Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Grealish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 276>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:25pm
Grealish could have been our Bale
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Has turned into a cracking player alright, still think he could/should have been capped by us round the end of the 2014 qualifiers or even brought up to MON's first squad.

Would probably have around circa 50 caps by now too.
It’s an awful shame there was a lot of talk around that time.
I wonder how close he came to be being named in our international squad.

He would be a cult hero for us at this stage he would have been so far ahead of any attacking options we had available to us for the last 2 campaigns fans would have loved him.

The biggest missed chance we had on player ever?

I’d argue that Rice is a bigger missed chance in that we had a ready made CDM playing for us and we lost him. We never had Grealish at senior level. Although both would make a serious difference if they were available to us now.
I’d respectfully disagree with you I think Jack is a bigger loss than Rice.
While Your correct in that Rice played senior Grealish was as as Irish as you could get of a lad born in England.
He played plenty of GAA as young lad played for us all the way up was named underage international player of the year he did everything but represent us at senior level.

Don’t get me wrong Rice is a fine player but we are doing a relatively good job of keeping goals out.
It is in attack we are crying out for quality he would have scored and created goals.
And he wins loads of free kicks and we are strong from set pieces.

Territorial mentions he cost Villa points against Spurs in the opening game of the season by giving the ball away deep in his own half, he did and did it again a few more times but he has since learned and it hasn’t happened again.

While we didn’t concede a huge number of goals, I can think of specific ones where Rice would have made a difference. In particular, Schar’s in Dublin. Rice is robust in those situations and is not easily beaten in the tackle. He also is exceedingly good with passes from defensive areas, most notably I saw him making a tackle and making a defence splitting past to Anderson whole on the ground.

If I conceded it would only be to say I think they would compliment each other. But to me, Rice has been the more consistent player and is a modern CDM which is imperative in football.  
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

LOL
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL
Ffs LOLLOLLOL 

Yes, he would have improved our midfield but comparing him to Gareth Bale is rather stretching it. LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:01pm
EIRE LEGEND.  He will always be my favourite player.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:37pm

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Grealish is a much better player than Rice

Rice is a bit of a donkey

Well, they’re different players. Also, there is almost a four year age gap, and Rice has achieved considerably more at his age than Grealish had. Honestly, this has been the season Grealish has come of age.
Yes, Grealish is a special player and has always been a special talent, unlike Rice, who isn't

Rice at best will be a functional player, he has nothing special to recommend him

Grealish was the key player in driving his team to an FA Cup final in 2015, beating Liverpool at Wembley, which is a lot more than Rice has done at that age

Anybody who saw him play for Villa in the latter stages of the 2014/15 season knew he was a special talent 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:55pm

Well, they’re different players. Also, there is almost a four year age gap, and Rice has achieved considerably more at his age than Grealish had. Honestly, this has been the season Grealish has come of age.
Yes, Grealish is a special player and has always been a special talent, unlike Rice, who isn't

Rice at best will be a functional player, he has nothing special to recommend him

Grealish was the key player in driving his team to an FA Cup final in 2015, beating Liverpool at Wembley, which is a lot more than Rice has done at that age

Anybody who saw him play for Villa in the latter stages of the 2014/15 season knew he was a special talent 

Disagree. And beating a 14/15 Liverpool side was no special achievement, before being anonymous with the rest of his Villa teammates in the final. He looked functional at best during 2015/2016 and then spent three seasons in the Championship only looking truly outstanding in the third season. He was the subject of transfer talk, but that’s only talk.

Rice is a superb player, who is now being sucked down a bit by the team he is with.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:16pm
Rice is an inferior Glenn Whelan
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:24pm

Perhaps a sensible response now that Salah penalty has probably relaxed you a bit?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:31pm

Perhaps a sensible response now that Salah penalty has probably relaxed you a bit?
That's exactly what he is

He has the touch of a rapist
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:48pm
Hetfield I think you're allowing your own club loyalties cloud your judgement on Rice a bit tbh. 

From what I've been seen of Rice this season he's been poor enough though he's not the only one in a struggling team. 

