Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 539>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Folks

Can we cease the infighting and concentrate on the real enemy.......... Depeche Mode

Jesus it’s getting personal on here.  Maybe if we all just take a break from posting and enjoy the silence. I suspect some of you just can’t get enough and have to post.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Folks

Can we cease the infighting and concentrate on the real enemy.......... Depeche Mode

Jesus it’s getting personal on here.  Maybe if we all just take a break from posting and enjoy the silence. I suspect some of you just can’t get enough and have to post.  

Think people need to get a new life.

See you around.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 4:52pm
I was also there the other night.
Just seeing all this now after not being on over the weekend.
As has been said Ballybrack contacted Pipkin, pipkin invited 40 - 50 people as he says. One of them being Vidic and then Vidic asked myself as I'm in a whatsapp group with himself and a few others. Not a ybig whatsapp group, an anti JD group just a group with friends.
Knowing that I wouldn't have much to say on the matter I decided to go anyway just to be an extra person. 6 people sounds better then 5.
He said he'd do certain things i.e get 800 tickets for Gib, give a larger % to Fans direct.
It's all well and good saying those things to us there and then but until i actually happens I'll have to be cynical.
If they do work out and then great, if they don't it might have been a wasted Thursday night and back to square one. 
The dark side.. And the light
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

As has been said Ballybrack contacted Pipkin, pipkin invited 40 - 50 people as he says. One of them being Vidic and then Vidic asked myself as I'm in a whatsapp group with himself and a few others. Not a ybig whatsapp group, an anti JD group just a group with friends.
Knowing that I wouldn't have much to say on the matter I decided to go anyway just to be an extra person. 6 people sounds better then 5.
He said he'd do certain things i.e get 800 tickets for Gib, give a larger % to Fans direct.
It's all well and good saying those things to us there and then but until i actually happens I'll have to be cynical.
If they do work out and then great, if they don't it might have been a wasted Thursday night and back to square one. 
This is what I find so frustrating! This meeting being solely to buy him time being bad enough, but the only thing being talked about seems to be tickets! It is like that is the only thing he thinks is wrong. Tickets shouldn't be mentioned until all the real problems are addressed!
Bogumit View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bogumit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

This is what I find so frustrating! This meeting being solely to buy him time being bad enough, but the only thing being talked about seems to be tickets! It is like that is the only thing he thinks is wrong. Tickets shouldn't be mentioned until all the real problems are addressed!

Throwing O’Neill under the bus and the subsequent managerial appointments bought him the time. They took alot of sting out of anti-JD talk.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:18pm
Paraphrasing about that news article about him saying he's there so fans have to like it or lump it. Don't remember him saying anything like that, it was more 'I won't be there forever'.
Already thinking of Kennys successor down the line, so maybe he's also thinking of when he'll walk from the FAI.
Personally I'd reckon he'll wait till the Euros have been in Dublin. Show what kind of event Dublin can hold, then after that focus on his gig with UEFA and try push for the 2030 world cup with Ireland and the UK. 
The dark side.. And the light
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:25pm
He will be here until he gets an even cushier number with UEFA, which seems likely to be in the next couple of years. He will try and hold off all bad press until then.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It wasn't the whole meeting but was way too much of it, lesson learnt for the next one. 

Just to point out I made a four person whatsapp group to invite people I knew who were anti JD and Darmack was on that. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Nobodyreally Nobodyreally wrote:

When a group stand looking into a circle and shout, it’s often difficult to perceive that those outside the circle aren’t shouting along.
Most people don’t really care about the details, they just want to see a game of football, played well preferably with a win. The appointment of a new/familiar manager, a semblance of a plan for the future, and the intimation that things will improve has placated the casual supporter. The truth is that the major media outlets and the general public have lost interest in the “controversy” now that O’Neill and Keane have gone.
Epistemology is important here. Drill down into your thought processes and answer WHY do protesters personify the problems in Irish football in John Delaney alone?
Is the problem just one man and his actions?
Is the problem the organisation, and the Delaney has become the bogey man that represents what is wrong with the organisation?
Has this gone on so long that many different people, with many different issues feel in some way vindicated by membership of a “Delaney Out” movement?
Is it, now, simple personal animosity combining elements of ego, braggadocio, machismo, solipsism, narcissism on all sides?
How many would lose interest in protests if there was access to tickets as demanded?
How much of the division is based on jealousy of another groups perceived ability to access tickets?
What, exactly, can be done for the LOI?
Is it prize money?
Is it promotion money?
Is it facilities?
Is it disinterest on the part of a public that prefer to support and watch rugby/GAA?
How far would LOI fans be willing to go to construct a solid, well supported professional league?
Would fans countenance dissolution or amalgamation of their clubs to make them viable and to improve attendances? If not why not?

The buck stops with the man at the top. There is a long list of issues caused directly and indirectly by him while overseeing the organization. People are fed up with his things are being run and after 16 years or so it's time to step aside. A limited time on the board was one of the recommendations of the genesis report if I am not mistaken and is in line with good corporate governance practice. 

