You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Hodge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 40>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 11:47am
he should be involved vs latvia. kenny has lost his bottle though so id be shocked if he was named at all. 
Sponsored Links

CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

he should be involved vs latvia. kenny has lost his bottle though so id be shocked if he was named at all. 

If he was playing regularly, either for Wolves or on loan in the Championship, I'd agree with you. However I don't think he deserves a spot in the squad if he hasn't played any football in the previous two months. Will get his chance over the next 12 months I'm sure.
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

If he was playing regularly, either for Wolves or on loan in the Championship, I'd agree with you. However I don't think he deserves a spot in the squad if he hasn't played any football in the previous two months. Will get his chance over the next 12 months I'm sure.

are his minutes on the pitch all that worse than matt dohertys in the last few months?  latvia game is a pain for SK. he should use it as a game to "bed" in players , a point which he continues to harp on about. the game is utterly pointless in the scheme of things. give the kid 20 mins off the bench, nothing will be lost by it. 

Edited by 84ccfc84 - 05 Mar 2023 at 8:11pm
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 9:34am
I dont think Hodge's situation is the same as Matt Dohertys. Doherty is a well established firrst team player for us. Hodge got a few run out (before Xmas was it) and hasn't featured at all recently.
He's gonna be a good player for us and might be worth a call up to the squad to get acclimatised to the surroundings but I wouldn't be giving him game time. Surely Smallbone who is started regularly is ahead of him in the pecking order?
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 9:50am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I dont think Hodge's situation is the same as Matt Dohertys. Doherty is a well established firrst team player for us. Hodge got a few run out (before Xmas was it) and hasn't featured at all recently.
He's gonna be a good player for us and might be worth a call up to the squad to get acclimatised to the surroundings but I wouldn't be giving him game time. Surely Smallbone who is started regularly is ahead of him in the pecking order?

smallbone should be a starter, no reason hodge shouldnt get in the sqaud vs latvia for me. showed enough for wolves until mid jan, against good opposition, to be in the squad for a game against poor opposition. parrott and ferguson have been called into matchday squads for qualifiers/friendlies with less minutes than hodge. i dont think it should be a barrier for him  

Edited by 84ccfc84 - 06 Mar 2023 at 9:50am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 10:14am
Space in the squad is one thing that might count against him. If Smallbone is taking Hourihane's place, hopefully long term, and Knight is coming back in for McGrath, who loses out to fit Hodge in? It won't be Cullen, Molumby or Hendrick, has Hodge really done enough in those few games to oust Browne?

Personally I'd have no problem with them making an extra space for him, but they seem to want to keep the squad at about the same number - 25 or so, every window.
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 10:23am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Space in the squad is one thing that might count against him. If Smallbone is taking Hourihane's place, hopefully long term, and Knight is coming back in for McGrath, who loses out to fit Hodge in? It won't be Cullen, Molumby or Hendrick, has Hodge really done enough in those few games to oust Browne?

Personally I'd have no problem with them making an extra space for him, but they seem to want to keep the squad at about the same number - 25 or so, every window.

are there limits for friendly games? tbh id be wrapping cullen up wouldnt have him in the squad v latvia. i think adding an extra player or 2 just for the latvia game for the likes of hodge would be beneficial. no issue at all with him not making the MD squad for france. just think we could better utilise players for these friendly games .
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 11:00am
I'd personally leave him with the U21s and give him the captains armband for the campaign, we can always see where he is come August/September, if he's a first team player at Wolves then obviously he comes into the reckoning. Coventry deserves a chance vs Latvia imo and as others have said Smallbone has to be in the squad also - I just dont think there's the space in the squad for a lad who hasnt played a first team game in months now. I like him a lot, but I dont think he's ready to step up just yet.
Idah Dream!
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 6:50pm
He has 8 Wolves first team appearances, including 5 in the PL.  He's done well twice against Liverpool.

He is more than able for the step-up.

He has been the best prospect at every age-group he's played at for Ireland, often playing a few age-groups ahead.  

Players like Joe Hodge are the future and we should be getting them involved - I'm not saying starting against France - now.

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 8:03pm
Should be in ahead of Browne who is average enough at this level.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 8:42pm
I'd have him in the squad, and even if it's just to train with the seniors it's better than being stuck with Crawford for one friendly. Let someone that hasn't featured yet for the U21s get minutes.

Would have Coventry in the squad also to train as he's our only like for like replacement we've got for Cullen.
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 8:59pm
Shane Keegan's quote a few years back that, "Joe Hodge would be a bigger loss to Ireland than either Jack Grealish or Declan Rice", has always stuck with me.  
Let's keep this really simple.  Joe Hodge is our only midfield option to have logged minutes in the Premier League this season.  Joe Hodge is potentially the answer to a question  a number of us have been asking since Wes retired.  After Josh Cullen (1st name on team sheet), Molumby, Knight, and Hendrick, I see absolutely no reason not to name Hodge.  I used to have high hopes for Smallbone, but after watching him a number of times last year, don't believe he is the creative answer we desperately need.  Hodge just might be.  Let's see.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

Shane Keegan's quote a few years back that, "Joe Hodge would be a bigger loss to Ireland than either Jack Grealish or Declan Rice", has always stuck with me.  
Let's keep this really simple.  Joe Hodge is our only midfield option to have logged minutes in the Premier League this season.  Joe Hodge is potentially the answer to a question  a number of us have been asking since Wes retired.  After Josh Cullen (1st name on team sheet), Molumby, Knight, and Hendrick, I see absolutely no reason not to name Hodge.  I used to have high hopes for Smallbone, but after watching him a number of times last year, don't believe he is the creative answer we desperately need.  Hodge just might be.  Let's see.

Hodge has a grand total of 168 minutes in the Premier League this season, the last of which came on the 4th January. I wouldnt die in a ditch either way over his inclusion in the Senior Squad atm, I just think he might benefit more at this stage in his career from playing a key role, as captain and midfield enforcer, in the upcoming U21 campaign. If he starts next season in the senior Wolves squad or gets a good loan move to a decent Championship level club and plays regularly, then the issue can be revisited then.

Also, just to be clear, much as I like Hodge, I dont really see him as a creative midfielder as such. He is more of a 6/8, unlike Smallbone (who has improved steadily this season, since returning from almost a year out of the game) who is more of an 8/10. They are not an either/or imo. We have plenty of 6/8's (Hodge may well have a higher ceiling than most of them tbf), but we dont really have a lad who can play in the #10 role and I dont see Hodge being the answer to that, the likes of Smallbone, Azaz, Szmodics might be.

Shane Keegan wouldnt be a lad I would have much time for, but I certainly hope he's right regarding Hodge being a better player than the £100mn rated duo of Grealish and Rice.
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 1:33am
I would be very much in favour of getting Hodge (& Ebosele) in for the Latvia game. There's no better way to show dual-eligible players they're wanted than by actually getting them a game, and we have a spare game going right there. No-brainer.

We want to avoid using first team players in the Latvia game as it's too risky regarding injuries. with France just 5 days later, and these 2 lads warrant a cap based both on talent & the fact they've both played top flight football this season (doesn't have to be a huge amount of minutes).

They'd certainly learn more in a few days with the seniors than with Crawford.

Could start Coventry (DM) and Sykes (RWB), then bring Hodge & Festy on for the last 15mins. Then send them back to the U21s for the Iceland friendly the following Sunday. The 2 of them (& possibly Cannon) can bounce back & forth between the U21s and Seniors depending on who needs them more (if there's injuries/suspensions to Cullen/Coventry & Doherty/Coleman, etc.).

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I would be very much in favour of getting Hodge (& Ebosele) in for the Latvia game. There's no better way to show dual-eligible players they're wanted than by actually getting them a game, and we have a spare game going right there. No-brainer.

We want to avoid using first team players in the Latvia game as it's too risky regarding injuries. with France just 5 days later, and these 2 lads warrant a cap based both on talent & the fact they've both played top flight football this season (doesn't have to be a huge amount of minutes).

They'd certainly learn more in a few days with the seniors than with Crawford.

Could start Coventry (DM) and Sykes (RWB), then bring Hodge & Festy on for the last 15mins. Then send them back to the U21s for the Iceland friendly the following Sunday. The 2 of them (& possibly Cannon) can bounce back & forth between the U21s and Seniors depending on who needs them more (if there's injuries/suspensions to Cullen/Coventry & Doherty/Coleman, etc.).

I agree with a lot of your stuff Greenie, but I still think Ebosele and Hodge should link up with the U21 squad, even though it's only a friendly. 

For a start, I'm not sure there is enough room in the senior squad if we are looking to include players from the last U21 campaign who are playing regularly and performing well such as Coventry, Azaz and Smallbone. 

Secondly, although it's only a friendly, it should be a competitive one and it's the first chance for the U21 squad to meet up together and with Crawford (who I am sure you are aware I am not a big fan of). Hodge should be given the armband for the game and Ebosele should start (and be given assurances that he will be first choice RWB for the campaign). Both should be told that if their circumstances change at club level, then they are very much in the thoughts of management for the senior squad, but as of today, neither has done enough imo and both are U21 eligible.
Idah Dream!
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 12:06pm
I like the idea of fluid movement (no jokes ladsCensored) between the seniors and U21. The more often its done the less of an big deal it is about being demoted to the U21's
It's not me it's you:-)
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 1:49pm
New captain of the U-21s. Good move by Crawford although I’d expect him to move up before the end of the campaign. I really like what I’ve seen of him and think he has a higher ceiling than the rest of our young centre mids.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 10:33am
Got a spin off the bench yesterday, came on in the 84th minute. Hopefully can get himself a good loan in the summer.

Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 40>
  Share Topic