You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 408409410411412 460>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 8:58pm
This has been coming for a while. He has been decent for Stoke but not near good enough to justify the premier league wages they've been paying him.

As long as he is reasonable in terms of wage demands I'd say a championship club will pick him up. He obviously comes with baggage though which may put some teams off. No doubt he'll be linked to Celtic but it would be better for all parties if that didn't happen.
Sponsored Links

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Looks as though mccleans future is away from Stoke, reports suggest he's looking for a new team and has been excluded from the Stoke preseason squad.

Likely.to drop down a league to league 1 in my opinion 

L1 are you mad? Hes not dropped to that level or anywhere near it.

He was L1 before with Wigan I think.  So its not so mad maybe 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:00pm
L1? Sorry, but that's nonsense. More likely PL thank L1 in my eyes. But I can think of several championship options immediately. Cardiff an obvious one. Swansea also. Forest, potentially under Hughton? Luton Town. Hull City. I think the list is fairly long of teams that would make a good match.

I wouldn't rule out a Cardiff double deal for Brady and McClean.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:37pm
He's long gone from the Premier League at this stage. No realistic chance that an EPL team comes in for him. That said, I'd be surprised if there isn't a club somewhere in the Championship that would take him on.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:39pm
Cardiff maybe 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:40pm
Derry City
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:43pm
he’s a year left on a good championship contract so can’t see a L1 club being able to afford him and doubt Stoke would want to subsidise his wages. A 2 year deal with a championship team most likely but clubs with the covid hit are trimming squads so lots of competition for those contracts. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

L1? Sorry, but that's nonsense. More likely PL thank L1 in my eyes. But I can think of several championship options immediately. Cardiff an obvious one. Swansea also. Forest, potentially under Hughton? Luton Town. Hull City. I think the list is fairly long of teams that would make a good match.

Premier league is far beyond him if we're being fair, fewer clubs will want the baggage that comes with mcclean. When he's on social media in Germany shirts and Italian shirts before the England games. Fans don't really want that nonsense.

He's also struggling to finish 90mins in games in the championship. He completed 90mins 12 times last year. Was a sub 12 times and not in the squad (due to injury, suspension or just dropped) for 22 games. I would say most games he missed were due to injury but not all of them. Some games he just didn't make the squad.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 10:19pm
Celtic would be the move for Mcclean 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 10:31pm
I suspect a club like Cardiff or Forest would be a realistic spot for him. Will get a Championship move. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Please no 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Possibly, if he wants to get killed.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:27pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Premier league is far beyond him if we're being fair, fewer clubs will want the baggage that comes with mcclean. When he's on social media in Germany shirts and Italian shirts before the England games. Fans don't really want that nonsense.

He's also struggling to finish 90mins in games in the championship. He completed 90mins 12 times last year. Was a sub 12 times and not in the squad (due to injury, suspension or just dropped) for 22 games. I would say most games he missed were due to injury but not all of them. Some games he just didn't make the squad.

Cardiff fans might. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:29pm
McCarthy and Brady are 2 and 3 years younger than McClean respectively and I can't see them getting a PL move. He's still good enough for the Championship, obviously, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could end up at a promotion chasing League One team with money behind them (assuming there is such a team in L1 in this climate).

He was linked with an MLS move 3 or 4 years ago and seemed amenable to it. I could see him going there or going to the A-League if a suitable Championship move isn't on the table.

Cardiff almost seems too obvious.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 12:39am

Looks as though mccleans future is away from Stoke, reports suggest he's looking for a new team and has been excluded from the Stoke preseason squad.

Likely.to drop down a league to league 1 in my opinion 

I wonder has it anything to do with playing Linfield in Belfast over the marching season..
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 11:30am
I'd rather him play 40+ games for a top L1 side than be a bit part Championship player
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

I'd rather him play 40+ games for a top L1 side than be a bit part Championship player

Would probably agree with that, mccleans effectiveness comes from his incredible energy and drive. He can inject urgency into the game with a tackle, a run or a shot on goal and as a result get other players and even fans to get more involved.

He needs to be playing week in week out to maintain that level of fitness. I think he can still deliver at Championship level but might get a bit harder for him as the season progresses.
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 2:39pm
He can barely pass the ball, Celtic try and play attractive football, you saw what happened to Duffy up there, James is just as bad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 408409410411412 460>
  Share Topic