You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - James McCarthy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


James McCarthy

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242
Author
Message
kevin100 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 01 Jul 2020
Location: Mallow
Status: Online
Points: 1696
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 1:11pm
I suspect McCarthy will be worried about staying fit for Celtic and how could you possibly blame him with his injury record! Personally I would wish him all the best if he retired for this reason! 

If he plays regularly stay fit and wants to chance coming back then you'd bring him into the squad of course!


Edited by kevin100 - 24 Sep 2021 at 1:12pm
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Mr Brick View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Avatar

Joined: 29 Nov 2017
Location: Eileen's Bar
Status: Offline
Points: 995
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

If he continues to start for Celtic over the next 2 weeks and Hendrick fails to start a game for Newcastle (especially with Willock out this weekend), then there is an argument to be made that he should start alongside Cullen vs Azerbaijan. 

50/50 for me, but I would be happy enough to see James re-integrated, although he will be 31 in November, so 33 when the 2024 Euros kick off (Jeff has 14 months on him). If he can put his injury problems behind him at Celtic, then he can still play a role going forward, but it's a big if given his previous struggles. At his best, he is as good if not better than any other midfielder in our squad.
So what? 
Is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Béarla clíste.
Back to Top
John Nice View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2021
Location: Wexford
Status: Offline
Points: 440
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

If he continues to start for Celtic over the next 2 weeks and Hendrick fails to start a game for Newcastle (especially with Willock out this weekend), then there is an argument to be made that he should start alongside Cullen vs Azerbaijan. 

50/50 for me, but I would be happy enough to see James re-integrated, although he will be 31 in November, so 33 when the 2024 Euros kick off (Jeff has 14 months on him). If he can put his injury problems behind him at Celtic, then he can still play a role going forward, but it's a big if given his previous struggles. At his best, he is as good if not better than any other midfielder in our squad.
So what? 

So he has a long history of injury problems, there's every chance that doesn't improve as he gets older - obviously I hope it does. As I said at his best and fully fit he's probably the pick of our midfielders. 
Idah Dream!
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Online
Points: 31350
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I suspect McCarthy will be worried about staying fit for Celtic and how could you possibly blame him with his injury record! Personally I would wish him all the best if he retired for this reason! 

If he plays regularly stay fit and wants to chance coming back then you'd bring him into the squad of course!

I agree with this.

He's nothing to gain by playing for Ireland and will just risk further injury on himself - he's not going to play in a major tournament and we are meant to be going through a rebuilding phase.




     
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Online
Points: 31350
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 4:05pm
Off injured at half time. (Could be precautionary.)

3 games in a week for him is way too ambitious. 
     
Back to Top
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton


Joined: 16 Aug 2019
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 3442
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Off injured at half time. (Could be precautionary.)

3 games in a week for him is way too ambitious. 

A fully fit mccarthy would walk into the ireland team but to give himself any sort of longevity he should just focus on club football going forward.

Same deal with Robbie Brady.
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Online
Points: 31350
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Off injured at half time. (Could be precautionary.)

3 games in a week for him is way too ambitious. 

Just a heavy knock.
     
Back to Top
Bandwagon View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2021
Location: Dublin
Status: Offline
Points: 557
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Off injured at half time. (Could be precautionary.)

3 games in a week for him is way too ambitious. 

A fully fit mccarthy would walk into the ireland team but to give himself any sort of longevity he should just focus on club football going forward.

Same deal with Robbie Brady.


Theres never going to be a fully fit McCarthy. Its time accept that and move on. Celtic were f**king mental to give him a 4 year deal. Chap cant even play 4 games in a row.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.