You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 246>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Neither james or scales make the bench today! ffs
Is there an Ante -Irish agenda at that club?

Something tells me they'd be a lot less hesitant to throw Scales in if he came from the Norwegian or Polish League for some reason. His appearances in Europe for Shamrock Rovers should show that he's ready for the likes of St. Johnstone.

The depressing thing is how predictable it is. If you want to play for Celtic you need to make sure they pay a few million for you, then they'll be sure to play you. They seem to sign half a dozen punts in the £0 to £500k range every year and most of them never get a fair chance to play (not just the Irish lads). It remains a really poorly run club in terms of their transfer strategy.

Let's be honest, Scales fee was no more than a bit of financial redistribution by the owner anyway. He would have been a £200k signing for any other club.
Sponsored Links

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 3:54pm
I agree but maybe they are both injured?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:18pm
Celtic down to the bare bones and he can’t even get off the bench tonight 

Definitely wasn’t signed by Ange, more of a Desmond signing 

Don’t think he’ll play for Ireland again 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:20pm
No. He’s long done with the Eire
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:25pm
An injury prone midfielder playing for a side whose manager's high intensity training regime seems to be causing injuries right across the squad. And they gave him a four year deal. I'd guess his agent will be negotiating him a nice fat payoff from the contract in a year or two's time.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 11:38am
i see celtic have brought in two new central midfielders. They must really be regretting signing McCarthy up to a 4 year deal now.

I wonder will they look to cut him loose. Needless to say his Ireland career is over. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 11:53am
His main issue from an Ireland perspective is that he can't be relied upon to be available. His main competition Josh Cullen barely misses a minute for club or country never mind missing games.  His international days are behind him unfortunately.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 8:23pm
Is apparently not in Ange's plans and has been offered on loan to Hibs and Hearts this week. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 8:27pm
The slippery slope. 

3 years left on his contract at Celtic.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Is apparently not in Ange's plans and has been offered on loan to Hibs and Hearts this week. 

Ouch if Hibs and Hearts don't want him.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Celtic already in freefall showing total desperation by signing Mccarthy up for 4 years. He will have a few decent games, more anonymous ones, and even more games that he won't feature in because he's on the treatment table. Fair play to him for getting a 4 year deal though, Jeff Hendrick may have been giving the pep talk on that one.

Seriously though, if there was ever a sign that Kenny needs to transition this team, then this is it. Mccarthy has been a passenger for years and now hes dropping down a level. Theres no longer the excuse that hes a Premier League player to justify his selection. 
I admit I was wrong on my assessment of Mccarthy.

He was much worse than I thought he would be.

The fear was that Mcarthy wouldnt be able to combine club and international careers. At the rate he's going he's going to be lucky to have any career at all.

I hope that this isn't lost on Kenny. There's a few lads who are stealing a living at the moment. Mccarthy, Brady, Hourihane, Arter are all players who need be moved on. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 2:39am

Celtic already in freefall showing total desperation by signing Mccarthy up for 4 years. He will have a few decent games, more anonymous ones, and even more games that he won't feature in because he's on the treatment table. Fair play to him for getting a 4 year deal though, Jeff Hendrick may have been giving the pep talk on that one.

Seriously though, if there was ever a sign that Kenny needs to transition this team, then this is it. Mccarthy has been a passenger for years and now hes dropping down a level. Theres no longer the excuse that hes a Premier League player to justify his selection. 
I admit I was wrong on my assessment of Mccarthy.

He was much worse than I thought he would be.

The fear was that Mcarthy wouldnt be able to combine club and international careers. At the rate he's going he's going to be lucky to have any career at all.

I hope that this isn't lost on Kenny. There's a few lads who are stealing a living at the moment. Mccarthy, Brady, Hourihane, Arter are all players who need be moved on. 

Stealing a living. So trying to get back after significant injuries now makes you a thief. Great supporter. 

Edited by Mr Brick - 17 Jan 2022 at 9:53am
BlackKat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 11:06pm
Good cameo off the bench tonight and played well at the weekend too off the bench once again. Maybe he is starting to reignite something.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 5:02pm
Maybe fastracking 15 year olds into playing first team football shouldn't be considered. We will never know if it had any impact but he had a lot of miles on the clock by his early 20s. 

Hopefully can have a few more years of playing ahead of him
It would damage this forums' reputation
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Maybe fastracking 15 year olds into playing first team football shouldn't be considered. We will never know if it had any impact but he had a lot of miles on the clock by his early 20s. 

Hopefully can have a few more years of playing ahead of him

This. 

There are always the exceptions to the rule with freak athletes i.e. Milner but more often than not, those that have burst onto the scene early doors finish up early doors or see a fairly rapid decline in their early 30s. Injuries and attitude, naturally play a part but i often think Rooney, Michael Owen, Theo Walcott, Micah Richards to name a few were victims of being fast tracked.  
AS YOU WERE McGx

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:37pm
Write Jamesie off at your peril!

How we could do with him in the squad at the moment.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 10:15pm
Crazy contract he got LOL Fair play to him 
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 12:37pm
he is not good enough to play at international level now , whether it's fitness etc he would not have the legs for it which is clearly evident from his time at Celtic and his game time since signing , they may well keep him for another year but he will play less next season. 
royal rover
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 246>
  Share Topic