You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joel Bagan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

How does he qualify for us?

Is it a parent? Not sure, he played in out last u21 game anyway so they've already sized up his kit and he's played in it.

Both grandparents on his mothers sides are from Cork/Kerry.

Good chance he sticks with us, his brother Sam is a RB and has been with our u19s.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:57pm
He's a granny ruler, but I'd expect him to stick around. Has played competitively for our Under 21s now so can only play for another country at senior level, can't move to another team at Under 21s.

Unfortunately his Scotland appearances weren't in competitive games, if they were he would be tied to us now.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 6:37pm
Great to see a 19yo starting left back in the Championship declare for us. I wonder how much of that is down to Robbo and Tierney Smile Anyway, we'll happily welcome him on board and hopefully Mick and James Collins can convince both himself and young McGuinness to commit.
Idah Dream!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:49pm
Joel Bagan 5

Still feeling his way into things. A difficult start for him at both ends of the pitch, but grew into it.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mixed-bag-cardiff-city-player-21549749

I was expecting a 7 or 8 out of 10 performance from the hyping going on here.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 14 Sep 2021 at 9:49pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:58pm
Hype? One poster said that they thought he played very well. Christ. Above. If that qualifies as hype ...
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:04pm
Knew I'd get another bite from The O'Shea with that one. LOL
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 9:32pm
Scored his first senior goal today, for Cardiff vs Millwall.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 2:06pm
Great to hear
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 9:16pm
Just pinged one in with his weaker right foot against Coventry. Lovely goal.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 11:08pm
MOTM tonight. Certainly looks a bright prospect.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 12:11am
Dropped off for a biteen but seems to be back in the frame again for Cardiff.
Long may it continue 
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

So how far is Bagan from a senior call up, after coming back from a shoulder injury he's played 90mins in their last 3 games and scored 2 goals (I appreciate left backs are not measured on goals scored) 

Hes played 90mins in the championship on 12 occasions and been injured for 9 games. I'm not suggesting starting 11 but for the senior squad.

Enda Stevens is 32 in July and hasn't been in the Sheffield squad for the last 6 games... I think due to injury. And hasnt played 90 mins for the last 8 games.

Mcclean is 33 in April and really isn't good at left wing back costing us goals against Portugal and Andorra 

Doherty isn't playing very much and despite being young he's also the wrong side of 30. 

I don't think we have a lot of good options here, maybe Manning. Bagan is 20 and seems to be getting better and better defensively and going forward.

Don't think he's a million miles away I think he's a lot of potential our best random recruit through the granny rule in a few years. Few injuries to options in front of him or if he keeps developing maybe a year or two away from caps. Looks clear first choice for the 21s. McClean Stevens Scales Manning and I'm not sure Kenny is sold on Manning Bagan probably 5th. 

You mention aging full backs this time last year we were wondering where our replacement wing backs were going to come from McNamara at Millwall only possible argument. Very few youngsters.

Now Ebosele Kioso Ogbene are all flying along at the right side and you have Scales Bagan declaring and Adaramola looking a real prospect at Palace on the Left side. Multiple younger options with the potential to play at a high level (Championship or top flight football) coming through when the 4 senior lads all 30 or older eventually step aside. 

Something to keep in mind too we lament our attacking players or lack of. When the majority of options you have is potential under the age of 23/24 like us it's to be kept in mind a lot can change in a year or two.

Edited by kevin100 - 16 Feb 2022 at 1:25pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 1:22pm
I assume Scales is another. He's already been called up so maybe he's next in.line. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I assume Scales is another. He's already been called up so maybe he's next in.line. 

I'd like to see Scales get a start in a friendly certainly this year. Doing well at Celtic but the 3 times I have seen him he drops off a bit late on in games. Celtic play a high energy style reckon with a full Postecoglu type pre season under his belt to bring his fitness up he could kick on again. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 1:41pm
I think Bagan has a bit to go yet to get a senior call up. Unless he's playing unbelievably well I'd be happy to leave him with the Under 21s and to develop at club level for this campaign and give Manning a chance to see what he can do alongside the older crop - Stevens, Doherty, McClean. Scales also comes into it if he can nail down the first team spot at Celtic (though less so if he's not getting picked ahead of Greg Taylor).

If Bagan nails down a first team place at Cardiff from now into next season and continues to do well I'd maybe look at him for a senior call up then.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 2:55pm
Mick McCarthy rated Bagan highly when he managed Cardiff and recommended him to Jim Crawford for the under-21s. I watched the Cardiff v Coventry game last night and he was outstanding. His younger brother Sam at QPR, also a left back, is doing well too at the moment and was called up to an Ireland under-18 training camp last year.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 4:06pm
Isn't Manning now playing as a CH in a 3-at-the-back for Swansea?

I'd like to see us trial out some players in that LWB role in March and would be happy to see Manning, Scales or Bagan get decent minutes, especially in the 2nd match.

I'd say Manning is some ways ahead of the other two and will be in the squad, but be interesting to see if SK calls up one of the others as cover.  I don't think we need to be playing McClean in these friendlies.

CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 4:17pm
Agree that left back is a position we need to try out new blood in the upcoming friendlies. Manning, Scales and Bagan probably the 3 contenders. I don't know much about Bagan apart from watching him in a couple of the 21s games where he was average to below average on those occasions. I would personally have Scales as the one I think who could make the position his own. Very intelligent player who picks up great positions in an attacking sense, comfortable on the ball, can pass and shoot, but also a very calm and elegant defender who is equally comfortable at centre back. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic