You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191192 246>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Eamon Numpty Eamon Numpty wrote:

O'Neill has to go.  He has behaved like a little brat this week and caused a player to fall out of favour of his club manager.  On top of that he has caused him injury.

Lets get this dinosaur out of football in this country.

Forgotten to take your meds again?
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sponsored Links

Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:05pm

O'Neill has to go.  He has behaved like a little brat this week and caused a player to fall out of favour of his club manager.  On top of that he has caused him injury.

were a pro-dinosaur country so watch it
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 10:48pm

Any craic TJ?

Say goodbye to Mr. Numpty.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

And he didn't start him btw. Your conjecture is irrelevant and I say again you wouldn't be as forthright if it was done to Davis or Evans.

O'Neill stated himself he couldn't risk McCarthy when he pulled up so how was he in the wrong?
Despite Koeman's express reservations at the time of McCarthy's call-up, Martin obviously felt that JMcC was capable of playing AT LEAST 45 mins, otherwise he wouldn't have selected him in his original starting XI. That much is undeniable.
And the fact that the player couldn't even complete the warm-up, never mind complete the game (or a good part of it) proves that Koeman's reservations were correct.
I really cannot conceive of any other interpretation of what occurred, and for ROI fans to defend Martin even in the face of the facts smacks of "My country, right or wrong" - a stance which I've never espoused, and wouldn't, even if it involved eg Davis or Evans. Rather, I would be extremely disappointed had my international manager risked further the health and fitness of a valuable player whose injury record was already suspect.

Obviously it sickens your hole that a man who captained your team and who you previously had great time for is doing excellent for our team and country so you'll just have to suck it up baby
Martin was a bit of a hero of mine ever since I saw him make his international debut nearly half a century ago.
And I've followed his progress with great interest (and admiration) since he moved into management - I like the guy, in fact, even if I'm not blind to his occasional flaws.
As for taking the ROI job, I hold the same "resentment" towards him as I would have had he eg taken the  England gig i.e. none, since I recognise that he's a professional who must be expected to make the choices which are best for him, his family and his career.

As for his subsequent record with ROI, I wouldn't exactly deem it "excellent", since I genuinely thought (feared actually) that he'd do rather better than he has. I guess I'd rate him "par for the course" (to borrow a golfing term), but I certainly wouldn't have wished on him eg the humilation which befell Stan. I suppose "honourable failure" was what I was hoping for.

Meanwhile, my "hole" is far from "sickened", since given a choice between Martin and Michael to lead NI, I would actually have chosen the former. And I'd have been dead wrong on that score, since whatever you think of Martin's achievement with ROI, I genuinely cannot believe he'd have done half as good a job as Michael has done with the players available to him.

So I'm actually extremely pleased with our lot under "The Real O'Neill", as I'm sure the overwhelming majority of my fellow NI fans are. Thumbs Up

Edited by Territorial - 03 Apr 2017 at 8:58pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 9:07pm
On a lighter note Terry what do you think of James McCarthy's haircut?  Should he keep the no nonsense look or go for the 'Premier League Look' with the snazzy parting that even Shay Given tried?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

On a lighter note Terry what do you think of James McCarthy's haircut?  Should he keep the no nonsense look or go for the 'Premier League Look' with the snazzy parting that even Shay Given tried?

Had to Google whether Shay Given had retired or not.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 11:04pm

On a lighter note Terry what do you think of James McCarthy's haircut?
I greatly admire him for steering a sensible and consistent course between this:

and this:

His mammy can be justifiably proud.

Alternatively, it could just be that being Scottish, he's too tight to go to a proper hairdresser....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I greatly admire him for steering a sensible and consistent course between this:

and this:

Alternatively, it could just be that being Scottish, he's too tight to go to a proper hairdresser....

Only an Irish person would say that about a Scot

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 11:46pm

and this:

Only an Irish person would say that about a Scot
Or a Brit...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 11:49pm
Terry's Chocolate Orange

Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 1:40am
Territorial please grow up, you are obv an old man!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:23pm

And he didn't start him btw. Your conjecture is irrelevant and I say again you wouldn't be as forthright if it was done to Davis or Evans.

O'Neill stated himself he couldn't risk McCarthy when he pulled up so how was he in the wrong?
Despite Koeman's express reservations at the time of McCarthy's call-up, Martin obviously felt that JMcC was capable of playing AT LEAST 45 mins, otherwise he wouldn't have selected him in his original starting XI. That much is undeniable. Fcuk Koeman's reservations. He already burned his bridges and anything he says has to be viewed with suspicion. The two medical teams are in a better place to make a judgment.
And the fact that the player couldn't even complete the warm-up, never mind complete the game (or a good part of it) proves that Koeman's reservations were correct. Is it great being captain hindsight? If O'Neill still insisted on him playing in the match then you'd have a point but as soon as McCarthy said he was feeling it again (despite an improvement the previous day or so) O'Neill didn't take the chance.
I really cannot conceive of any other interpretation of what occurred, and for ROI fans to defend Martin even in the face of the facts smacks of "My country, right or wrong" - a stance which I've never espoused, and wouldn't, even if it involved eg Davis or Evans. Rather, I would be extremely disappointed had my international manager risked further the health and fitness of a valuable player whose injury record was already suspect. O'Neill didn't risk it further as he didn't play McCarthy.

Obviously it sickens your hole that a man who captained your team and who you previously had great time for is doing excellent for our team and country so you'll just have to suck it up baby
Martin was a bit of a hero of mine ever since I saw him make his international debut nearly half a century ago.
And I've followed his progress with great interest (and admiration) since he moved into management - I like the guy, in fact, even if I'm not blind to his occasional flaws. Would one of these flaws be him taking over charge of the dark side? Wink
As for taking the ROI job, I hold the same "resentment" towards him as I would have had he eg taken the  England gig i.e. none, since I recognise that he's a professional who must be expected to make the choices which are best for him, his family and his career.  I really don't believe that a childhood hero of yours took charge of the Republic and that hasn't been a tad bit off putting or annoying to some degree and your below by needlessly comparing him to Michael O'Neill is a bit passive-aggressive. 

As for his subsequent record with ROI, I wouldn't exactly deem it "excellent", since I genuinely thought (feared actually) that he'd do rather better than he has. I guess I'd rate him "par for the course" (to borrow a golfing term), but I certainly wouldn't have wished on him eg the humilation which befell Stan. I suppose "honourable failure" was what I was hoping for. I think more tail in between the legs would've been more of what you were hoping for as it was the Republic he took over and I also think that would bother you more than if he managed England. 

Meanwhile, my "hole" is far from "sickened", since given a choice between Martin and Michael to lead NI, I would actually have chosen the former. And I'd have been dead wrong on that score, since whatever you think of Martin's achievement with ROI, I genuinely cannot believe he'd have done half as good a job as Michael has done with the players available to him. He wouldn't have done at least half a good job as Michael O'Neill?  LOL What about his track record with teams with limited resources? What Michael O'Neill did was unprecedented but Martin would've made N.I. a tough nut to crack in that last qualifying campaign. He would've been at least half as successful as O'Neill was in that last group and N.I. probably would've had a great shot at the playoff spot at least.

So I'm actually extremely pleased with our lot under "The Real O'Neill", as I'm sure the overwhelming majority of my fellow NI fans are. Thumbs Up  Well obviously you would be. Real O'Neill? Really?Embarrassed

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

Territorial please grow up, you are obv an old man!

He's a Unionist so I would'nt hold my breath LOLTongue
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 1:33am

Fcuk Koeman's reservations. He already burned his bridges and anything he says has to be viewed with suspicion. The two medical teams are in a better place to make a judgment.
"Everything he says has to be viewed with suspicion" - which proves my point ('My country right or wrong') exactly. Or is Koeman not capable of being right on occasion?

I mean, he predicted that JMcC would not be fit to play for ROI and he was right. Obviously. Undeniably.

Is it great being captain hindsight?
Two points.

First, your manager is being paid a nice wedge for his foresight. Second, only a fool denies the fact of hindsight.

If O'Neill still insisted on him playing in the match then you'd have a point but as soon as McCarthy said he was feeling it again (despite an improvement the previous day or so) O'Neill didn't take the chance.
"If O'Neill still insisted...".

He couldn't have insisted. The player would have collapsed. And you didn't need foresight or hindsight to appreciate that, just eyesight!

O'Neill didn't risk it further as he didn't play McCarthy.
Of course he didn't risk it further, he had no fcuking choice, the player was obviously banjaxed!

