You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Hodge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 40>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

"I'm fully focused on playing for Ireland," "There's no decision to be made. If I didn't want to be playing for Ireland, I wouldn't be here."

Declan Rice 

That's actually a very politician type answer to give. At no point in that statement does he commit his long term future to Ireland - he just says he's happy with Ireland at that point in time.

Compare to Hodge's statement:

"I only want to play for Ireland". Clap

Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 1:33pm
Never in any doubt - the lad has never been anything less than 100% in his application and commitment playing for Ireland. Now that all the nonsense and insinuation is dead in the water, get him in the squad and let him develop, he's earned it.
We're decent enough..
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

"I'm fully focused on playing for Ireland," "There's no decision to be made. If I didn't want to be playing for Ireland, I wouldn't be here."

Declan Rice 

That's actually a very politician type answer to give. At no point in that statement does he commit his long term future to Ireland - he just says he's happy with Ireland at that point in time.

"There's no decision to be made" strongly implies that he wasn't even considering a possibility of playing for anybody but Ireland.

Anyway, no place in the squad for young Joe today. Hopefully a loan is in the offing.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Declan Rice 

"There's no decision to be made" strongly implies that he wasn't even considering a possibility of playing for anybody but Ireland.

Anyway, no place in the squad for young Joe today. Hopefully a loan is in the offing.
Right. And Hodge was a bit-part player for England and was subsequently an everpresent for Ireland, so it's not like he left England despite being their star midfielder. Hopefully England don't show an interest before Kenny calls him up anyway. Although if he doesn't get back into the Wolves side he might have to stay with the Under-21s anyway, given Kenny's gra for Smallbone.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 1:38pm
No place in the squad today unfortunately with new singings on the bench 

Edited by wanderer - 22 Jan 2023 at 1:39pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 1:39pm
Contract sorted, and now he's prepped for a decent loan, having made his PL debut and shown what he's made of.
No shame not making the Wolves squad when they'd added new signings to midfield.
Rest of the season playing weekly will elevate the lad further.

Edited by Fozz - 22 Jan 2023 at 1:39pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 1:53pm
Certainly more direct and unambiguous than Rice was re his international position. The latter not only gave the weaselly answer identified above but said at one point that he didn’t have a choice to make because England hadn’t asked him. He and Grealish subsequently made with the “will he, won’t he” crap over a period of time when everybody by then knew what their game was. So, kudos to Joe and congrats on getting that long term Wolves contract.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 2:23pm

Declan Rice 

It depends on which way you look at it. "No decision to be made" strongly implies that he didn't have more than one option (Ireland) to decide between at that point. The second option became viable for him and proved more attractive to him after. 

I find it 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 2:50pm

Declan Rice 

Given subsequent events it seems pretty clear that what he really meant was there's no decision because England haven't asked (yet).

But either way a typically political type answer from him, probably one he had been fed before the interview by an agent. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 2:56pm
Ffs do yous never get tired of this sh*te. Lads trying to decipher a pretty black and white statement. He wants to play for Ireland, it's not the Da Vinci code. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Ffs do yous never get tired of this sh*te. Lads trying to decipher a pretty black and white statement. He wants to play for Ireland, it's not the Da Vinci code. 

What are you on about, sure nobody's doing that (the comments above are about Rice)?
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:14pm

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

What are you on about, sure nobody's doing that (the comments above are about Rice)?

What? So nothing on the Joe Hodge thread referring to an article questioning his declaration for Ireland is related to Joe Hodge? 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:24pm
Martin O'Neill said very recently that he felt Grealish and Rice firmly wanted to play for England and that it was far from the case that they 'slipped through the net'. He thinks that if he had tried to cap either of them at competitive level, they would have found some way of dodging the call up. He felt they were just biding their time and going through the motions in the Ireland camps.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Martin O'Neill said very recently that he felt Grealish and Rice firmly wanted to play for England and that it was far from the case that they 'slipped through the net'. He thinks that if he had tried to cap either of them at competitive level, they would have found some way of dodging the call up. He felt they were just biding their time and going through the motions in the Ireland camps.

It may be true and was probably true for Grealish but what would you say if you were O'Neill and were as self-serving as he is?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:42pm
Rice wouldn’t have sat on the bench in a competitive game if that was true 

ONeill covering his mistake 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:44pm
I don't recall Rice being named on the bench in any competitive game?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I don't recall Rice being named on the bench in any competitive game?
It's a commonly believed myth/mandela effect that Rice was on the bench for the home game against Moldova in 2017. 

Edited by SeaSharp - 22 Jan 2023 at 3:47pm
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Rice wouldn’t have sat on the bench in a competitive game if that was true 

ONeill covering his mistake 

If it's the away game against Moldova that you're thinking of, he wasn't on the bench.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 40>
  Share Topic