You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff Hendrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 143>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggs1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:00pm
Hes getting alot of criticism on here atm. Must be his hair?
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:10pm
He looked ok in the first half and cut a frustrated figure in the second which was a really bad 45mins for him.

At least he didn't hide away from  the ball, hourihane can go a game without making a mistake because he hides from the ball.

I dont think he deserves any more or less criticism than the others 

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:16pm
Not to start bashing aul Jeff (again), but if you type his name into Twitter you can see the number one question from Newcastle fans is.. what does he do? 

It is the age old question when it comes to Jeff. Managers seem to always pick him. But not just pragmatic managers. Somebody supposedly more progressive and attack minded like Stephen Kenny has also chosen him in his midfield. What gives...?

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:44pm
I sometimes wonder what the bashers actually want him to do.
Do people expect him to score and assist every game?

Even in that article they go on about scoring and assisting for two paragraphs and then gloss over his 78% passing arcuracy.

Hendrick is a hustler imo he does the dirty work in midfield pressing a player to pass to someone else in a less dangerous area. 

Even in terms of passing how many of those 78% passes lead to chances maybe not directly from his boot but from the pass to the player who did set things up. 
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:47pm
he plays premiership football every week that none of our other midfielders, except maybe mc carthy, do. watched last night, he did a lot of covering newcastles right flank from c. palace attacks which came mostly on that side. saw little of the ball but still played 2-3 really nice passes in the game
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Not to start bashing aul Jeff (again), but if you type his name into Twitter you can see the number one question from Newcastle fans is.. what does he do? 

It is the age old question when it comes to Jeff. Managers seem to always pick him. But not just pragmatic managers. Somebody supposedly more progressive and attack minded like Stephen Kenny has also chosen him in his midfield. What gives...?

Its a fair question, but to complete the question of what does he actually do, you need to also ask what is he being asked to do.

I think hendrick is a good player but do wonder whats going on when he goes missing in games or when games pass him by.

Weve all seen him play a lot and his work rate has been very good under Kenny and his performances have been better. I would go as far as saying he's been the best player under Kenny but maybe that's not saying much yet.

I understand why Hendrick faces criticism as expectation with him is higher as he does have technical ability, he's not slow, has a good shot etc and as a result he doesn't get a pass that a limited player like Whelan would get by some on here. 

Fans ask these questions of midfielders all the time, I've heard fans ask what Henderson does at Liverpool, what Dier does at Tottenham. 

Its easier to see what Zaha does at Palace or Grealish at Villa and its not always easy to see from other types of player.

Your link is nearly 3 years old but I do feel that Hendrick is an average player, if only we had a few more average players as I think players like hourihane, Brady, odowda, mcclean and a lot more are below average.

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:57pm
Managers like Bruce love a Hendrick, does a lot of donkey work and keeps things simple for the flair players to do the magic, he clocks up on average 13km a game and is always harrying or chasing, there is a reason he has played over 100 Premier league games.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Managers like Bruce love a Hendrick, does a lot of donkey work and keeps things simple for the flair players to do the magic, he clocks up on average 13km a game and is always harrying or chasing, there is a reason he has played over 100 Premier league games.

I was actually looking for this stat.

The premier league is the most scrutinised league in the world - every player is benchmarked against others so there is no hiding place. 

For me Hendrick does a lot of dirty work and he is an intelligent player. His passing and awareness is good. I do think he should be doing better with assists and goals but the manager / club trainers are obviously happy with the job he does.

eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 3:15pm
His feet are far too slow. His days as an attacking mid are long gone. 
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I sometimes wonder what the bashers actually want him to do.

Contribute something productive offensively or defensively to help his team to win matches I think would be the general answer, same as you could apply to any footballer really.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 9:59pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Newcastle fans are up there with the most deluded in the whole of England, a club that haven't won a trophy since the 1960s (a now defunct competition) carry this myth that they should be competing for the Premier League and being in the Champions League year in, year out.

The same fan base who genuinely think a player being handed 'the famous number 9 shirt' carries a similar weight as that of what a player at Real Madrid or Brazil would carry.

The same fan base who lauded Benitez but are trying to hound Bruce out a job? Despite Bruce having a near identical record as Benitez.

For all of Hendricks faults, he is no worse than countless players who played for Newcastle for the best part of 15 years. 

Edited by Green Devil - 03 Dec 2020 at 10:23pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 10:35pm
Hendrick hiding from the ball Shocked  What an astounding idea! Surely this can't be the same player that has been straight in the thick of the action every minute of his Ireland appearances the last few years?
To be fair to the 'deluded' Newcastle fans, there are plenty of stats in the above column to back up the fact that he contributes next to nothing to any football team
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Newcastle fans are up there with the most deluded in the whole of England, a club that haven't won a trophy since the 1960s (a now defunct competition) carry this myth that they should be competing for the Premier League and being in the Champions League year in, year out.

The same fan base who genuinely think a player being handed 'the famous number 9 shirt' carries a similar weight as that of what a player at Real Madrid or Brazil would carry.

The same fan base who lauded Benitez but are trying to hound Bruce out a job? Despite Bruce having a near identical record as Benitez.

For all of Hendricks faults, he is no worse than countless players who played for Newcastle for the best part of 15 years. 

All of the bit in bold has nothing to do with the legitimate criticism of Hendrick in that article. He's making a fair point. Hendrick does tend to drift out of games. 

That said, I think Hendrick has played better under Kenny in this Nations League than he has in the last few years under MON and Mick. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 10:57pm

LOL

While I'll agree there are a brigade of Newcastle fans who are OTT it's no more than other clubs fans. 

Majority of Newcastle fans actually have a realistic expectations.

In terms of Hendrick even before he moved to Newcastle I always asked what people expect of him?

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

All of the bit in bold has nothing to do with the legitimate criticism of Hendrick in that article. He's making a fair point. Hendrick does tend to drift out of games. 

That said, I think Hendrick has played better under Kenny in this Nations League than he has in the last few years under MON and Mick. 

It's just Green Devil sprouting his usual anti Newcastle propaganda 

🎣

Edited by lassassinblanc - 03 Dec 2020 at 11:05pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 11:36pm

Of course it has, I was making the point that these very fans tend to have unrealistic expectations of the players that the club signs more often than not, knowing full that they're either bang average or cast offs from other clubs.

When Steve Bruce sends out his team with 5 at the back and to literally sit back and defend on the edge of the box to soak up endless amounts of pressure in hope of hitting a side on the counter is a great work to stop your midfielders from drifting out of games is it? What sort of impact are these midfielders supposed to have?

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

It's just Green Devil sprouting his usual anti Newcastle propaganda 

�£

Ah yes that old chestnut, why because I'm stating facts? 

Newcastle are widely seen as having the most deluded fanbase in England, they get slated on a regular basis by various people in the media. A quick glance on the Villa, Everton, Liverpool forums etc will back that up also.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 143>
  Share Topic