Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 360361362363364 465>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:31pm
Brady clearly isn't 100% match sharp or fit, not setting the world alight against New Zealand is no big deal.

Brady needs minutes on the pitch no matter where they come from or who with.

McClean won't be dropped from the starting 11 while Mick is in charge anyhow.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:31pm
Aaron Connolly will take McClean’s place in the next six month. 
He did well defensively last night but does nothing in attack.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Is McClean the new Whelan? Should we all start slating him now?

To me, this is more like McGeady, who I recall often being reduced to stats and selective argument by people who wished to venerate or chastise him.

JH91 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Exactly. And I'd be interested to know how many of those "possession lost" stats are actually ones where it ended up going out for a corner or a throw for us.

He is a limited footballer but his heart and effort are worth a huge amount. I'd rather have a winger that puts in five bad crosses and one good one but wins it back six times in a match than a winger who puts in a couple of marginally better crosses but is never bothered chasing back. The effort he puts in is an inspiration to the crowd and more importantly to the other players, along with being disheartening to the opposition. Now it may well be that that is better utilised from the bench than from the start but it certainly has an impact that isn't easily measured in a "possession lost" stat. Both are important.

And I actually thought some of his crosses last night were intelligent enough. More than once, he didn't just whip it in in the air, which the Danes were clearly expecting, but tried to pull it back and find a man along the ground. It didn't work but it wasn't aimless.

The one criticism was the roy of the rovers attempt from 30 yards when McGoldrick was in space on the left hand side. Other than that, we got exactly the performance expected from McClean last night.

The problem is I think he puts more pressure on us than he actually relieves.
Hes a great battler, but I'd rather the lazy winger that retains possession and whips in a few decent crosses. 
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:48pm

[/QUOTE]

That's around the average for a winger. Not every cross is going to find its target. Purely basing analysis on stats like that is idiotic. It's for people who want to make themselves appear more knowledgeable than they are. 
[/QUOTE]

It would be nice if the odd cross beat the first man and actually made it to the penalty area though
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Aaron Connolly will take McClean’s place in the next six month. 
He did well defensively last night but does nothing in attack.

Kenny brought McClean through at Derry and has spoken about him on numerous occasions over the years.
He wont be far off SK's starting 11
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:03pm
We may have a few decent players coming through, but there seems to be a belief that Kenny is going to make wholesale changes. That seems unlikely given our playing pool is quite small. For all McClean’s faults, I can’t see Kenny completely removing a player with McClean’s attitude and determination from the squad because of a few statistics on Twitter. He may not start as regularly under him, other factors will be relevant, but I will be amazed if he still isn’t involved.

Lads love dismissing players and saying they need to dropped, the problem is we don’t have outstanding options to bring in.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The play off semi final could be his last cap

Why so?

We might lose, and I can't see Kenny giving him many caps

Kenny brought him through at Derry and described him as potentially the first million pound player from the LOI. In the end £350,000 was enough but that was how highly he rated him. He has gone on to a very decent career and a very decent Ireland career. Kenny will use him initially I reckon before he is phased out. But he will be about the squad under Kenny no question about it and possibly used as an impact sub quite a bit.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:14pm
10/10 for commitment, workrate and passion 
4/10 for technical ability, quality on the ball and positional sense 

Last night was the very best you're going to get out of mcclean.
He's just not going to improve on that, he gave it his all.

Some people think that's enough and some people don't.

Edited by Left foot - 19 Nov 2019 at 2:15pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

We may have a few decent players coming through, but there seems to be a belief that Kenny is going to make wholesale changes. That seems unlikely given our playing pool is quite small. For all McClean’s faults, I can’t see Kenny completely removing a player with McClean’s attitude and determination from the squad because of a few statistics on Twitter. He may not start as regularly under him, other factors will be relevant, but I will be amazed if he still isn’t involved.

Lads love dismissing players and saying they need to dropped, the problem is we don’t have outstanding options to bring in.

Totally correct. Quite frankly, nobody knows what Kenny is likely to do. That includes the approach he takes to Lads like Westwood, Arter, McCarthy, Long who have not been heavily involved in this campaign. Or Robbie Brady for that matter. Or whether he’ll go
For Doherty and/or Coleman. Also, the likes of Duffy, Egan, and Clark are hardly likely to be displaced. The same probably applies to Stevens and possibly McClean, Hendrick and McGoldrick.

I foresee change. Even last night, the team was unrecognisable from the 1-5 defeat. But that doesn’t mean a whole team will be dispatched.

Edited by Het-field - 19 Nov 2019 at 2:18pm
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Totally correct. Quite frankly, nobody knows what Kenny is likely to do. That includes the approach he takes to Lads like Westwood, Arter, McCarthy, Long who have not been heavily involved in this campaign. Or Robbie Brady for that matter. Or whether he’ll go
For Doherty and/or Coleman. Also, the likes of Duffy, Egan, and Clark are hardly likely to be displaced. The same probably applies to Stevens and possibly McClean, Hendrick and McGoldrick.

I foresee change. Even last night, the team was unrecognisable from the 1-5 defeat. But that doesn’t mean a whole team will be dispatched.

Wonder will he call up many LOI players, Byrne prob wont be playing in LOI when he takes over.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Wonder will he call up many LOI players, Byrne prob wont be playing in LOI when he takes over.

I would be very surprised, unless there is someone far too good for that level.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:43pm
I would say there's a decent chance he'll call Michael Duffy up to a squad
We're decent enough..
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:33pm
Love his commitment. Last night his chasing down at the end was selfless and heroic. That said it was all in all an average pefrosmnce, which sadly has been above what he has given otherwise this campaign. Love his passion and think he has a role but it has to be limited to an impact sub when we are ahead and finishing out games. 
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I would say there's a decent chance he'll call Michael Duffy up to a squad

He was the one I was thinking about myself. Difference in quality in his technique for the goal in FAI Cup Final compared to McGoldrick's swing at the ball last night for his chance was night and day
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 12:36pm
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 12:45pm
It seems that every other question to O’Neill is about co-managing the North. And after they played Netherlands and Germany, every other question was about co-managing Stoke.

Surely there must come a point where the north is deemed to be a distraction. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 1:13pm
Only if he views it as a distraction. For all we know, it doesn't bother him in the slightest.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 360361362363364 465>
  Share Topic