You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Hodge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 40>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 4:21pm
Good points. 

Connor Ronan, another smaller creative player who excelled for us at U21, did poorly in English lower-league loans.  

Once he went out to the continent (Slovakia's best team, then Grasshopper Zurich), he progressed rapidly. To the point that he is arguably St Mirren's best player and is being spoken about for a move to Aberdeen or back South.

Joe Hodge will grow into his frame.  The fundamentals - skill and attitude - seem to be there in abundance.  While he's still physically developing, I'd like to see him go on loan to a league where physical attributes are less of a defining feature.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 26 Apr 2022 at 4:24pm
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 4:56pm
He was sent on-loan to Derry at the start of the '21 season only to never kick a ball due to serious injuries (back, I believe?).
So I'd imagine a loan will happen for the new season.

I'm not too concerned where he goes.  He has the talent to compete in any of the mentioned leagues.
Just hope he stays fit and he should be the first name on our U21 team-sheet next term and then who knows what he can achieve.

A small anecdote - at that U20 match in Home Farm there, he came on as a 2nd half sub and soon after his team-mates were constantly trying to get the ball to him.
Heard more than once was "GET IT TO HODGEY!"

And when he did get it, he looked a class apart.
Very fast feet and crisp passing to compliment good tackling and he was everywhere on the pitch.
And this with the rustiness of not having played much, which was also evident.

I've harboured high hopes for this lad for a few years now and am excited to see what the new season brings for him.  Be very disappointed if its a season of PL2 and he's a lad that Kenny has name-checked more than once, so it's not beyond the beyonds that he has a good loan-season that gets him into some friendlies senior squad in 2023.

Edited by Fozz - 26 Apr 2022 at 4:56pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Good points. 

Connor Ronan, another smaller creative player who excelled for us at U21, did poorly in English lower-league loans.  

Once he went out to the continent (Slovakia's best team, then Grasshopper Zurich), he progressed rapidly. To the point that he is arguably St Mirren's best player and is being spoken about for a move to Aberdeen or back South.

As a now Wolves player Joe Hodge may even get a loan at Grasshoppers due to the strong link between clubs. Might be good for him if he is up for going to another country.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 9:30pm
Did I imagine it or did some Irish pundit/journalist/coach say at one stage if we were to lose him to England he would be a bigger loss than Declan Rice? 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Seems to be staying injury free too which is fantastic.

We lose kilkenny and Coventy amongst others in the u21s next year, I'd really like to see Hodge and Costello given an opportunity at that level. 

There's probably a good few players that will make u21 soon enough. Luke Pearce for example.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him with the U21s in June if he's fit. Especially if Coventry gets moved up.

Costello will have some stiff competition - Odubeko, Ferguson, Kenny, Cannon.

Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Did I imagine it or did some Irish pundit/journalist/coach say at one stage if we were to lose him to England he would be a bigger loss than Declan Rice? 

Shane Keegan a couple of years ago. Hodge was still with Man City at that point.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 6:41am
Just saw a video of his goal. He looks to have grown a bit in the two or three years since I saw him play. You'd expect that given they were his teenage years but it is helpful. High hopes for this lad. 
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 10:16am
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

That was definitely said but it is also entirely not true. He's only 3 years younger than Rice and not in his league as a player.
gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 7:55pm
Playing live tonight, first half just over, being mentioned very positively, been watching the game, he really is a very good player, playing DM, link....https://tv.wolves.co.uk/player?feedId=81e4f698-9dbf-4e6f-b6a1-18963bf6539b&sectionId=d657ce11-8438-4294-8766-def081dba964&entryId=0_jfaxmyfi
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:07pm
Thanks for that.

Hodge (no.8), Lee Harkin (no.9) also playing for Wolves.

David Okagbue playing CB for Stoke.

Found the youtube stream, allows you to scroll back to the first half
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:50pm
Always looks a very good player any time I've seen him for U17 or U19.
And this generally playing against older and bigger lads.  He's not playing above his age due to physical attributes anyway!

Hope he's in the 21's for the upcoming games and could see gametime if so.

Be a huge presence for the next campaign.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:02pm
Not even up for debate.
Sure he was loaned already, but injury prevented him kicking a ball so they must deem him ready.
Has to go out this summer and get playing men's football.

I rate ths lad.  For me he's the most impressive Sub-U21 or below player we have, and I want to see him in the 21's and playing senior club football ASAP.

Edit - I'd go further.
Have seen calls for Coventry being upped to the seniors and get him a taste of the squad and just act as cover in case we were to lose Cullen and Hendrick, leaving us very thin indeed.
I'd agree with that.  Not to get him a cap (unless we really were facing an injury crisis), but as prep for down the road.
Then slot Hodge straight into that U21 starting birth.

Edited by Fozz - 23 May 2022 at 9:06pm
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:36am
watched some of the match from the youtube link there, looks pretty decent. nice ball to get their left back in behind in the buildup to their second goal
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:56am
Kilkenny Coventry and Hodge nice to see a few ball playing CMs with the same potential and.hopefully ceiling as Cullen emerge. We need them emerging. 

Wouldnt mind seeing Coventry potentially bumped up to the senior team and this lad in as a ready made replacement for the 21s. 

Wolves are looking at losing Neves and will need to replace more then him as Moutinho can't play the volumr of games he has this season at his age next season. Is there any faint hope Hodge gets a few outings in the first team Cup games of nothing else.

Edited by kevin100 - 24 May 2022 at 11:57am
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 2:53pm
Just back from a serious back injury a couple of months and don't see Wolves rushing him out the door this summer to get him a loan somewhere. If he does end up out on loan could see it being in Jan.

Luke Cundle who scored twice last night has been in 33PL match day squads this season. Playing four games and starting twice against Newcastle and Spurs this year. Also played 18/28 PL2 games with the U23s throughout the season. Could see Hodge staying to train with the seniors and play with U23s with Wolves making a decision after the WC about a loan in Jan. There's a six week break in the PL for the WC so will be like a second preseason for lads not at the WC to impress coaches.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 7:47pm
Back with the Wolves U21s, starting with Lee Harkin & Nathan Fraser vs Chelsea U21s .

Streaming on their youtube page

He's not afraid to throw himself into tackles anyway. Any concerns about his injury must be well behind him. Would like to see him go out on loan this season.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 9:06pm
maybe time for his own thread?

2 goals in the EFL for wolves. looks a good candidate to step up to u21s.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 9:20pm
I watched the game. He was great, it was a very young Shrewsbury team but not to take away from his performance. Took his goals very well and involved in most good things Wolves did, always impresses me how solid and tenacious he is defensively for a lad of his stature.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

maybe time for his own thread?

2 goals in the EFL for wolves. looks a good candidate to step up to u21s.

He was in the last 21's squad, but Crawford has said he (and the likes of Armstrong, Moran and Okoflex) are lads for the next campaign.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 40>
  Share Topic