for sure, but has failed to deal with the problems facing modern societies, has few answers, and in most cases is responsible for the drift to i)

It encompasses some of the libertarian ideology of i) but largely without the racism, not exclusively - they are well capable of a dog whistle when they want

It is generally liberal on social matters now but only after losing the arguments comprehensively over the years, is mainly pro-science but frequently engages in anti-liberal social sciences dog whistles

It favours lightly regulated capitalism, ie. corporate oligarchy, just in a watered down, more publicly palatable way

Favours running down public services by stealth

Is generally pro-immigration

Examples of this are the Remainer Tories, Fine Gael etc. 

iii) Social democracy 

Favours strong state intervention, strong regulation and public services, good workers' rights, a wide tax base, high overall tax take and high marginal rates, ambitious investment, is pro-science and pro-intellectualism, the green industrial revolution and a transition to a zero carbon economy is seen as a flagship policy

Is not against a market economy but sees string state intervention as complementary to it, not as an enemy of it

Sees wealth inequality as a massive problem

Generally firmly pro-immigration 

In this category are the Scandinavian countries, some Western European countries, and the new left in the US like AOC

Warren would be iii) as well

iv) Left populism

Favours most of iii) but doesn't know where to get the money to pay for it, is less constructive and more harsh in its rhetoric - internationally, some of this category, especially its online backers, have a liking for Putin and Russia

Sinn Fein is definitely in category iv)

Biden and Starmer would be a mixture of ii) and iii), Biden would be closer to ii), Starmer closer to iii)

Merkel would be a mixture of ii) and iii) but closer to iii)

Sanders would be a mixture of iii) and iv) but closer to iii)

Corbyn would be a mixture of iii) and iv) but possibly closer to iv)

What passes for right-wing commentary in the media these days is a mixture of i and ii)

In Ireland such commentary would be closer to ii) - in Britain it's closer to i), in the US it's almost exclusively i) 

Edited by sid waddell - 10 Aug 2020 at 3:44pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 3:56pm
I'm going to disagree with part of the analysis of the first strand, namely the comparison with libertarianism as there is a significant difference between libertarianism and right-wing conervativism, and the dubious labelled "alt-right", which is probably a more digestible term for people who are just white-supremacists, racists etc, and are far more interested in identarianism than libertarianism. There are significant difference between the likes of Friedman, Hayek, Mises, and other libertarian thinkers like Rothbard. I think I said it in a previous post that libertarianism was a misused liable for the likes of the Tea Party a decade ago. It has also been occasionally co-opted by the contemporary "alt right", as a kind of fig leaf, who quickly scuttle away from it when they discover that it requires a large amounts of give when it comes to their authoritarian tendencies, particularly in relation to migration, movement, and immigration. A genuine libertarian baulks at the idea that the state would involve itself in peoples lives to the extent that it determines the freedom of people to move, particularly over arbitrary, and state defined borders, when fundamentally, they don't believe in those borders in the first place. The vast majority of fascists who co-opted the term "libertarian" quickly depart from it, when they discover that it has significant repercussions for their ideological interests, which inherently need a 'strong' state in order to thrive. Any libertarian who favours Trump, is not a libertarian. An example was during the period where executive order was the "order of the day". Libertarians want certainty, and consistency in their laws, which cant happen with 90 day EO's.

Edited by Het-field - 10 Aug 2020 at 3:56pm
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:11pm

What we have internationally is a four way split

i) Mainstream right-wing politics now is basically pure stupidity and evil as exemplified by the you know whos - they do not want a mixed economy - they are anti-government zealots even though they may claim otherwise

They are ruled by the ideology of James Buchanan, Charles Koch and the insane libertarian cult of Hayek, Mises, Friedman etc.

They favour all out corporate oligaarchy

To this already toxic mix they add endemic racism, love of corruption and kleptocracy, hatred of immigration, misogynism, extreme anti-intellectualism and anti-science ideology and a love of authoritarian fascism, which itself is indivisible from the libertarian cult

Everything about it is a lie and it is a serious threat to humanity

It is oligarchical paleo-fascism

ii) "Centrism" - not as bad as i) for sure, but has failed to deal with the problems facing modern societies, has few answers, and in most cases is responsible for the drift to i)

It encompasses some of the libertarian ideology of i) but largely without the racism, not exclusively - they are well capable of a dog whistle when they want

It is generally liberal on social matters now but only after losing the arguments comprehensively over the years, is mainly pro-science but frequently engages in anti-liberal social sciences dog whistles

It favours lightly regulated capitalism, ie. corporate oligarchy, just in a watered down, more publicly palatable way

Favours running down public services by stealth

Is generally pro-immigration

Examples of this are the Remainer Tories, Fine Gael etc. 

iii) Social democracy 

Favours strong state intervention, strong regulation and public services, good workers' rights, a wide tax base, high overall tax take and high marginal rates, ambitious investment, is pro-science and pro-intellectualism, the green industrial revolution and a transition to a zero carbon economy is seen as a flagship policy

Is not against a market economy but sees string state intervention as complementary to it, not as an enemy of it

Sees wealth inequality as a massive problem

Generally firmly pro-immigration 

In this category are the Scandinavian countries, some Western European countries, and the new left in the US like AOC

Warren would be iii) as well

iv) Left populism

Favours most of iii) but doesn't know where to get the money to pay for it, is less constructive and more harsh in its rhetoric - internationally, some of this category, especially its online backers, have a liking for Putin and Russia

Sinn Fein is definitely in category iv)

Biden and Starmer would be a mixture of ii) and iii), Biden would be closer to ii), Starmer closer to iii)

Merkel would be a mixture of ii) and iii) but closer to iii)

Sanders would be a mixture of iii) and iv) but closer to iii)

Corbyn would be a mixture of iii) and iv) but possibly closer to iv)

What passes for right-wing commentary in the media these days is a mixture of i and ii)

In Ireland such commentary would be closer to ii) - in Britain it's closer to i), in the US it's almost exclusively i) 

Antifa in a nutshell and i wouldn't say harsh in its rhetoric id say extreme in its rhetoric and prone to violence to anybody who disagrees with them a bit like the extreme right.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:12pm

I'm going to disagree with part of the analysis of the first strand, namely the comparison with libertarianism as there is a significant difference between libertarianism and right-wing conervativism, and the dubious labelled "alt-right", which is probably a more digestible term for people who are just white-supremacists, racists etc, and are far more interested in identarianism than libertarianism. There are significant difference between the likes of Friedman, Hayek, Mises, and other libertarian thinkers like Rothbard. I think I said it in a previous post that libertarianism was a misused liable for the likes of the Tea Party a decade ago. It has also been occasionally co-opted by the contemporary "alt right", as a kind of fig leaf, who quickly scuttle away from it when they discover that it requires a large amounts of give when it comes to their authoritarian tendencies, particularly in relation to migration, movement, and immigration. A genuine libertarian baulks at the idea that the state would involve itself in peoples lives to the extent that it determines the freedom of people to move, particularly over arbitrary, and state defined borders, when fundamentally, they don't believe in those borders in the first place. The vast majority of fascists who co-opted the term "libertarian" quickly depart from it, when they discover that it has significant repercussions for their ideological interests, which inherently need a 'strong' state in order to thrive. Any libertarian who favours Trump, is not a libertarian. An example was during the period where executive order was the "order of the day". Libertarians want certainty, and consistency in their laws, which cant happen with 90 day EO's.
Examine why self-professed "libertarians" have flocked to Trump and are now basically full blown authoritarians

It's because authoritarianism is baked into libertarianism

James Buchnanan, the godfather of "libertah" admitted this himself and basically wrote Chile's constitution under Pinochet which has completely hamstrung democracy there ever since

The ideology of "libertah" originated with attempts to defend slavery, it was slavery supporter John C. Calhoun in the 1830s who popularised the modern version of it

It morphed through various makeovers through the Mises/Hayek cabal, Ayn Rand, Buchanan and Charles Koch etc. but it's only ever been about defending the interests of the rich

Because so called "libertarianism" is about defending the interests of the rich, and sees the destruction of democracy as acceptable, its interests ultimately completely align with corporate authoritarians such as Trump and Putin

The key to libertarianism's success in cannibalising mainstream conservatism comes from its developing an everyday language of lies to sell its poisonous product - the divide and conquer right-wing culture war that is destroying societies is utterly dependent on this

Every time you see a think tank report released or a talking head from the "Institute of Economic Affairs" or the "Taxpayers' Alliance" or the "Cato Institute" or the "Heritage Foundation" or one of the many other think tanks that are part of the right-wing propaganda industry, every time you see a tweet or an article by Ian O'Doherty or Toby Young or the Spiked Online mob etc., every time you see the bullsh*t arguments like "freeze peach" or "cancel culture" or "p'lihical c'rectniss gone mad", every time you see the words "snowflakes" or "virtue signalling" you're seeing the language of lies, a self serving, self conscious fraud in complete service to corporate oligarchical fascism

That propaganda industry is designed to normalise crackpot ideas, and they have been very successful

Edited by sid waddell - 10 Aug 2020 at 4:14pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:17pm
What's also absolutely nauseating are the attempts to rehabilitate Reagan and Thatcher because they weren't quite as bad or as overtly racist as Trump

They weren't much better, both were f**king monstrous
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:22pm
Being a self-professed libertarian is meaningless, especially if you haven't read the key thinkers. Also, just by co-opting the term doesn't mean its inherently as a result of the ideology. The reason they flocked to Trump was simply because of his election, it allowed people to throw off the veneer of "libertarianism" to join the culture wars, and embrace policy and platforms that shows they were never libertarians in the first place. Namely things like the flag waving patriotism, the massive government programme (especially expense wise) which was the "wall". Like I said, it was a fig-leaf, used by people who co-opted it without knowing what libertarianism was. What remains in the libertarianism space are the genuine libertarians who value social economic freedoms. The ones who left were the ones who liked the "free-speech" aspect of libertarianism, which it shares with a lot of moderate ideologies, but didn't even think that there was a libertarian position of the free movement of capital, the free movement of goods, and the free movement of people. The "Don't Tread on Me" brigade in the US were never libertarians. They were social conservatives and strong nationalists.

Simply put, authoritarianism and libertarianism are totally incompatible, and assuming that anybody who takes a strand of libertarianism along with their general "alt-right" outlook is wrong. And the likes of Mises and Hayek have definable differences between the two of them, in their ideology, so to club them together would be wide of the mark. And Libertarianism isn't corporatist, its a wider view on society, based on social responsibility. As we have learned over the past 10 years, its a very, very naive viewpoint,  but it is not a acolyte of the far right.

Edited by Het-field - 10 Aug 2020 at 4:23pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Antifa in a nutshell and i wouldn't say harsh in its rhetoric id say extreme in its rhetoric and prone to violence to anybody who disagrees with them a bit like the extreme right.
There's no such organisation as "Antifa"

Antifa stands for anti-fascist

Which is obviously why Trump has designated it as terrorism - because he sees anti-fascism as terrorism - fascist dictators tend to do that

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:25pm

Being a self-professed libertarian is meaningless, especially if you haven't read the key thinkers. Also, just by co-opting the term doesn't mean its inherently as a result of the ideology. The reason they flocked to Trump was simply because of his election, it allowed people to throw off the veneer of "libertarianism" to join the culture wars, and embrace policy and platforms that shows they were never libertarians in the first place. Namely things like the flag waving patriotism, the massive government programme (especially expense wise) which was the "wall". Like I said, it was a fig-leaf, used by people who co-opted it without knowing what libertarianism was. What remains in the libertarianism space are the genuine libertarians who value social economic freedoms. The ones who left were the ones who liked the "free-speech" aspect of libertarianism, which it shares with a lot of moderate ideologies, but didn't even think that there was a libertarian position of the free movement of capital, the free movement of goods, and the free movement of people. The "Don't Tread on Me" brigade in the US were never libertarians. They were social conservatives and strong nationalists.

