Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Collins has missed a hat load of chances in the last two games he's been involved in for us and, aside from those chances, he was anonymous in general play.

Hat load of chances me hole! LOL

He created half chances for himself through hard work. Idah is nowhere near the standard yet, bring him back in 2/3 years or something. 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 9:46am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Collins has missed a hat load of chances in the last two games he's been involved in for us and, aside from those chances, he was anonymous in general play.

He created half chances for himself through hard work. Idah is nowhere near the standard yet, bring him back in 2/3 years or something. 

For clarification, those of us advocating Collins at 9 recognise that he is very limited but is, as things stand, our best performing attaching player by the mere fact that he plays every week at Championship level and chips in with the odd goal.

exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:35am

He should have had a hat trick against Bulgaria, has had plenty of opportunities to play well at least, none of which he's taken.  He's 30 as well, so he's not going to be improving too much past what he offers at moment.  That he is one of the main contenders for a start up front tells its own story.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:21am
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

For clarification, those of us advocating Collins at 9 recognise that he is very limited but is, as things stand, our best performing attaching player by the mere fact that he plays every week at Championship level and chips in with the odd goal.

The man speaks the truth 

We all wish it wasn’t so but it’s the current reality we are facing.

A lot can happen in the next few months so let’s hope we have more options.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:37am
Some undeserved harsh criticism of Collins on here imo. 

I thought like most he was out of his depth away to Georgia but in fairness he had no service anyway but hopeful punts up to him. 

He did pretty well against Bulgaria I thought and people might point to his chance with the header but he still had a huge Bulgarian defender in front of him. That central defender was tough customer and Collins played well. 

His first goal the other day the way he controlled and chested it down and finished it was very good. Being honest,  I would probably start him over Idah in Belgrade though if Shane long gets sufficient game time, I would probably sway towards Long.

He's a journeyman workhorse but if he's in a decent scoring form, he deserves a decent shot at starting in March.  

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

He should have had a hat trick against Bulgaria, has had plenty of opportunities to play well at least, none of which he's taken.  He's 30 as well, so he's not going to be improving too much past what he offers at moment.  That he is one of the main contenders for a start up front tells its own story.

I don't think he had any hat trick opportunities, he did have a couple of half chances and he did well for both chances, unfortunately he didn't score.

He played a lot better than Idah whose clearly not ready, regardless of age, we can only judge on who is performing and who is not, and not many players are scoring for their clubs.

Collins is just one of the better ones of a bad bunch.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:52am
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

daryl murphy improved quite a bit post 30, in fact many do. bit of a myth you can not get better with age, you will not get faster but most other aspects of your game can get improvement 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 12:01pm
Idah, parrott and I would say Connolly are 2 years away from reaching some potential. 

Collins is playing first team regularly, performances overall have been good and scoring goals from time to time. 

He's by far the best we have. 

Someone mentioned Shane Long but he's practically retired, he's a bench player for Southampton and soon will struggle to make that.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 12:11pm
LOL

Daryl Murphy was playing in the Premier League when he was 22 and spent his entire career after that playing in the PL, Championship or for Celtic. James Collins spent his entire career until he was 28 playing at League One or lower (save for an unsuccessful spell at Hibs).

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 12:16pm

Bad decision making when another player was better placed and snatching at a shot plus a weak header against Wales after being set up on a plate by Byrne. Missed another two or three against Bulgaria. They're chances Shane Long has historically gotten slaughtered for missing TBH without offering half of what he does from open play; Ronan Curtis missed similar chanced and got heavily criticised.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:06pm
 I don't remember Collins missing any significant chances. We don't create chances, anyway.

People like to dismiss him but he deserves an opportunity based on form.

It's worth remembering that Wales were faltering in their group until they put big Kieffer Moore of Wigan up front, an unfashionable player who'd spent his career toiling away in the lower leagues. But, limited as he is, suddenly having a focal point to their attack turned their fortunes around, and they ended up qualifying for the Euros.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:32pm
Collins deserves a chance, he is scoring goals at a good level and looked like our most rounded striker in the last few games, he got a very good hat trick the weeekend and would probably score more goals for a bigger championship team.
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

I don't remember Collins missing any significant chances. We don't create chances, anyway.

It's worth remembering that Wales were faltering in their group until they put big Kieffer Moore of Wigan up front, an unfashionable player who'd spent his career toiling away in the lower leagues. But, limited as he is, suddenly having a focal point to their attack turned their fortunes around, and they ended up qualifying for the Euros.

They had a similar donkey who did well in Euro16
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 3:08pm

Bad decision making when another player was better placed and snatching at a shot plus a weak header against Wales after being set up on a plate by Byrne. Missed another two or three against Bulgaria. They're chances Shane Long has historically gotten slaughtered for missing TBH without offering half of what he does from open play; Ronan Curtis missed similar chanced and got heavily criticised.

They were less than half chances to be fair. 

Could have done better at 1:45 although he had a keeper and 2 defenders to beat.
1:57 - he does very well to get ahead of the defender and get a shot on target. The defender was favorite to win that ball. 

The thing is, he's getting into the correct position to score goals.

I thought he played well in the Bulgaria game. The goals will come.

Edited by horsebox - 14 Dec 2020 at 3:09pm
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 3:45pm
Generous way to describe the first chance. One defender was marking Curtis. The other defender was still backtracking when Collins got the header off. Third defender was still in the process of getting into position on the line when he got the header off. The goalie was on the right goalpost leaving him essentially the whole of the rest of the goal to aim at. Second chance he got a good connection on, didn't get it on target, but it wasn't a great chance TBW. Missed several others as well as these, or in some cases, took a shot on when he didn't have the awareness to see a player better placed.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 3:47pm
What other chances as well as these?

There was 2 other crosses whereby the crosses were too deep and he never got near them. I excluded them for those reaons.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

If we don't create any chances, all the more reason not to play him. Some people think, because he's a big unit, he can do a similar job to Daryl Murphy, Jon Walters or even David McGoldrick. He's a poacher with an average scoring record at Championship level. He's not someone who can unsettle defenders for 90 minutes or get the ball to stick. It's a waste of time playing him on his own up front, just like Idah. Maybe he'd look better in a 2, or with more support basically (like Idah), but the time he started up front with Connolly against Switzerland was probably our worst performance from an attacking perspective in any regard.

Interesting thread with a perspective from a Luton fan here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ybig/comments/dili4z/james_collins/
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 3:55pm
he missed one good header chance in those matches, that was all. all other chances were so so. like i say, not pretty to watch but effective to a point and certainly can not be ruled out as we are now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic