You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James Abankwah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: James Abankwah
    Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 8:47pm
Getting game-time for the Udinese senior team in pre-season.

Longford lad of Ghanian parents.  Just finished his leaving cert and off to Italy!  Right-sided defender who can play centre-back or RWB. Moved to Udinese, where he's joined by Festy, from St Pats.  Has played right through underage for us.

Nice article on him here - seems to have his head on his shoulders:  

Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 9:36pm
Came on for the last 15 min as the right-sided centre-half in a back 3 against Bayer Leverkusen in pre-season.  Nice game to be involved in.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 2:19pm
Never heard much about him last year in the league. Was he one of St Pats star men last year?
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 1:31pm
Made his Udinese debut today coming on in the 86th minute.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 4:03pm
Must be a first. Two Irish players playing in the same game for a top flight contintental team ? (Even if they weren't both on the pitch at the same time) 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 02 Apr 2023 at 4:04pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Must be a first. Two Irish players playing in the same game for a top flight contintental team ? (Even if they weren't both on the pitch at the same time) 

Yup, Tets posted it on Twitter that it's the first time two Irish players played in the same game in Serie A.

Edited by J89 - 02 Apr 2023 at 4:12pm
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 4:17pm
First man from Longford to play in Serie A. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 4:23pm
According to his Wiki:
"Abankwah was born in Waterford,[1] where he lived with his family before moving to Celbridge, then to Lucan before moving to Letterkenny where he began playing football with local side Letterkenny Rovers in 2011.[2][3] He later moved to Longford"

There will be quite a few counties claiming him if he ends up making it at senior level - Waterford, Kildare, Dublin, Donegal and the Longford - quite a nomadic childhood. I suppose Celbridge to Lucan isn't far in fairness, though it is two different counties.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

The last top flight continental game(ie Spain, Italy or Germany) with two Irish players I could find was a la liga game between Osasuna and Sporting Gijon in December 1988 that featured Michael Robinson and Kevin Moran
https://www.bdfutbol.com/en/p/p.php?id=17156

But that's the only site I can find with the lineups

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 02 Apr 2023 at 5:20pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 5:26pm
Up until his brain fart for the 19s against Greece he was comfortably the stand out player. What made it so frustrating. 

Nice to see him get a few minutes and it’s encouraging to see him consistently making the bench for Udinese with an established squad number as well. 

Looking forward to seeing what they do with him in the next 12 months.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 7:03pm
Great to see these lads getting game time. 

We have quite a few Irish lads from the youths up playing in decent leagues outside of Britain. Long may it continue
It would damage this forums' reputation
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

We have quite a few Irish lads from the youths up playing in decent leagues outside of Britain. Long may it continue

Especially when they have taken the plunge. Kerrigan doing his ACL was such a pity as he had hit the ground running. 

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Apr 2023 at 8:18pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Especially when they have taken the plunge. Kerrigan doing his ACL was such a pity as he had hit the ground running. 

I seen hes back in training now, should get back into the team before the seasons out. Como still in with a shout for the payoffs too.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 7:08pm
Starting tonight for Udinese in their last game of the season
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 9:13pm
It is a bit surreal to see someone in the flesh playing in the LOI last year starting a Serie A match against Juventus. Clap
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 9:41pm
Anyone watch the game?

Played 59mins, came off at 0-0 so hopefully that’s promising.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 9:42pm
Went off with an injury sustained during a block. Didn't watch the game but he was given a 7/10 on SofaScore, sounds like a very good debut 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 9:53pm
Was the standard out player in the loi Cup final if my drunken memory serves me right
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic