You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff Hendrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 143>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

he’s a poor player. Could name at least 3 loi players better equipped than him.

3 LOI players better than a PL player - who do you reckon they are?
Sponsored Links

CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 11:33pm
Yeah I feel bad for Hendrick almost, he gets shunted around the pitch so often and doesn't really have a set role in the team. Last night he started off playing as a forward almost and finished the game as our deepest midfielder. He hasn't played well for us lately but in terms of ability he is one of our better players.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 11:49pm
There's certain players get absurdly overrated by Irish fans (and managers) but Hendrick has to be the most extreme. If he plays deep midfield MON is blamed for not utilising his strengths when he miserably fails, when he plays further forward and fails its the same excuses. 
You prove you are a quality international footballer by playing well, performing and showing that ability. Hendrick spends 99% of the time doing nothing whatsoever on the pitch and most of what he does do he does badly. Watching him for Burnley its rarely different. 
Shaun Williams might not be fashionable or have a big (undeserved) reputation but he performs efficiently week in week out and actually contributes something on the pitch for us despite playing in the same systems that handicap everyone else. But MON will always stick with his favourites it seems, even if it comes to picking them in some completely irrational position.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 11:55pm
Williams constantly shows for the ball, and doesn't like giving it away. Those 2 things alone mark him out among the rest of our midfielders. Hendrick is struggling, and nobody, not even Dyche or MON, not to mind lads on here, really seems to know what kind of a midfielder he is or isn't. At times he has looked OK in a deeper role, at other times, like in France, he performed well in an attacking role, but I've always thought that had a lot to do with playing beside the underrated McCarthy in France, who actually is our best defensive midfielder when fit & available. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

As I've said elsewhere, I think his best position is holding midfield, or ordinary centre mid at best.

He as the strength, athletism and discipline to defend there and touch and pace to getting things moving when we have the ball - there where he has more time and can pick a pass.  He doesn't have the passing ability of a good no 10 in his locker, and his finishing isn't good enough as yesterday's chance demonstrated. 

The first two would be more useful to an advanced midfielder; think of how he won the ball back in Wales for McClean's goal. The third attribute is not something I'd associate with him. Holding midfield requires a huge amount of game intelligence, which is not something I have noticed in his game. He's been getting a huge amount of criticism lately, some of it deserved, but I wonder would another manager get more out of him.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

There's certain players get absurdly overrated by Irish fans (and managers) but Hendrick has to be the most extreme. If he plays deep midfield MON is blamed for not utilising his strengths when he miserably fails, when he plays further forward and fails its the same excuses. 
You prove you are a quality international footballer by playing well, performing and showing that ability. Hendrick spends 99% of the time doing nothing whatsoever on the pitch and most of what he does do he does badly. Watching him for Burnley its rarely different. 
Shaun Williams might not be fashionable or have a big (undeserved) reputation but he performs efficiently week in week out and actually contributes something on the pitch for us despite playing in the same systems that handicap everyone else. But MON will always stick with his favourites it seems, even if it comes to picking them in some completely irrational position.
Correct.

Also, Hendrick has a decent touch and little else. His passing is dreadful, his dribbling is poor, his shooting errant etc. He's strength, to quote Kevin Keegan, is his strength. That is what Dyche and MON like most about him. How people still think he is a good player is baffling.
He will start again tomorrow night and nobody will have a clue what he is doing, least of all Jeff, but we will blame MON anyway because it's easier than accepting the reality.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:43am
I feel Jeff has all the attributes but struggles with consistency. Like he has the unique ability to go missing in matches. I can't remember him touching the ball in the 2nd half Saturday. I literally had to look for him. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:44am
He is better at hiding than I am.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:46am
It's unreal. I couldn't believe how much he was hiding. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:49am
Something Burnley and Derby fans also think he is superb at, but it is MON's fault. The only mistake MON is making is picking him, though he has the excuse that we don't have much else.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:51am
Is he completely bluffing a living? Bar that cameo for that goal in Georgia, what has he done?

***You're right - Wales away was unreal by him 

Edited by kearney304 - 15 Oct 2018 at 9:07am
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:06am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Is he completely bluffing a living? Bar that cameo for that goal in Georgia, what has he done?

....Wales away he set up the goal, also scored against Serbia Wink

I agree with some of the above sentiments about Hendrick and he has actually said himself in an interview in weekend paper (not sure which one) said that he is frustrated that he has played in numerous positions for Ireland over the years.Defensive mid, left mid, right mid, attacking mid.

He says the only time he felt like he was played in a position he was 100% comfortable was during the Euros were he played on the left of a diamond against Sweden. I agree with this also think he plays well or would as a more advanced midfielder in the hole behind the striker as he does for Burnley.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:09am
He has been dropped from that role to the bench last season and again this season at club level. It says something when you consider the players that he is battling with for a start.

He just isn't very good.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:14am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:25am
Also can we please talk about him being a sh*t house of the highest order and still not being able to finish the 1v1. I burst out laughing LOL
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

LOL

Haha
He has managed to get 42 caps for Ireland.

In fairness he has some good games/moments but no consistency.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:41am
Should change his shirt number
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

LOL

Haha
He has managed to get 42 caps for Ireland.

In fairness he has some good games/moments but no consistency.
Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 143>
  Share Topic