Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 397398399400401 460>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The possession based brand of football is working well so far. 1 goal in 5 games from a centre half that most want out of the team

LOL

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I don't really get the calls to drop McClean from the starting line up. I thought he played very well in Slovakia, should've done better with the chance but his crossing was a lot better than it was before. 

Seems to be doing well for his club so he's earned his starting place in the side. I know Connolly has a strong case to start games but I would nearly drop Hourihane for McClean instead especially if we're up against a better side. 

So you'd drop a centre midfielder for a left winger?

Where's the logic in that?

McClean style of play doesn't suit a possession based brand of football which is fairly evident, hence the calls for him to be dropped from the starting 11.

Only If our set up is 3 in the middle, you could put McClean in that LCM position to accommodate Connolly ahead of him. I would give it a go if Hourihane's form is poor. 

McClean in centre mid! That's a good one LOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:33pm

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The possession based brand of football is working well so far. 1 goal in 5 games from a centre half that most want out of the team

LOL

LOL

LOL 

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:36pm

I don't really get the calls to drop McClean from the starting line up. I thought he played very well in Slovakia, should've done better with the chance but his crossing was a lot better than it was before. 

Seems to be doing well for his club so he's earned his starting place in the side. I know Connolly has a strong case to start games but I would nearly drop Hourihane for McClean instead especially if we're up against a better side. 

McClean style of play doesn't suit a possession based brand of football which is fairly evident, hence the calls for him to be dropped from the starting 11.

Only If our set up is 3 in the middle, you could put McClean in that LCM position to accommodate Connolly ahead of him. I would give it a go if Hourihane's form is poor. 

But applying logic here, if Hourihane's form is still poor why would you not play a centre midfielder in that position as opposed to a left winger? 

We have an abundance of players in centre midfield so it wouldn't make much sense.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

McClean in centre mid! That's a good one LOL

I think he could slot in there if you wanted both him and Connolly in the side. He could link up with him. I would give it a try in a less vital match and see how it works. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:41pm
I mean you're entitled to your opinion, perhaps it might work and maybe Kenny will spring one or two positional surprises over the course of his tenure and it might be not be any harm.

I would like to see more of Cullen especially in midfield, I'm also very exciting about Knight's development. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 6:05pm

I mean you're entitled to your opinion, perhaps it might work and maybe Kenny will spring one or two positional surprises over the course of his tenure and it might be not be any harm.

I would like to see more of Cullen especially in midfield, I'm also very exciting about Knight's development. 

It's always important to develop your Knight, I joust hope he isn't being used as a pawn.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 01 Nov 2020 at 6:07pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 7:00pm

Well thanks very much.LOL Very nice of you to grant me that Tongue

Yah I think Cullen is pretty good from what I've seen. I think he's the type that would just slot into that central position of the 3 in midfield and perform well with little or no bedding in period. I think you'd have a good partnership with himself Molumby and whoever else in beside them. 

Knight looks a handy player alright and he's still only 19. He did well against United in a cup game last year but they had him out on the right side of midfield if I remember correctly.  

Edited by irishmufc - 01 Nov 2020 at 7:00pm
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 7:38pm
I don’t get the McClean love in at all. Sure every poster on here and thousands of others would give 100% if they played for us. I’m sure many of them could pass and cross the ball better than him.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Mcclean, odowda, Horgan, Shane Long, Brady, maguire,  they're all poor players but the best we have available. You could argue Whelan could still be selected.

We're 2 years away from potentially seeing a better team come through, with no guarantees of that either.

Mcclean doesn't need to play well for Stoke to be selected for ireland, he just needs to be playing.

This applies to most of the squad. We don’t have the luxury to only pick players on top form.

Any player playing 1st team football for the EPL or championship will be considered for the squad.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 9:52am
Thats pretty much what I meant there Zinedine kilbane, we have throughout thr years selected players from the EPL and Championship. 

At the moment there is barely a squad available thats playing at this level regularly.

At this point its difficult to justify leaving out Knight, Collins, Williams and lenihan from the starting line up when they play week in week out and instead select Shane Long, hourihane, odowda and Brady who are struggling albeit in a higher league.

I appreciate they play in different positions in my example but you get my point.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Mcclean, odowda, Horgan, Shane Long, Brady, maguire,  they're all poor players but the best we have available. You could argue Whelan could still be selected.

We're 2 years away from potentially seeing a better team come through, with no guarantees of that either.

Mcclean doesn't need to play well for Stoke to be selected for ireland, he just needs to be playing.

This applies to most of the squad. We don’t have the luxury to only pick players on top form.

Any player playing 1st team football for the EPL or championship will be considered for the squad.

But that isn't the argument.

The argument is about picking players to start for Ireland by factoring in their club form.

Big difference. 

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 3:27pm

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

But that isn't the argument.

The argument is about picking players to start for Ireland by factoring in their club form.

Big difference. 

But with so many players not playing regular football the manager can’t solely rely on club form. We don’t have that pool of players at top clubs. He will pick the squad based on club form and what he has previously seen in training/Ireland games. 

He knows how he wants to play and what formation. This will be practiced in training. From the training/club form/ previous matches he picks his starting XI. 

It not like in our hay day when we had top players at top clubs that you couldn’t leave out of the starting XI -  Keane, Duff, Irwin etc 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 3:31pm
Randolph as an example isn't playing for his club and won't be dropped.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 3:33pm

Who do you drop him for?
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Who do you drop him for?

His position is an anomaly. Randolph is undroppable at the moment because there's literally no goalkeeper to go in in his place that is even remotely proven.

Will Hourihane be dropped, I wonder? Kenny seems to fancy him. I don't really see it myself. 

Realistically we can't have Hourihane and Hendrick in the same team. Crazy to have 2 players in the team who have a history of going missing. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Who do you drop him for?

Exactly.

There is very little competition for places. The only other keeper playing games is Bazunu.

So if one of the key players are not playing for their respective clubs, Kenny will still play them. Longer term that might change.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 6:44pm
O'Hara is back as a regular starter for Burton, James McKeown remains first choice at Grimsby and Rogers likewise at Kilmarnock, so we do have keepers who are playing but none of them will be dislodging Randolph.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 397398399400401 460>
  Share Topic