Would one of these flaws be him taking over charge of the dark side? Wink
No. I was thinking more his touchiness, his propensity to get into rows which don't help him and his fondness for extravagant statements (eg declaring in 2006 that "Zlatan Ibrahomovic is the most overrated player on the planet"). Also his attachment to utilitarian football, when a more outgoing approach is sometines required. All that said however, there is no doubt that as a manager, his pluses outweigh his minuses.

I really don't believe that a childhood hero of yours took charge of the Republic and that hasn't been a tad bit off putting or annoying to some degree...
"You really don't believe", eh? I'm afraid there's nothing I can do if you are not prepared to accept what I say at face value.

But to turn it around, did you find eg his accepting the offer from Her Majesty the Queen to become a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire at Buckingham Palace "a tad off putting or annoying to some degree"? Or that he played 64 times for NI when he was qualified to play for ROI?

I think not. So don't imagine that only people from one community in Ireland are capable of making rounded, objective judgements on such matters. (Bryan Hamilton is another of my favourites, irrespective of the fact that he worked for the FAI for a period. And I would gladly accept eg Brian Kerr as a Youth Coach for the IFA too, were the possibility to arise).

P.S. I have been very impressed by the way Martin has avoided getting involved in any North/South controversies. I have also been impressed - though disappointed - by the way he has managed to forebear from slapping, then sacking, that arsehole Roy Keane at some stage. Wink

... and your below by needlessly comparing him to Michael O'Neill is a bit passive-aggressive.
You wanted to know whether I was annoyed by Martin taking the FAI job. To which my reply was that any annoyance I might have felt was dissipated by the fact that we got Michael. So rather than being "needless", it was in fact essential to explaining what I thought about Martin's career choice.

I think more tail in between the legs would've been more of what you were hoping for as it was the Republic he took over and I also think that would bother you more than if he managed England.
You seem to think you know me better than I know myself.

Anyhow, just as "honourable failure" would have been my prescription for ROI, so would it have been had he got the England job.

He wouldn't have done at least half a good job as Michael O'Neill?  LOL What about his track record with teams with limited resources? What Michael O'Neill did was unprecedented but Martin would've made N.I. a tough nut to crack in that last qualifying campaign. He would've been at least half as successful as O'Neill was in that last group and N.I. probably would've had a great shot at the playoff spot at least.
 Well obviously you would be. Rea
"Half", 40%, 60%, whatever....

My point is that much as I admire Martin, I genuinely don't believe that he would have done so outstanding a job as Michael has done.

But I could be wrong and you could be right.

Either way (and at the risk of appearing to "protest too much"), I really don't care.

Real O'Neill? Really?
Yep.

In fact, every time he appears in public, I think he should be introduced by this guy, in a great crescendo of consonant-rolling and alliteration, as
"Michael...    THE REAL DEAL... O'Neill":

It has to start happening sooner or later....Wink

Edited by Territorial - 05 Apr 2017 at 1:44am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 8:56am

Fcuk Koeman's reservations. He already burned his bridges and anything he says has to be viewed with suspicion. The two medical teams are in a better place to make a judgment.
"Everything he says has to be viewed with suspicion" - which proves my point ('My country right or wrong') exactly. Or is Koeman not capable of being right on occasion? No, he like any other club manager has motive in not wanting their players to play. I would listen to Everton's medical staff  and let them liase with the Irish football team's one as I doubt they'd allow pressure from their respective managers to overrule what's best for the player. 

I mean, he predicted that JMcC would not be fit to play for ROI and he was right. Obviously. Undeniably. 

Is it great being captain hindsight?
Two points.

First, your manager is being paid a nice wedge for his foresight. Second, only a fool denies the fact of hindsight. I'm saying it's easy to be wise in hindsight and McCarthy's condition improved before he pulled up again. 

If O'Neill still insisted on him playing in the match then you'd have a point but as soon as McCarthy said he was feeling it again (despite an improvement the previous day or so) O'Neill didn't take the chance.
"If O'Neill still insisted...".

He couldn't have insisted. The player would have collapsed. And you didn't need foresight or hindsight to appreciate that, just eyesight! He didn't insist and he didn't take a chance by not playing McCarthy. Seeing how he does in training when there's a chance he'll play is not putting McCarthy at risk. Do you not think the Irish medical staff wouldn't have been monitoring McCarthy closely.

O'Neill didn't risk it further as he didn't play McCarthy.
Of course he didn't risk it further, he had no fcuking choice, the player was obviously banjaxed! You make it sound like McCarthy's leg fell off LOL . Banjaxed should be reserved for what happened to Coleman, not a player that pulls up in training.

Would one of these flaws be him taking over charge of the dark side? Wink
No. I was thinking more his touchiness, his propensity to get into rows which don't help him and his fondness for extravagant statements (eg declaring in 2006 that "Zlatan Ibrahomovic is the most overrated player on the planet"). Also his attachment to utilitarian football, when a more outgoing approach is sometines required. All that said however, there is no doubt that as a manager, his pluses outweigh his minuses. Fair enough. I did think round that time that Zlatan falttered to deceive against he English clubs in Europe actually. 

I really don't believe that a childhood hero of yours took charge of the Republic and that hasn't been a tad bit off putting or annoying to some degree...
"You really don't believe", eh? I'm afraid there's nothing I can do if you are not prepared to accept what I say at face value. I don't believe that it hasn't slightly tainted O'Neill in your eyes given your passive-aggressive hostility towards our team on here from day 1. 

But to turn it around, did you find eg his accepting the offer from Her Majesty the Queen to become a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire at Buckingham Palace "a tad off putting or annoying to some degree"? Or that he played 64 times for NI when he was qualified to play for ROI? Not bothered about MBE's/OBE's as most sports/celebrity figures from the North don't really seem to nail their colours (wisely) to any particular mast. Playing for N.I. would bother me more as he should've played for his country instead. Wink

I think not. So don't imagine that only people from one community in Ireland are capable of making rounded, objective judgements on such matters. (Bryan Hamilton is another of my favourites, irrespective of the fact that he worked for the FAI for a period. And I would gladly accept eg Brian Kerr as a Youth Coach for the IFA too, were the possibility to arise). You only like Kerr because he gave McGovern his chance with the north Tongue. Joking aside Kerr is excellent and a pretty good pundit too who actually knows his stuff instead of resorting to cliches.

P.S. I have been very impressed by the way Martin has avoided getting involved in any North/South controversies. I have also been impressed - though disappointed - by the way he has managed to forebear from slapping, then sacking, that arsehole Roy Keane at some stage. Wink

... and your below by needlessly comparing him to Michael O'Neill is a bit passive-aggressive.
You wanted to know whether I was annoyed by Martin taking the FAI job. To which my reply was that any annoyance I might have felt was dissipated by the fact that we got Michael. So rather than being "needless", it was in fact essential to explaining what I thought about Martin's career choice. Ah yes essential with the added bonus of sticking the knife inLOL

I think more tail in between the legs would've been more of what you were hoping for as it was the Republic he took over and I also think that would bother you more than if he managed England.
You seem to think you know me better than I know myself.

Anyhow, just as "honourable failure" would have been my prescription for ROI, so would it have been had he got the England job. But there's no doubt you have more antipathy towards to the Republic (players row etc etc )

He wouldn't have done at least half a good job as Michael O'Neill?  LOL What about his track record with teams with limited resources? What Michael O'Neill did was unprecedented but Martin would've made N.I. a tough nut to crack in that last qualifying campaign. He would've been at least half as successful as O'Neill was in that last group and N.I. probably would've had a great shot at the playoff spot at least.
 Well obviously you would be. Rea
"Half", 40%, 60%, whatever....

My point is that much as I admire Martin, I genuinely don't believe that he would have done so outstanding a job as Michael has done.  No, what Michael did was unprecedented and it's 50/50 at best if Martin would've won that last qualifying group. I do think Martin would've done a pretty good job though and probably a better one than Michael in the 2014 WC Campaign.

But I could be wrong and you could be right. I agree with you on this one 

Either way (and at the risk of appearing to "protest too much"), I really don't care.

Real O'Neill? Really?
Yep.

In fact, every time he appears in public, I think he should be introduced by this guy, in a great crescendo of consonant-rolling and alliteration, as
"Michael...    THE REAL DEAL... O'Neill":

It has to start happening sooner or later....Wink

LOL

GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:16pm
Being linked with a move to Newcastle again.
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
darragh90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darragh90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:40pm
Any idea of he will be fit for Austria?
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by darragh90 darragh90 wrote:

Any idea of he will be fit for Austria?
not idea at all but I can't see him being "match fit"
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191192 246>
  Share Topic