You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What other chances as well as these?

There was 2 other crosses whereby the crosses were too deep and he never got near them. I excluded them for those reaons.

Feel like I'm repeating myself here but Byrne set one up on a plate for him (Wales) that he should've done better with.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 14 Dec 2020 at 4:03pm
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

There was 2 other crosses whereby the crosses were too deep and he never got near them. I excluded them for those reaons.

Feel like I'm repeating myself here but Byrne set one up on a plate for him (Wales) that he should've done better with.

I just watched the highlights and there is no footage of this alleged miss.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 4:26pm

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I just watched the highlights and there is no footage of this alleged miss.

Did you not watch the live match?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 4:33pm
I did yeah and I don't recall the miss you are talking about. So I went and re-watched the highlights and I am none the wiser.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 8:09pm
I think Hotlips has his mind made up on Collins and there's no changing it no matter what he does in the next campaign. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 8:27pm
Oddly enough, the game against Preston where he scored a hat-trick is the only game in the last 17 where he's scored from open play.

Subbed off tonight with Luton trailing Brentford.
MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 4:55pm
unaused sub in a 3-2 comeback today. Is he coming back from injury or out of form?
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by MacMathuna MacMathuna wrote:

unaused sub in a 3-2 comeback today. Is he coming back from injury or out of form?

He's been fit all season. He's been dropped due to poor form.
MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:23pm
still has 5 goals more than anyone else on team
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 2:43pm
Gary Goals

He won’t win the ballon d’or this year but he always brings his boots
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 2:51pm
I'd back him to hit a penalty if needed.

Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 2:51pm
He did well I think when he came on! We didn't make full use of himself or Long in the air because Brady and McClean seemed to be playing with a medicine ball every time they attempted to cross.   
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 2:53pm
I like him a lot. He came a bit deep at times but he’s big and aggressive and he stood up the big Serb centre halves a couple of times.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 3:21pm
I like him as an off the bench option
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 3:25pm
Should start ahead of Connolly 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 3:38pm
Probably not the most popular opinion on here given his miss on Saturday but I think Collins is decent enough and has done alright. Apart from the Georgia game where he was completely isolated and looked out of his depth (got no service to be fair) he still gets into the right positions when there's a chance. 

He had a really good effort that hit the side netting similar to one against Bulgaria where the ball came in slightly behind him and he did well to get it near the target. 

Connolly doesn't have the physical strength to play that role. Either Long or Collins has to be starting in with Robinson and or Connolly imo. I would've started Long the other night given his mobility and he could stretch the defence more but Collins who is a journeyman average player for me is a better finisher than Long. One or there other should be picked for the September games as there doesn't seem to be any current alternative for the centre forward role.  

Edited by irishmufc - 29 Mar 2021 at 3:39pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 3:44pm
I think he's done OK without being great. 

My biggest issue is playing football... Collins has been out of the Luton team a lot this season. 

Would be interesting to see how many Luxembourg players and playing week in week out for their respective teams. I suspect nearly all.

We barely have a player playing 90mins anymore. I really feel match sharpness is essential going into these games.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Probably not the most popular opinion on here given his miss on Saturday but I think Collins is decent enough and has done alright. Apart from the Georgia game where he was completely isolated and looked out of his depth (got no service to be fair) he still gets into the right positions when there's a chance. 

He had a really good effort that hit the side netting similar to one against Bulgaria where the ball came in slightly behind him and he did well to get it near the target. 

Connolly doesn't have the physical strength to play that role. Either Long or Collins has to be starting in with Robinson and or Connolly imo. I would've started Long the other night given his mobility and he could stretch the defence more but Collins who is a journeyman average player for me is a better finisher than Long. One or there other should be picked for the September games as there doesn't seem to be any current alternative for the centre forward role.  

Simply put he isn't a flair player who plays for a less than glamourous club. There are people who see Parrott as an answer but through the prism of his parent club and word of mouth. This is difference to Collins who has had some good bursts of scoring form at club level, and in the championship. His selection in 2019 was reminiscent of the way McCarthy used pick players in the 1990s. If you were playing well, you got in the team. One goal, from three good chances was a decent return, and he is one of the few players who can be the target man, and play with the ball to feet. He emerged with credit from the last few days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic