You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 241242243244245 246>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 12:55pm
He’s on £14,000 a week ( he was on £50,000 a week at Crystal Palace ). That works out at £728,000 a year or a total of £2,912,000 over the four years of his contract. Doesn’t beat Harry Arter’s £38,000 a week or around £2 million a year contract with Nottingham Forest, three years with one to run. Harry might also have got a slice of the £5 million transfer fee and a PL promotion bonus despite having played only 14 games for them and none under the current and previous managers. James has started only 6 games for Celtic and clearly isn’t in Ange’s plans. The fact that he came on for the end of Celtic’s last league game along with departees such as Bitton and Rogic suggests he will be moved on. A return to Wigan might be a good option for him. I don’t begrudge our fellow Gaels these lucrative deals in the twilight of their careers, they obviously have excellent agents, but you’d have to wonder at the judgement of those who sanctioned them.
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 1:02pm
Is he gonna walk away from a contract that gets him 14k a week for the next three years. Any other club will surely offer him less money and probably offer a one year contract with an option for a second year if he can stay fit.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Is he gonna walk away from a contract that gets him 14k a week for the next three years. Any other club will surely offer him less money and probably offer a one year contract with an option for a second year if he can stay fit.

He'd be crazy to, will never get that kind of contract elsewhere. The only way I could see him leave permanently is by way of mutual agreement where he'd be compensated. Otherwise he may as well just sit tight and be a bit part player or else go out on a series of loan spells over the next 3 years.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

You'd probably be looking at a situation where Celtic continue to pay half his wages or thereabouts so that he is not out of pocket and is therefore willing to move on. A team might offer say 7k a week to him at a lower level and Celtic would foot the remainder to get rid, that would still save them £350k a year on a player who is not in their plans.

Why they went in for him in the first place when it was clear to almost all at the time that he was no longer up to that level is a mystery though. Seems like a very poor transfer decision again at that club for whatever reason.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 7:08am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

has been offered on loan to Hibs and Hearts this week. 

Complete and utter scheidt at the time
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 7:54am
Fwiw I think he'll stay at the hoops for at least another season, the squad need experienced players more so than ever & he is perfect for 'home grown rota' for the European squad
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 9:40am
Ange simply doesn't fancy him, he didn't bring him in so I can't seem him play much, if at all, and when he has played he hasn't been great.

Same with Scales.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:34pm
https://twitter.com/CelticFC/status/1553746050523045888

not in the matchday squad. is he injured or merely surplus to requirements?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

What do you think? He's been stockpiling Japanese and Australian players the moment he got the job. Bazunu and Collins probably wouldn't get a game there.

He should go to the Championship. He's still good enough to play at that level.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

What do you think? He's been stockpiling Japanese and Australian players the moment he got the job. Bazunu and Collins probably wouldn't get a game there.

i have no clue, i dont support celtic. was curious if anyone knew what was going on with him. did he even feature in pre season?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:00pm
His agent is probably still laughing that they gave him a four year contract.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:08pm
Not high energy enough any more to play in the current Celtic side probably.  Definitely good enough for a Championship side looking for a holding midfielder though.
We're decent enough..
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I don’t see how he benefits with a move back down south a year after moving with family I assume home to Scotland.
He’s never played in the champions league and will get game time through the season with the number of games to be played.

As far a ybig are concerned its sensible to say he won’t feature again. Apologies if  missed the he’s retired from international football story.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:23pm
James should just put his feet up and take the cash for the remaining three years on his contract. £15k a week is it he's reportedly on? His agent is a legend for getting him that deal with his injury record. 

Why should he bother moving away again and dropping down the divisions when his body is no longer up to professional football? Celtic offered him the deal, they can play him or not play him but they'll have to pay him his wages either way. Serves them right for stockpiling players once again.

From an Ireland point of view if he had been able for it he'd have been a handy backup for Cullen for another year or two until others come through. But his isn't physically able for club football, never mind traveling on international duty as well. So probably best to just retire him from international duty, even if he hasn't formally retired from us.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:50pm

James should just put his feet up and take the cash for the remaining three years on his contract. £15k a week is it he's reportedly on? His agent is a legend for getting him that deal with his injury record. 

Why should he bother moving away again and dropping down the divisions when his body is no longer up to professional football? Celtic offered him the deal, they can play him or not play him but they'll have to pay him his wages either way. Serves them right for stockpiling players once again.

From an Ireland point of view if he had been able for it he'd have been a handy backup for Cullen for another year or two until others come through. But his isn't physically able for club football, never mind traveling on international duty as well. So probably best to just retire him from international duty, even if he hasn't formally retired from us.

Spot on YTM.

James won't play for us again. Probably the only Irish player in recent years to have done well out of signing for Celtic. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Spot on YTM.

James won't play for us again. Probably the only Irish player in recent years to have done well out of signing for Celtic. 

There's always been an element of stockpiling players among the Old Firm, and indeed in most leagues where you have 1/2 teams that are vastly superior to the rest.

Doesn't apply to McCarthy for obvious reasons, but I've often felt Celtic/Rangers will sign a player just so the other doesn't even if they aren't particularly impressed by them.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 5:36pm
Yes that has definitely happened down the years. Scott Allan was a recent enough example of it. He started two league games for them in four years at the club.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 12:44pm
James McCarthy reported today to be ready to leave Celtic, expressing disappointment at his treatment under the Ange regime. Several clubs already preparing bids.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 241242243244245 246>
  Share Topic