Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Grealish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 276>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Grealish will have caps to his name by the end of the season I reckon. His biggest problem is that there is a huge amount of quality young English attacking midfield players coming through. 3 years ago? when Grealish made the choice to switch the pathway to being an England regular seemed far far easier. Now as good as Grealish is, and he is a very good player btw, the standard of competition he faces to get into the first 11 regularly is huge.

Three years ago you had Roy Hodgson in charge of the National Team. The same man who brought Jack Wilshere to Euro 2016 on reputation alone, with Wilshere having played something like 120 minutes of football over the 2015/2016 season. Unless you had a top team on your resume, or were part of Leicester team that won the PL you need not apply. 

Southgate has been much more liberal in his selection policy, an example being Mason Mount selected as a Championship player. I think you have a far better chance under Southgate as a player off the CL radar.

I agree Southgate is willing to cap any player showing form and serious potential. Grealish faces serious competition in the attacking midfield positions for England though than just a few years ago when he made the decision to switch.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 4:21pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Grealish will have caps to his name by the end of the season I reckon. His biggest problem is that there is a huge amount of quality young English attacking midfield players coming through. 3 years ago? when Grealish made the choice to switch the pathway to being an England regular seemed far far easier. Now as good as Grealish is, and he is a very good player btw, the standard of competition he faces to get into the first 11 regularly is huge.

Three years ago you had Roy Hodgson in charge of the National Team. The same man who brought Jack Wilshere to Euro 2016 on reputation alone, with Wilshere having played something like 120 minutes of football over the 2015/2016 season. Unless you had a top team on your resume, or were part of Leicester team that won the PL you need not apply. 

Southgate has been much more liberal in his selection policy, an example being Mason Mount selected as a Championship player. I think you have a far better chance under Southgate as a player off the CL radar.

I agree Southgate is willing to cap any player showing form and serious potential. Grealish faces serious competition in the attacking midfield positions for England though than just a few years ago when he made the decision to switch.

I certainly believe Grealish would be capped under other circumstances. But given his lineage in the pecking order, I’m not surprised he is not getting in. Ditto with Sessegnon, who is in many respects a revolutionary player given his attacking propensities. Southgate would undoubtedly pick him, but he is the type of player that Southgate is not in the market for. This is why the likes of Michael Antonio have been called up.

Honestly, I’d love to have a number of the uncapped and “un-cappable” English players available to us. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 4:26pm
very good player, surprised hes not in the squad. probably will be sooner rather than later.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Grealish is as good as he is going to get though; whereas Mings can only get better.

Is Grealish mature enough to take that sort of opinion?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:02pm
Tonight was his 38th appearance in the PL (open to correction) so a full calendar season and his record reads 2 assists and 1 goal.

His stats in the Championship read something like 15 assists and 14 goals in just under 100 appearances.

He's 24 now, a token English cap might be handed out by Southgate in the next 9 months but he's now under no pressure now to cap him knowing he can't revert back to Ireland.

In truth he's way off making a tournament squad for England.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Grealish is as good as he is going to get though; whereas Mings can only get better.

He can only d.ream
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Tonight was his 38th appearance in the PL (open to correction) so a full calendar season and his record reads 2 assists and 1 goal.

His stats in the Championship read something like 15 assists and 14 goals in just under 100 appearances.

He's 24 now, a token English cap might be handed out by Southgate in the next 9 months but he's now under no pressure now to cap him knowing he can't revert back to Ireland.

38 PL appearances. So that's 5 this season in a totally new team after about 10 signings. A lot of those other appearances were in one of the worst Villa sides in 30 years.

I'd say something if you were quoting such stats at the end of the season where Grealish had totally underperformed. It looks like to me that many on here just want to hammer him over his switch as much as anything. He is clearly a quality player.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:43pm
His final ball and decision making were awful tonight. 

I don’t hate the chap, at least he was honorable enough to not take a senior cap. Just don’t think he’s very good.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:44pm

38 PL appearances. So that's 5 this season in a totally new team after about 10 signings. A lot of those other appearances were in one of the worst Villa sides in 30 years.

I'd say something if you were quoting such stats at the end of the season where Grealish had totally underperformed. It looks like to me that many on here just want to hammer him over his switch as much as anything. He is clearly a quality player.

Read back over the thread and my views since day one have been pretty consistent Thumbs Up

I would be shocked if he managed over 4 or 5 goals and another 4 or 5 assists by the end of the season, a "quality" player should have no problem getting that. 

Edited by Green Devil - 16 Sep 2019 at 10:45pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:46pm
Why do I keep reading people saying he can still switch back to us?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:46pm
I didn't see the game tonight, but he's been decent for Villa in their opening games. Nothing special, but Villa are a massive work in progress. It could take months for them to click really well in an attacking sense.

Grealish was immense in the last 6 months last season, almost carrying Villa up. I think it's mad stuff to say he's way off an English squad also. There is huge competition in those midfield slots with England now for the first time in a long time.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:49pm

Read back over the thread and my views since day one have been pretty consistent Thumbs Up

I would be shocked if he managed over 4 or 5 goals and another 4 or 5 assists by the end of the season, a "quality" player should have no problem getting that. 

I know you're consistent on him, as I'm pretty sure we've argued the merits of Grealish before.

You're quoting just hard goal and assist stats. Grealish will never be a huge goalscorer either way. Also, you are totally dismissing the level of side he's playing in.

Spurs were on the verge of signing him last season. If the likes of Eriksen moved on, and Grealish was now playing with those other Spurs players regularly, his attacking stats would improve hugely would they not? Do you not acknowledge that he's basically played in an awful side in his time playing PL football so far?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Why do I keep reading people saying he can still switch back to us?

Who is saying this LOL I hope it grows legs again.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:54pm
I agree that he’s miles off being an England regular
He could end up with 2 or 3 caps in friendlies at this rate 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:58pm
Ah he's not miles off. It's 12 months since Spurs, one of the best sides in the England, wanted to pay a big fee for him and lads are saying he's miles off. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:59pm
For a player with undoubted natural ability I just think he could and should be doing a lot more, dare I say it McGinn is probably a more important player or at least on a par with Grealish since he joined Villa.

I take your point re Spurs, but would he start in their team with their best 11 available?

I see all the flicks, tricks and ability to beat players but there's very little end product.

How much would you price him at? (just curious for the craic)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:00pm

Ah he's not miles off. It's 12 months since Spurs, one of the best sides in the England, wanted to pay a big fee for him and lads are saying he's miles off. 

United spent £80 million on Harry Maguire, let's not use big fees in arguments. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:05pm
well who’s place is he going to take?
I’d rate James Maddison a better player and he can’t get a look in

Grealish has to kick on soon if he’s to get some proper caps 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 276>
  Share Topic