You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jake O'Brien

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 2:01am
Just seen that they're playing the team currently bottom of Ligue 2 in the Coupe de France semi-finals in a month's time. Great chance to play in a cup final. Can't be many Irish players who've played in the cup final of a country outside the UK & Ireland.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 9:44am
Scales,Collins,O’Shea,Omobamidele and O’Brien. That really should be our CB selection going forward and id also be throwing in Garcia McNulty into this too. Promising LCB who’s making big strides and id say will be playing a step or two up again next season.  

Egan tbf just for his experience is probably the one player you’d have in at the expense of these 5 lads if fit but Chris Wilders comments a few weeks back suggested to me he’s having proper injury issues.

Edited by kevin100 - 07 Mar 2024 at 9:45am
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 9:54am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Scales,Collins,O’Shea,Omobamidele and O’Brien. That really should be our CB selection going forward and id also be throwing in Garcia McNulty into this too. Promising LCB who’s making big strides and id say will be playing a step or two up again next season.  

That's a decent bunch of CBs when they are all playing consistently at club level and have ironed out some youthful consistencies. We definitely suffer from so many of our most talented players being far away from their prime at the moment.

Agreed about Garcia McNulty, personally I'd have him as an LB option now as that is where he is playing in club football and our LB options are very poor right now. 
Godzilla View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 10:13am
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

That's a decent bunch of CBs when they are all playing consistently at club level and have ironed out some youthful consistencies. We definitely suffer from so many of our most talented players being far away from their prime at the moment.

Agreed about Garcia McNulty, personally I'd have him as an LB option now as that is where he is playing in club football and our LB options are very poor right now. 

This is not necessarily true. You can be in your prime at a young age these days.

England have Bellingham (20), Foden (23) and Saka (22) all playing at an incredibly high level. They aren't going to get much better than they are right now.

The old trope used to be that players peaked at 27/28 years old. It's going the other way now. Some of them are becoming senior footballers at 17/18 now. Rooney and Fabregas peaked young.

We lack quality at DM/CM. That's one of our biggest issues at the moment.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 10:20am
It's not so much that I don't think younger players can be influential I'm really the opposite in my views and always pushing for younger players to be given a chance. I do think you need a few slightly more seasoned pros in their prime who are among your best players to make a proper team. Whereas we have very few players over like 25/26 that even get in the squad on merit anymore as we didn't produce many international standard players in that age bracket.

Edited by SC92 - 07 Mar 2024 at 10:21am
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 12:31pm

Of course Garcia McNulty is a decent LB option in a back 4 too. It’s a position we are so light in. Just automatically thinking in terms of 5 at the back. 
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 2:00pm

Of course Garcia McNulty is a decent LB option in a back 4 too. It’s a position we are so light in. Just automatically thinking in terms of 5 at the back. 

I would still go 5 for us for sure too, think we'd get killed in matches with a 4. We are pretty mismatched we have players who can play as RWB; Doherty, Ebosele even Ogbene but not RBs in a four. Whereas on the left we CBs like Garcia MacNulty and Scales who would only suit a 4. I guess at the moment it would be Manning (Who I'm meh about...) in a 5 or a RWB out of position on the left which is our best option.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

This is not necessarily true. You can be in your prime at a young age these days.

England have Bellingham (20), Foden (23) and Saka (22) all playing at an incredibly high level. They aren't going to get much better than they are right now.

The old trope used to be that players peaked at 27/28 years old. It's going the other way now. Some of them are becoming senior footballers at 17/18 now. Rooney and Fabregas peaked young.

Most players still peak between 25-30, particularly defenders and goalkeepers. There are some freakish talents, usually attacking, who break through young and preak in their early to mid 20's, but they are not especially common.
We're decent enough..
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 11:14am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Most players still peak between 25-30, particularly defenders and goalkeepers. There are some freakish talents, usually attacking, who break through young and preak in their early to mid 20's, but they are not especially common.

Foden and Saka have gone to another level this year compared to previous years and Foden in particular hasnt exactly taken off at international level yet. Bellingham is a bit of a freak. 

All these lads are supplemented by experienced players too such as Kane,Maguire,Pickford,Walker,Stones,Henderson all been established in that team for a long time.

Edited by kevin100 - 08 Mar 2024 at 11:15am
Godzilla View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 2:28pm
More Jake O'Brien propaganda for you all.

He played 90 minutes in a 2-0 away win vs Lorient:

Passes - 55/59 (93%)
Long balls - 4/7 (57%)
Clearances - 1
Blocked shots - 1
Dribbled past - 0 times
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 9:41pm
Just after putting Lyon 3-2 up 
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 9:44pm
4 goals and 1 assist so far this season. Not bad for a CB.

I was watching and turned it off at HT when it was 0-1 Lyon looks like I'm missing all the fun. LOL
Seanachie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 10:07pm
Great looping header from a corner. Looks like a serious set-piece option for us. Now Lyon's second-top scorer for the season after Lacazette.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 6:46pm
I wanna see this guy start against Belguim..i hope O'Shea isnt another boring same old same old coach. Get him in and lets see what he can do. No Lukaku so they can all breath a bit easier.
I love beer gardens
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 9:07pm
Lyon 2-0 up in the Coupe de France semi-final with 25 minutes to go. O'Brien starting.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by razzmatazaz razzmatazaz wrote:

Lyon 2-0 up in the Coupe de France semi-final with 25 minutes to go. O'Brien starting.
Yet he couldn't get a few mins in two friendlies. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 9:30pm
3-0 up now with 88 mins gone. PSG and Rennes play tomorrow evening.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by razzmatazaz razzmatazaz wrote:

Yet he couldn't get a few mins in two friendlies. 

Surprised O Shea didn't give him minutes having brought him. Ideal opportunity to stick Collins in midfield for a few mins to make space for him, kill two birds with one stone in terms of trying things....

Edited by rebelbrowser - 03 Apr 2024 at 12:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic