You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Jack The Lad" song from official Italia 90 film
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Jack The Lad" song from official Italia 90 film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yard of Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Jack The Lad" song from official Italia 90 film
    Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 10:02am
I had FIFA's Official Film of 1990 there on the Sky+ and the part about Ireland concentrated on one fan from Dublin, can't remember his name, with a cracking song in the background, a bit like the Horslips, the chorus went "they're waiting on, waiting on, waiting on the line....for Jack the Lad!" .

Does anyone know the song? I'd love to get a copy of it, it's a belting tune. I've searched the internet and downloaded (and dug out) old Italia 90 compilations to no avail so far.
Sponsored Links

Yard of Pace View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yard of Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 5:44am
This is terrible, surely someone here must know it???!

It's easily one of the best Ireland songs I've ever heard.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 5:14am
Never heard of it, can you hum it to me.
Chips don't bounce
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 5:21am
I never heard of it either, but I'm intrigued! Never seen any mention of it either untill now. One of the Oldtimers here must know it I hope.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 5:22am
i saw that movie recently but never remarked on the song  
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
magnumpi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnumpi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 5:36am
Is it as good as all those Dermot Morgan songs?

"Mamma Mia, Mamma Mia, what a beautiful team........."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 5:44am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Yard of Pace Yard of Pace wrote:

I had FIFA's Official Film of 1990 there on the Sky+ and the part about Ireland concentrated on one fan from Dublin, can't remember his name, with a cracking song in the background, a bit like the Horslips, the chorus went "they're waiting on, waiting on, waiting on the line....for Jack the Lad!" .

Does anyone know the song? I'd love to get a copy of it, it's a belting tune. I've searched the internet and downloaded (and dug out) old Italia 90 compilations to no avail so far.
Google is a great thing. Give it a lash Jack.

Edited by ShamtheRam - 28 Jun 2011 at 6:27am
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 6:23am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Google is a great thing. Give it a lash Jack.

Clap
ParkLife View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 7:14am
Is it the Liam Harrison song??
I have a load of the Italia 90 songs on my PC.
anyone remember the Penney's song??
"Packie Bonner, Paul McGrath, Ireland have the best by far..
Whelan, Houghton, Cascarino they're just 3 of Irelands heroes"
Classic....
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 8:35am
Originally posted by ParkLife ParkLife wrote:

Is it the Liam Harrison song??
I have a load of the Italia 90 songs on my PC.
anyone remember the Penney's song??
"Packie Bonner, Paul McGrath, Ireland have the best by far..
Whelan, Houghton, Cascarino they're just 3 of Irelands heroes"
Classic....

Thumbs Up

http://www.ybig.ie/movie-detail.asp?id=5&nid=31

ParkLife View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 9:01am
That link won't open??
what is it?
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 9:07am
Originally posted by ParkLife ParkLife wrote:

That link won't open??
what is it?

Thumbs Up
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yard of Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

I never heard of it either, but I'm intrigued! Never seen any mention of it either untill now. One of the Oldtimers here must know it I hope.

It's a fast-paced,  celtic-rock style tune, with a cracking electric guitar/pipes riff. It's not featured all that prominently in the movie as you've the narrator as well as the action on screen over the top but it's brilliant. I'm fairly certain it mentions Italy in the lyrics so I'm guessing it is actually a World Cup 90 themed song and not just a random song with a Jack in the title! It's a lost gem in my opinion as it'd be great for getting the passion stirring before a match...

If the movie is replayed on ESPN Classic, I'll try and upload the part. I wonder if the chap they feature is still alive? He was a plumber from Dublin, iirc.
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 1:56pm
joe mcdermott is his name

the film is on espn classic now, belting irish tune there
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 1:57pm
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yard of Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 7:19pm
Got hold of the movie on the internet and uploaded that. Amazing song, isn't it???
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 9:15pm

Got hold of the movie on the internet and uploaded that. Amazing song, isn't it???

any luck finding the full song yet?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic