You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Egan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 48>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 1:55am
Looking at all the clubs who look like staying up, I dont really see them forking out 10m to buy him. Same for promoted sides.  Id be more surprised (pleasantly) 
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 1:59am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Looking at all the clubs who look like staying up, I dont really see them forking out 10m to buy him. Same for promoted sides.  Id be more surprised (pleasantly) 

10m is pittance these days. 
I love beer gardens
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 2:00am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I still don't see a Newcastle or a Norwich doing it 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 2:03am

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I still don't see a Newcastle or a Norwich doing it 

They wud do it easy of they wanted him. The qiestion is will anyone want him? Will have to wait and see.
I love beer gardens
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:17am
Everton certainly wanted him but Chris Wilder got him to sign a long term contract on the back of the Blades' achievements last year. If he doesn't get a move, chances are good for promotion anyway on the yo-yo. Norwich are already straight back up, Watford almost sure to join them and Bournemouth in the mix to make it all three of the relegated clubs bouncing back. Meanwhile Fulham and West Brom, promoted last season, look like going straight back down.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:02am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

That's relegation confirmed for Sheffield United, a complete disaster of a season for them.

The thinking among Sheffield United supporters seems to be that Egan has done enough in the last two seasons to get a premier league move in the summer. Hopefully they're right, he deserves to be playing at that level. I think he's probably a £20m plus premier league centre back in the right team, probably somewhere around mid table, it's just whether his profile is high enough for him to get the move.

Stevens you'd imagine will go down with Sheffield United, he hasn't looked good enough this season.
Egan has definitely done to enough to earn another Premier League move. Everton wanted him last Summer and I can see them coming back in for him again. Spurs are a bit of a mess defensively and I think Egan would have the right profile to go there and be a big player for them as he can both tackle and pass. Even if Spurs didn't go for him, the likes of Burnley would be an ok last resort. Tarkovski is out of contract there and they will need to bring someone in. I don't have too many concerns about Egan remaining in the Premier League.

Stevens is a trickier one. He was one of the top left wing backs last season, but this year it hasn't worked out for him too well. He has been dropped into central defence at times to cover injuries, I think that hasn't helped him. I wonder would Enda consider going abroad to Italy, where a back three is more common, and the slower pace would suit? Inter Milan play with a back three, and I think he would slot in as a LWB? Ashley Young is a lot older than Stevens and he is doing the business there. Lazio and Roma would be two other good options for Stevens, both play systems he would be comfortable in. Stevens is only 30, so has a good 3-4 years left in him at a high level you'd feel.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 12:11pm
Read an article on The Athletic this morning claiming that Sheffield United will need to generate 40m in player sales before they make any signings, they singled out Berge, Egan and Basham as players who are likely to have interest in the PL. Obviously I would like to see him stay in the Premier League but staying on in the Championship isn't a disaster either.

Agree on Stevens, can't see him getting a move back up again, but again no harm in him playing at the top end of the championship every week. 
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 12:40pm
I’d imagine it will be a fairly quiet summer transfer wise for all but the big CL clubs given the loss of earnings all round due to Covid. I’d be surprised if he gets a move given his contract situation. I hope I’m wrong. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 2:33pm
I think Egan is the only irish player that might trade upwards in terms of possible summer moves.

If any other player moves it'll probably be dropping down a league 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 3:03pm
In terms of the Premier League the only other potential upward moves I could see would be if the rumours about Collins or Knight from January came to anything during the summer. Idah and Omobamidele going up with Norwich but might be loaned out for the year.

O'Shea, Robinson, McGoldrick and Stevens all likely to go down with their clubs. Brady out of contract I think as things stand and might move to the championship. Hourihane and Long might also make permanent moves down a league, both out of favour at their current clubs. Obafemi another possibility to drop down and Jimmy Dunne considering dropping a division also in search of first team football. Then there are rumours of James McCarthy leaving Palace, not sure if there's a premier league move for him given his injury record. And Duffy might be moved on from Brighton, although he might want to see out his contract, understandable as it may be the last big one he gets.

Who does that leave really - Hendrick and Clark at Newcastle, Coleman and Doherty, Connolly, Egan if he gets a move and a few squad players like Smallbone, Randolph, Kelleher, Kevin Long and a couple more who hardly ever play.

Depressing stuff really but that's where we are for now.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:24pm
Did I overhear the commentator saying last night was only the second time Egan was on the winning side for Ireland?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Did I overhear the commentator saying last night was only the second time Egan was on the winning side for Ireland?

Well, he's only got 13 caps and we don't win many games. I think new Zealand was the last before Andorra. So that sounds about right.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 6:36pm
Probably the best irish player of last season but doesn't look like a move back  to the Premier League is on the cards. Playing pre-season games for Sheffield again.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 9:29pm
Really needs to get out of Sheffield United, they're not looking like they'll be back in the Premier League any time soon.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:08pm
Wonder was there any interest at all.
Crucial stage of his career. Hard to believe he is nearly 29.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:12pm
Hopefully something opens up for him. When you see Relegation Ramsdale getting an Arsenal move for £24m plus add-ons you wonder again if their nationality counts against some of our lads.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 6:50am
Egan signed a five year contract last year so would not go on the cheap if Everton or other interested clubs come back in for him. He is more likely to stay. The Blades badly missed their other central defender Jack O'Connell with injury last season and Enda Stevens has been a big miss for them currently for the same reason, though I see they have brought in Ben Davies on loan from Liverpool to do Enda's job. The team is struggling at the moment but you'd expect them to bounce back and be promotion contenders.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 10:45am
They badly need a new striker. McGoldrick, Sharp and Brewster might get 10 between them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 48>
  Share Topic