You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jamie McGrath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Not in the match day squad tonight, would the transfer be that far ahead for him not to be included?

As mentioned hes injured, but he wont be going anywhere this window. Hes into the final 6 months of his contract and clubs are negotiating pre contract agreements for him to sign on a free in the summer when he contacts runs out.

Oh right, I thought St Mirren might try to sell him on the cheap in this window to try and get something for him?

Nah the Aberdeen move was the same. Nobody's going to pay a fee for him when they can get him for nothing at the end of the season.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:41pm
Not uncommon in January for a club to agree the pre contract and then pay a small transfer fee afterwards to get the player in right away rather than wait until the summer. Probably less than 100k would do it in this case so not beyond possibility that he moves this month.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:00pm

Not in the match day squad tonight, would the transfer be that far ahead for him not to be included?

As mentioned hes injured, but he wont be going anywhere this window. Hes into the final 6 months of his contract and clubs are negotiating pre contract agreements for him to sign on a free in the summer when he contacts runs out.

Oh right, I thought St Mirren might try to sell him on the cheap in this window to try and get something for him?

Nah the Aberdeen move was the same. Nobody's going to pay a fee for him when they can get him for nothing at the end of the season.

Maybe if Wigan were mired in mid-table but they're scratching and clawing for promotion. They might look at him as a difference maker in that regard.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Injured apparently. Unfortunate timing as the Wigan head scout is reported to have travelled up to watch him tonight.

No injury and sounds more like he didn't want to play with that last comment coming across as a dig by Goodwin.

Quizzed on McGrath’s absence from the 2-0 victory at Tannadice, Goodwin explained: “There’s been a lot of speculation. We are not shying away from anything.

“Jamie did not feel that his head was in the right place for the game tonight.

“If Jamie McGrath is available then Jamie plays. It’s as simple as that. But it’s not about any individual.

“I need boys who are 100 per cent committed to the St Mirren cause.”
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:48pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 7:57pm
Rumoured that Hibs are trying for him again - they almost signed him in the last hour of the summer window but ran out of time to finish the paperwork that time.

Jim Goodwin clearly unhappy with McGrath's agent (and to some extent his dad) on off the ball tonight.

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 Jan 2022 at 8:13pm
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 9:12pm

Rumoured that Hibs are trying for him again - they almost signed him in the last hour of the summer window but ran out of time to finish the paperwork that time.

Jim Goodwin clearly unhappy with McGrath's agent (and to some extent his dad) on off the ball tonight.
The football Da😩
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 3:25pm

Dan McD now reporting this as well, English interest seems to have dried up.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 3:31pm
All the focus has him coming off the boil. Hope to see more of him with Ireland. He looked incredibly composed.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 3:40pm
Fookin Hibs though. Sideways move and few more quid. About it really.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 3:46pm
He'll triple or quadruple his wages and Hibs is a much better shop window than St. Mirren for him with an eye on the future. 

The chance to play at home in a great 20k stadium, train at the Hibs academy etc. will appeal as well, Hibs have easily the best off the field setup in Scotland outside of the Glasgow teams.

£150k plus Alex Gogic going the other way is the reported fee. Gogic is crap so that's a bit of a bargain for Hibs.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 3:56pm
Needs to make hay with the wonga on offer now. 

I think it's a good move in a way. He will be a dead cert to start game in/out rather than a move to Birmingham or similar where he'll no doubt be drowned out by EPL drift wood coming down the leagues.  
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hes been in the shop window for a very long time and also he's been available at an absolute pinch in football terms, so really low risk to any team to take a shot on him... at some point you have to ask if he's actually going to improve the squad with what we have already.

He has improved the squad already.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 4:57pm
I wouldn't be writing him off just because English teams don't really scout St. Mirren. Just take the John McGinn example in that respect. I'm not saying McGrath is anywhere near McGinn levels or ever will be, but McGinn went unnoticed in a similar way at St. Mirren before Hibs picked him up on the cheap.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 6:11pm
Obviously we'd like our players playing at a high as level as possible but to be honest as long as they're playing week in/out and performing in a team that suits their playing ability and in reasonably competitive league then it doesn't really matter a whole lot.

I'd just like to see McGrath get the move sorted and try regain the form he was in last season be it at Hibs, St. Mirren or Aberdeen.

I'd be worse if he went to Birmingham or Wigan and sat on the bench most weekends. Their level of interest speaks volumes of how they'd value his as a squad player at the club. Seems they were only interested in taking him because it was non risk free signing.

Edited by Bandwagon - 30 Jan 2022 at 6:11pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 6:33pm

I agree with all of that @bandwagon but I will say that if our ambition is to qualify for world cups we need to have more quality in the midfield and forward areas.

We haven't qualified for 20 years when we had Roy Keane, Robbie Keane and Duff in the team. 

We have hourihane, hendrick, mcgrath, mcclean, Robinson and more in the squad who are good players in their own right  but are they going to get us qualified for the world Cup? 

We need a couple of players that will be that extra bit of quality, a 20+ million rated player that looks good at Premier league level.

These posts are a bit confusing, it's as if you're talking about a club and not an international squad. I don't think we're in a position to leave McGrath out of the squad and hope for a "20+ million rated" PL player to pop up somewhere? 

You play what you have and McGrath has put in good performances for us regardless who he is playing with.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 8:25pm

I agree with all of that @bandwagon but I will say that if our ambition is to qualify for world cups we need to have more quality in the midfield and forward areas.

We haven't qualified for 20 years when we had Roy Keane, Robbie Keane and Duff in the team. 

We have hourihane, hendrick, mcgrath, mcclean, Robinson and more in the squad who are good players in their own right  but are they going to get us qualified for the world Cup? 

We need a couple of players that will be that extra bit of quality, a 20+ million rated player that looks good at Premier league level.

2 completely different things though.

Those players you mentioned are all average at best that can turn up and put in a shift, if any of them were to sign for Liverpool, City or Chelsea etc.. it would not automatically make any of them a better player as their ability will still be very limited.

Roy Keane, Robbie Keane and Damien Duff all succeeded because they had natural talent. They were highly scouted and clubs fought for their signatures.

If were talking about ambition for players to go onto play for big clubs and qualify for World Cups again then thats all to do with grassroots and working hard to produce those kind of players with improved coaching and resources.

I think we're on the right path in that regard in any case, we're producing a long conveyor belt of talent from u15s up to u21s that are all more technically gifted than the last generation and they are slowly breaking through.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 9:21pm
https://twitter.com/jamesrogersie/status/1488254934546059270

Wigan bound according to James Rogers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>
  Share Topic