But the main focus for the FAI, whoever is running it, should be an improvement wholesale to the quality of players we produce in this country so we can rely on ourselves to produce top players and not rely on other jurisdictions as we have generally done for years and years. With less and less kids playing 'street football' and becoming good footballers in spite of the underage structure in ireland, it's even more important that we reposition our focus moving forward. 
A solid basis for this should be an improved LOI, with more support, better facilities, more money and therefore likely a better product for young players to stay and thrive under.
How do it? Well as a start pathethic price money which enables clubs to run week to week could be increased.
But of course that is not enough and this is why you need a working group of people from different backgrounds to run a case study. And not some lunatic out of touch with reality and life in ireland that they got the last time! 
Pick up the phone to niall Quinn would be a good start. Call his bluff and get him involved
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 9:31am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

With less and less kids playing 'street football' and becoming good footballers in spite of the underage structure in ireland, it's even more important that we reposition our focus moving forward
Irish kids up to u14 are equal to the best players in Europe. Its easy for uneducated people to slam the underage structure when they haven't a clue what they are talking about.
The schoolboy section is thriving as always and some schoolboy clubs have better facilities than every LOI
club except Rovers. The majority of the people producing our players are unpaid volunteers !!!

The issue is what happens to these players from 16 onwards whether it be in Ireland or the failed Academy system in England. I've been saying it for 20 years that I would like to see our players go to European countries (especially Holland where language would not be a problem). Look at the likes of Jadon Sancho at Dortmund. 
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 10:41am
Is that argument about the English academy system getting a little bit dated now though Gary? They have started producing technically proficient players the last few years. 
El Puto Amo
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:29am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Is that argument about the English academy system getting a little bit dated now though Gary? They have started producing technically proficient players the last few years. 
Yes there are exceptions of course but the general consensus is that it has failed to produce players in the numbers they had projected in comparison to other academies around Europe which they are based on. Im only talking about UK and Ireland players and not those pressganged and poached from other jurisdictions.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:54am
Gary, do you really think the talent is there at the moment though ? I've been living away quite a while so I'm not questioning your opinion as I'm sure you know a lot more on this. And I'm really happy that Rovers are going down the route they are doing to try and nurture the next generation of talent. But I get the impression that outside of England, Ireland is not really seen as a pool producing much talent and even for the English clubs, I don't think they focus on Ireland as much as they used to.
I would love to see young Irish players going into Europe also but I'm not sure that many of them are getting opportunities to do so. 

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Yes there are exceptions of course but the general consensus is that it has failed to produce players in the numbers they had projected in comparison to other academies around Europe which they are based on. Im only talking about UK and Ireland players and not those pressganged and poached from other jurisdictions.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Checking out the English underage teams and even the Senior side, there is a lot of talent starting to filter through in the last couple of years. I'm just wondering if the tide has turned a bit. I don't see us being the beneficiaries of it though and to keep this point relevant to this thread, I believe that the LOI underage structure should be the gateway for our kids to professional football. That will require a lot more investment and love from the FAI and we need the introduction of u14's, u16 and u18s LOI leagues to fill in the existing gaps. 
El Puto Amo
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

With less and less kids playing 'street football' and becoming good footballers in spite of the underage structure in ireland, it's even more important that we reposition our focus moving forward
Irish kids up to u14 are equal to the best players in Europe. Its easy for uneducated people to slam the underage structure when they haven't a clue what they are talking about.
The schoolboy section is thriving as always and some schoolboy clubs have better facilities than every LOI
club except Rovers. The majority of the people producing our players are unpaid volunteers !!!

The issue is what happens to these players from 16 onwards whether it be in Ireland or the failed Academy system in England. I've been saying it for 20 years that I would like to see our players go to European countries (especially Holland where language would not be a problem). Look at the likes of Jadon Sancho at Dortmund. 

Maybe some of the well established schoolboy sides and their A teams have a decent level of coaching. But start going down to their B and C teams and overall the vast majority of teams are coached by one of the player's dad who wings it without proper level of coaching education. 
It's then probably and overall majority of young players you would have to ask are they being trained by well qualified coaches with a specific common method. 
I hear you there is many talented young kids in the system and these need a much improved elite pathway too and they are trying to address this with the underage LOI leagues. But this is really only catering to the absolute elite and a lot are falling by the wayside while those young guys in B and C teams most likely never get a potential talent unearthed 
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 2:59pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/state-funding-to-fai-almost-50m-over-past-decade-but-little-to-show-for-it-1.3741101

This might just have a bit more to it to the last charade over the €5m bribe. This at least sees politicians coming at it from something they should be answerable to - Government funds.

Now no new questions will be asked and it’ll be the same rhetoric in response from Delaney but at least the governance issues are also to the fore and it may result in some pressure arising. End of the day the 80 year olds on the Board aren’t going to be physically fit to be re-elected too much longer so there, Delaney will whether he likes it or not have to shake up at some stage and knowing him the EGM in January is the likeliest spot for a political stroke to start initiating some reforms that he will be able to point to after he sets off for UEFA - and indeed at this summons to the oireachtais.

Edited by Pipkin - 24 Dec 2018 at 2:59pm
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 2:27pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 2:47pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 539>
  Share Topic