You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 460>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 4:22pm
James didn't miss the chance to get back home and vote for Sinn Fein today Big smile
Sponsored Links

max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 10:28pm
Wonder will there be any repercussions for James saying that Austria had a 12th man in his interview directly after the game.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:29am
Originally posted by max max wrote:

Wonder will there be any repercussions for James saying that Austria had a 12th man in his interview directly after the game.

There's nothing wrong with praising the opposition's vocal support.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:41am
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0621/884331-oneill-mcclean/
Thought at the time that it was a stupid thing for McClean to be saying in an after match interview
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 10:23am
The possibility of McClean serving a longer ban than Neil Taylor is ridiculous
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 10:43am
They'll both get a slap on the wrist and a fine I'd say, don't think either of them have ever been in trouble with FIFA before.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Thought at the time that it was a stupid thing for McClean to be saying in an after match interview

It was. It is another shame of football that it is the one sport where it has become acceptable to throw whatever mud you like at the referee, ignoring human error etc. Focussing on the referee is bitter.
KILCRUISE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KILCRUISE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 11:57am
good to see a reaction from them, comments not really bad about referee, let it fire the lads up for the next encounter,

no doubt a slap on the wrist for them and on they go,
"12th man"

Wink
may the road rise to meet you but make sure it does not slap you in the face
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It was. It is another shame of football that it is the one sport where it has become acceptable to throw whatever mud you like at the referee, ignoring human error etc. Focussing on the referee is bitter.

I think it's a shame that football is a sport where you are allowed to gag participants from voicing their opinion, if a player wants to criticise an official then why not, they aren't sacred animals and they should be able to deal with it.

Edited by The O'Shea - 21 Jun 2017 at 12:13pm
We're decent enough..
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:17pm
"Gagging Participants". What hyperbolic nonsense.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:27pm
I think The O'Shea has a point in fairness. Due to punishments like this nowadays we get very little out of players and managers in terms of their true view of a referring performance. 'No comment' is the best approach to take which is quite ridiculous when you think about it.
In any event, both O'Neill and McClean know full well what type of environment we currently operate in and therefore should have conducted themselves a little more appropriately post-game. You would have a certain amount of sympathy however as both individuals are riled up from an intense and high pressure contest and then have a microphone shoved in their faces right after a game in which the referee has made two highly suspect decisions late on.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It wasn't even human error.  He was correct in disallowing the Duffy goal unfortunately.  We may have had a case for one of the penalty shouts (possible foul on Walters) but equally our goal may have been disallowed for pushing too.  All in all I thought the referee had a decent enough game and certainly far better than the referee v Wales.

Either way you can't criticize referees these days I hope they just get a slap on the wrist.   
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 1:49pm
Yeah, it was brainless from Duffy to go charging in at all, never mind arm first. It was a straight battle between Walters and the defender on the goal-line, I would have fancied the worst outcome to be the defender keeping the ball alive in the box and another 50-50.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I think The O'Shea has a point in fairness. Due to punishments like this nowadays we get very little out of players and managers in terms of their true view of a referring performance. 'No comment' is the best approach to take which is quite ridiculous when you think about it.
In any event, both O'Neill and McClean know full well what type of environment we currently operate in and therefore should have conducted themselves a little more appropriately post-game. You would have a certain amount of sympathy however as both individuals are riled up from an intense and high pressure contest and then have a microphone shoved in their faces right after a game in which the referee has made two highly suspect decisions late on.

In other cases we get more than enough of players insinuating and implying that referees are cheats and not to be trusted, which has trickled down to the lowest levels of the game where every decision is allegedly laced with bias and agenda. There is a major difference between noting and accepting human error, and claiming bias and cheating, the latter of which has become all to commonplace in the game. And often, the referee has no right of reply, which allows for unfettered allegations about official motives. Frankly, I think it's pathetic how far football has gone in this regard, and I would much rather genuine attempts at understanding the human error of umpires, rather than encouraging some BS form of open discourse for partisan managers and players. This rant is not about McClean and O'Neill but about the culture that no other sport has engendered.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm
I'd say the Georgian team would really feel sorry for our team and these incidents from a terrible ref. 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 2:46pm
You can't blame a ref when you don't start the game until the 60th min mark. 

My opinion - we rode our luck a bit with the goal. Could have been a push. 

Our goal should have stood but if I was Austrian I would be gutted if it was given against us. 

Blatant pen on Big Jon - no question in my mind. The easiest decision of the 3. All in all this didn't dictate the result, our performance did as much as I want to lambast the ref. 

Mc Clean speaking so soon after whistle - sometimes I question logic. He's our most honest player at the best of times so keep him away from media. He was frustrated and knows that we weren't good enough.

Same way United used to hide Scholes - he was liable to say something - not that he was shy.  

Edited by kearney304 - 21 Jun 2017 at 2:48pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 3:07pm
It would be very harsh indeed if O'Neill gets punished. His words were strong but he didn't accuse the referee of bias, at all. He said he was inconsistent, but there wasn't even an implication of bias in what he said. You are entitled to call a refereeing decision poor, without calling him a cheat or biased. That's what O'Neill did. He shouldn't get punished. They could try and read an implication on bias into the comments ""I personally think it typified the referee’s performance. He let a lot of things go and if that’s the case, then you think, ‘let this go’. If he’s called a foul on Shane Duffy, I can’t see it," as if O'Neill was saying it wasn't let go because he was biased, but that's definitely straining things.

McClean on the other hand did call him a cheat. At this stage, damage limitation is the best option. Accept responsibility, but simply reiterate that he only said what he said after playing 90 minutes, having seen a late goal disallowed (and one that was only marginal), and having had a microphone thrust in his face the second he came off the pitch, when feelings were still raw. That's the way to play that one.
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:33pm
Slap on the wrists is all they will get. Will be shocked if any suspensions are handed out.

Was listening to OTB earlier this evening and they were talking about some Slovakian player who completely went OTT in a post match interview after a team mate being sent off and was punished by the way of a €5k fine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 460>
  Share Topic