I wouldn't bother comparing him with Grealish as they're two different players but one thing is for sure, they're both huge
losses to Ireland and would've arguably been guaranteed starters for the next five years anyway. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:43pm
One of the best players in the league and a player I like a lot - Pep said about Grealish in his interview after the game tonight when talking about the final
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:52pm
hummmmm....having watched villa a bit this season there’s not doubt he’s a talent,but villas whole team is set up around him and it’s like every villa player when they get the ball just want to give it to grealish no matter what position there in.the top teams don’t work like that so it be good to see how he fairs out if he did move on.big fish in a small pond and all that.....
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 7:47am

One of the best players in the league and a player I like a lot - Pep said about Grealish in his interview after the game tonight when talking about the final

Pep also said Fred and Matic are incredible players last night.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:12am

Pep Guardiola is a creep
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 10:29am

I'd rather see him join City than Adama Traore.
Unbelievable footballer, and still think he's better than Maddison (a little debate that was on the ROI section a few weeks ago)
He'll go to the Euros

Come on you are exaggerating.

He's pretty good but he won't stand out as much when he signs for a decent team, don't think he's good enough for a top team like Man City.

That's blinkered thinking because he turned his back on Ireland I think

No it's really not, he has had a good first half of Premier League football and now people are classing him as an unbelievable footballer, that is blinkered.

He would be at a similar level to Zaha.

He's a very different player to Zaha. I'd agree with Sid and the comparison to Gascoigne. Grealish can be massive player for England as he offers something very different to all their other attacking midfielders. 

Lads here who are questioning him, you mustn't be watching much of him over the past 12 months. He played a massive role in getting Villa up to the PL in the 2nd half of last season, and this season he has almost single handedly kept Villa in with a chance of staying up.

England will be making a massive mistake if he isn't starting for them on the summer. Would love to see him go to Liverpool in the summer and play under Klopp. Wouldn't surprise me to see City pay huge money for him though and push Foden back down the pecking order again even with Silvas retirement.

Imo, he should be a certainty in any PL team of the year selections also.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 30 Jan 2020 at 10:32am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 1:08pm

Disagree. And beating a 14/15 Liverpool side was no special achievement, before being anonymous with the rest of his Villa teammates in the final. He looked functional at best during 2015/2016 and then spent three seasons in the Championship only looking truly outstanding in the third season. He was the subject of transfer talk, but that’s only talk.

Rice is a superb player, who is now being sucked down a bit by the team he is with.
How can you say he is being sucked down by the team he is in.
He has a key part in that team is he not part of the reason West Ham are where they are.

Villa are only where they are because of Grealish was it not for him they would probably be bottom of the table.
He had been their main Man for most of the season especially with McGinn gone 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 1:28pm

How can you say he is being sucked down by the team he is in.
He has a key part in that team is he not part of the reason West Ham are where they are.

Villa are only where they are because of Grealish was it not for him they would probably be bottom of the table.
He had been their main Man for most of the season especially with McGinn gone 

Rice is the exact type of player whose limitations become glaringly obvious in knockout international games. He's an athlete with sod all creative ability and ball playing or ball controlling instincts. He's grand for running about a lot and closing down space within a protected framework but when he has to think, he's fecked. He's the prototype British type athlete turned footballer. He's Scott McTominay, Jack Rodwell, Micah Richards, Eric Dier. I said this last year but the very most he could hope to be is a Jordan Henderson type. I love Hendo but even he would admit to not being the most gifted footballer and it's the great coaching of Klopp and to a lesser extent Rodgers and being able to exist within a devastatingly effective framework which has turned him into the player he is. But at international level his weaknesses get cruelly exposed. 

Grealish is the exact type of player who would thrive in the sort of situation that England generally find themselves in at international level, ie. tight, tense knockout games which often go to extra time, and he's the exact sort of player they've lacked for years, a pure ball player with total confidence in his own ability to make a game revolve around him, the sort of ability that only the likes of Xavi and Modric have had in recent years. Rices are ten a penny.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 276>
  Share Topic