You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jason Knight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 59>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 5:48pm
TBH Declan, most (like 95%) of the praise for Coventry and Cullen seems to come from Irish fans and pundits. There's probably a clue in there somewhere.
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 6:00pm
Praise is cheap.
If Coventry, for example, was good enough he'd start appearing in PL squads and getting appearances.
He's not good enough so better he goes out on loan and we will have a better idea of his level and it will also be a better opportunity for him to find his ceiling.

Back to Knight, he has proven he is well capable for the 2nd tier so the next challenge will be to get into a PL squad and then get game-time.  I agree with the poster earlier who said if he has a chance to go, he should go.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 6:20pm
To be fair to Coventry he has been injured for the last while - he may have made it as far as the West Ham bench in the last few weeks had he been fit.

Obviously the loan at Lincoln wasn't helped by the Covid outbreak. He had been getting a reasonable amount of game time there. 

I think it's too early to make a call on him either way, hopefully he can get another loan move so we can see how he goes. Also worth remembering that he is relatively young - he is Under 21 again for us in the next campaign unlike Molumby, O'Shea, Kelleher and so on who are now overage.

It's probably not fair to compare him to Knight who looks like a real standout in terms of potentially transferring up to the Premier League from the Championship off the back of having already played two seasons of first team football by the age of 19. That's extremely rare, although great from our point of view.
Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 8:04pm
Forget about Coventry, he has not been nominated for a Ballon d'or yet so he will never make it
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

TBH Declan, most (like 95%) of the praise for Coventry and Cullen seems to come from Irish fans and pundits. There's probably a clue in there somewhere.

Was referring to praise from people at West Ham 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 8:50pm
Don't really get the comparison with Cullen as they look to be different type of midfielders anyway. 

I think Cullen is going to slot into that holding position like McCarthy and he can cover a lot of ground when he needs to go forward. He looks to be a decent tackler so Cullen will probbaly be more of an asset for us defensively.  Knight is more of an attack minded player who can play out wide and drift into the middle of that attacking midfield 3 in a sort of free role I suppose.

Edited by irishmufc - 04 Jan 2021 at 8:51pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 9:28pm
https://www.youtube.com//JYC3zw9HK4U -  https://www.youtube.com/embed/JYC3zw9HK4U
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 9:40pm
Knight is box-to-box, does plenty of the defensive stuff as well at Derby.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Knight is box-to-box, does plenty of the defensive stuff as well at Derby.

I do think he's going to play in a more advanced position than Cullen though in the Irish set up assuming they're both in the same starting 11. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Del Mullin View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Mullin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 9:47pm
great!!!
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 9:47pm

I agree with you here Muff. The #10 in the modern 433 system (which Kenny prefers) needs to cover more ground than probably any other player. Knight would be a good candidate for that. 
El Puto Amo
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 10:14pm
Knight looks a very good player, best out of all the young lads we have imo.

Very hard not to turn down a move to a premier league club. Nice tidy player, still young but hope he makes it 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:39am
Derby are in serious financial trouble and it looks like they have to sell some of their prized assets. Jason Knight is named among the players they may be forced to sell and at 4 PL teams have interest. West Ham, Palace, Burnley and Newcastle are the teams mentioned. Would love him to move to Leeds as a Leeds fan. Orta supposedly likes Sibley and Leeds are in the market for a centre mid so hopefully he is on their radar too (a far better player than Sibley). The clubs named while all positive moves don't really scream maxing out his technical side.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:01am
don’t think he will be sold. It’s a temporary hole and he is one of their main players and is rated by Rooney 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Derby are in serious financial trouble and it looks like they have to sell some of their prized assets. Jason Knight is named among the players they may be forced to sell and at 4 PL teams have interest. West Ham, Palace, Burnley and Newcastle are the teams mentioned. Would love him to move to Leeds as a Leeds fan. Orta supposedly likes Sibley and Leeds are in the market for a centre mid so hopefully he is on their radar too (a far better player than Sibley). The clubs named while all positive moves don't really scream maxing out his technical side.

That seems to be echoed by most Derby fans about Knight>Sibley but the reality is Sibley is English too so that will very much come into it.

Derby surely not going to be that willing to sell these lads and Rooney surely would have had assurances?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:48am
It's the usual story, Knight has been a lot more important than Sibley for Derby but if they were both sold tomorrow there's a good chance Sibley would cost more and go to a bigger club. Even Derby fans had favoured him in the team ahead of Knight before this season based mainly on the hype around Sibley rather than what Knight had already achieved last season in the first team.

If Derby were smart they would sell Sibley and hold on to Knight for now, he's much more important in terms of their relegation battle.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 12:17pm
Because of Rooney derby and any associated stories are magnified and run for longer in the press, so hard to tell if there £ problems are as bad as reported. There are potential new owners sniffing around so things could change quickly there.

That aside fair play to a Rooney for taking the challenge- he could easily have walked away.

Re Knight: I don’t think a move to a prem club to sit out the season on the periphery would be a good move for him. A mid table prem team with a loan back to Derby would be good if he does indeed transfer. That’s from a Ireland fan perspective of course.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 16 Jan 2021 at 12:17pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 12:48pm
Agreed should certainly stay there until the end of the year and ideally another year after that. He’s playing regularly under Rooney too. 

If he keeps doing his stuff he will get that big move there’s no fear. Reality is if these clubs come in with decent offers it would be hard for Knight to turn them down/the club to turn them down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 59>
  Share Topic