Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Hodge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 40>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:51pm
f**k I’ve been reading that for years well 
Took it as fact 
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:55pm
Only call up Rice got before 2018 was to the training camp in Fota before the friendlies with Mexico, Uruguay, and the home qualifier against Austria.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Rice wouldn’t have sat on the bench in a competitive game if that was true 

ONeill covering his mistake 

If it's the away game against Moldova that you're thinking of, he wasn't on the bench.

I didn't think Rive was on the bench for either of the Moldova games. He was only in the squad for friendlies afaik. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 4:28pm

Even if O'Neill should've shoehorned him into the squad at home to Moldova,  Declan Rice himself is primarily responsible for the reason why he's playing for England. It was his decision. 

I don't neccessarily buy O'Neill's line that Rice was the same as Grealish in always holding out for England but certainly England's semi-final achievement at the world cup in Russia in 2018 combined with a change in agent that summer (I think) was the reason his head was turned. 

I don't think Rice would've defected if England had an Icelandic 2016 disastrous style  exit from the world cup. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Even if O'Neill should've shoehorned him into the squad at home to Moldova,  Declan Rice himself is primarily responsible for the reason why he's playing for England. It was his decision. 

I don't neccessarily buy O'Neill's line that Rice was the same as Grealish in always holding out for England but certainly England's semi-final achievement at the world cup in Russia in 2018 combined with a change in agent that summer (I think) was the reason his head was turned. 

I don't think Rice would've defected if England had an Icelandic 2016 disastrous style  exit from the world cup. 

If we'd had a competitive match in March 2018, it's very likely that Rice would have found some way of getting out of the squad - not necessarily because he had already made the decision to switch at that point, but he almost certainly would have been hedging his bets in his own head.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 1:38am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I don't recall Rice being named on the bench in any competitive game?
It's a commonly believed myth/mandela effect that Rice was on the bench for the home game against Moldova in 2017. 

I believe I may have started that myth a couple of years ago in one of the many, many debates here about eligibility.

My point was that he should have been on the bench that day (he wasn't) and given a run-out, having had 5 PL appearances at that stage.  It was a low-risk game, especially after we were 2-0 up. It was the first time I'd seen it mentioned.  

It was a failure not to have him on the squad or on the bench after 5 PL appearances (at a time when one cap would tie a player, and he was "all-in" with no sign of England in sight - that only game after he got 3 caps for Ireland, including a MOTM performance in the Stade France that showed he really could mix it with world-class players (the opposition, not his Irish team-mates, in case you were wondering)).

I made the same point about Grealish against Gibralter in Autumn 2014 when he was playing very well for Notts County (he wasn't in the senior squad either).

Anyway, these points have been discussed ad nauseum on here. 

The point for Hodge is - get him involved at senior level now.  He's probably been the most stand-out player we've had coming right through from U16 for years, and he's keeping that record of over-achievement up. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 9:41am
Joao Gomes having a medical at Wolves. With another midfielder joining they'll surely try to get Hodge a loan to play regularly for the rest of the season.

Edited by J89 - 30 Jan 2023 at 9:41am
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 1:28am
Is Hodge still starting against France? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 12:43pm
He should use the Wolves connection and get Jorge Mendes to be his agent. It's done wonders for Matt Doherty's career.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 12:51pm
Just read an article there which claims that Wolves considered loaning him out but Lopetegui wanted to keep him. Great indictment on his abilities, maybe not so great for his development. I assume they plan to give him a full season out on loan next year.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 4:59pm
Back down with the Wolves U21s today - 63 minute run out and a yellow card in a 2-0 win over Arsenal U21s. Nathan Fraser played the full 90 and Lee Harkin came off the bench.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 5:22pm
Lemina sent off against Southampton, so he'll be back on the bench for their next game.
We're decent enough..
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 11:09pm
Where is he these days?
Dropped off the radar, injured?
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 11:27pm

Where is he these days?
Dropped off the radar, injured?

30mins football since start of January and Lopetegui seems to be going with more experience in Midfield, which is understandable.
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 8:45am
Needs a move and has to start against France 
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 9:01am
Lopetegui going for experience with the relegation battle. Also the young lad Joao Gomes who is getting the minutes off the bench right now that Hodge was getting just got his first call up for Brazil. The PL is rough to make it in as a young player for sure with the money flying around.

Lopetegui wanted to keep him around though and clearly likes him. Next season a pretty good chance Wolves lose at at least two of Moutinho, Nunes and Neves. (I'm still in denial about the latter though. 😔) So Hodge will be able to have his chance to work his way into the plans.

From an Ireland perspective I still think we should call him up no we shouldn't play him against France haha. But he's played more PL minutes than any of our CMs are likely too anytime soon with the exception of Josh Cullen next season I'm guessing and 'smaller countries' should try bring in their top talents early and I think Hodge is one of those. Get him around the squad and  given him minutes in the friendly. I can see Kenny not doing this but just my view.

Edited by SC92 - 05 Mar 2023 at 9:02am
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 10:58am
I'd have him with this squad and get some gametime v Latvia.

21's start competitive matches in September, so if the lad is still on the outside looking in at Wolves, he can play competitive 21's games for us and look to be bumped to the seniors if his club form goes on an upwards spiral.

But this March window we have a freindly which he could get a run-out in, and get embedded in the senior squad and get used to the surroundings.

Edited by Fozz - 05 Mar 2023 at 10:58am
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 11:43am
We need to be repleneshing the squad again. Some of these older players have no chance of being around in 2 years and don't have the quality anyway

That for me would mean including Hodge and Smallbone in the squad.
Players like Hourihane should not be in the squad again. 

Kenny talked about Ireland taking too long to cap players and a lack of faith in youth when taking the job. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 40>
  Share Topic