Simply put, authoritarianism and libertarianism are totally incompatible, and assuming that anybody who takes a strand of libertarianism along with their general "alt-right" outlook is wrong. And the likes of Mises and Hayek have definable differences between the two of them, in their ideology, so to club them together would be wide of the mark. And Libertarianism isn't corporatist, its a wider view on society, based on social responsibility. As we have learned over the past 10 years, its a very, very naive viewpoint,  but it is not a acolyte of the far right.

Wrong

James Buchanan is probably the key thinker in libertarian history and saw libertarianism and democracy as incompatible

He was entirely correct in that

Libertarianism and tyranny are fundamentally indivisible because it always leads to the strong devouring the weak

Communism is often accused of fundamentally misunderstanding human nature - and those who genuinely believe in it do fundamentally misunderstand human nature - but those who genuinely believe in "libertarianism" are either fantasists who fundamentally misunderstand human nature to a greater degree than genuine communists do, or, if they're realists, like Buchanan, they recognise that it is dependent on the overthrow of democracy

The brains trust of the libertarian "movement" are all realists - not fantasists like that one undergraduate student you always find at student parties smoking a joint at 3am who lets slip that he (and it's always a he) genuinely believes this claptrap

The realists will almost never say publicly that they believe in the destruction of any meaningful democracy, but that's what they believe

They believe in minority rule

Edited by sid waddell - 10 Aug 2020 at 4:33pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:29pm

Being a self-professed libertarian is meaningless, especially if you haven't read the key thinkers. 
Wrong

James Buchanan is probably the key thinker in libertarian history and saw libertarianism and democracy as incompatible

He was correct in that

But if libertarianism is incompatible with democracy, that doesn't mean that it has anything in common with Trump's America, the alt-right, and those who used it as a fig leaf to say what they want.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:52pm

Being a self-professed libertarian is meaningless, especially if you haven't read the key thinkers. 
Wrong

He was correct in that

But if libertarianism is incompatible with democracy, that doesn't mean that it has anything in common with Trump's America, the alt-right, and those who used it as a fig leaf to say what they want.
The natural endpoint of libertarian ideology is always authoritarianism

The natural endpoint of communism was authoritarianism

Realists who practice/d either ideology know/knew that

Libertarianism is an oxymoron

It cannot exist because it fundamentally misunderstands human nature

Realist libertarianism always had Trump as its logical outcome - realist libertarianism is authoritarian kleptocracy

In the same way economic libertarianism leads to economic oligarchy, the "libertarian" freedom to say anything you want leads to fascism, because those who want to destroy others are thus treated as a legitimate part of debate - when they have no interest in debating, only in destroying

And we are seeing it literally every time we venture online

Edited by sid waddell - 10 Aug 2020 at 4:55pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 5:05pm
Thats entirely debatable, as libertarianism has actually not actually had a real time example, and the Trump dystopian is not the natural conclusion of libertarianism, simply because it has none of the hallmarks of what libertarianism stands for. I have used examples such as the ruling by EO, the massive state intervention which is necessary for "the wall", the diplomatic ties to highly regulated and statist Governments. Libertarians who side with the likes of Russia etc have absolutely lost their way, at a philosophical level. Self professed libertarians who voted for Trump and continue to support him, never were libertarians to begin with. 

We know that communism, and some related ideologies were authoritarian, as we had strong real time examples, extremely close to home. Assumed Libertarian states, were usually emaciated, failed states, who never re-constituted after revolution and popular uprising.

Don't get me wrong, libertarianism is best suited to "on paper", and debates amongst people who think its edgy and radical, but it goes no further than that. Libertarianism cannot work, as, to your point, it misunderstands human nature, and gives it credit it doesn't deserve. But that doesn't mean that self professed libertarians ever practiced it, and that it wasn't just an easy fig leaf, which fell off when their perverse world view became a reality with Brexit, Trump etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic