You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 70717273>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I can't imagine any other Irish player making the pass to Enda that he did. Not to say another player didn't have the ability to, but I don't think another Irish play would have had the courage to make that pass.

He offers a skill set and forward focused mindset that literally no other player has. He should definitely be on the bench next month. Would be neglect on Mick's part to not even have that option. 

The thing is, I feel Mick knows his options, or certainly the options he has made for himself. I’ve been interested reading the reactions to Judge and Hogan. Both have been prominent “options” since McCarthy took over and neither really did themselves huge favours, including Hogan missing the target from a yard out. Ironically, it was another one of McCarthy’s realistic options that tapped home. Notwithstanding, I still feel McCarthy will run with them. Cullen has staked a good claim, but if McCarthy has a good month at Palace, he may also get the nod, as an elder statesman.

This is where Byrne comes in. Having him sit on the bench, without using him makes as much difference as not having him there. But last night he showed talent, as like Cullen will hopefully encourage
McCarthy to best faith in him.
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:45am
listen when he came on to the field he looked a class above any of the players really. always looking forward, making little turns when he receives the ball. that ball to stevens was class, no way any of our players would complete that. the corner, when was the last time one of our players placed it on a head of a defender like that? in fact when was the last time one of our corners cleared the first man? took a shot from outside the box looking to score. i hope he stays with Shams next season and continues his good form and makes as much of an impact as Mick will allow.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:48am

I can't imagine any other Irish player making the pass to Enda that he did. Not to say another player didn't have the ability to, but I don't think another Irish play would have had the courage to make that pass.

He offers a skill set and forward focused mindset that literally no other player has. He should definitely be on the bench next month. Would be neglect on Mick's part to not even have that option. 

Was some pass, but Steven's cross was probably even better, and its not being talked about much.
OohAah... View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:50am
Great to see him play so well last night. But look its a freindly agaisnt bulgaria. Lets see him in a competitive match. Give him a look in at Georgia at some stage and lets see
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:56am

Byrnes cameo couldn't have gone much better for him. He won't have played himself into contention for a starting place but he might have made a case to feature as an impact sub if we are losing and need a creative spark. 
El Puto Amo
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Was some pass, but Steven's cross was probably even better, and its not being talked about much.

Totally agree. But the Byrne pass was so crucial in the passage of play, and it's getting the warranted plaudits as it's type of pass that you just haven't seen in recent times. 

But it's that imagination that unlocks defences. Would be nice to know in the last 20 minutes we have that and a Shane duffy bullet as options.
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:16am
Byrne has absolutely put his hand up. If we are chasing a winner over in Tbilisi he'd be a great man to spring from the bench totbry and open up the defence. 
Touts Out!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Byrne has absolutely put his hand up. If we are chasing a winner over in Tbilisi he'd be a great man to spring from the bench totbry and open up the defence. 

My concern with this is that a draw is now probably perceived to be not a terrible result in Georgia. There definitely will be an element of playing it safe in Tbilisi if it is level with 15 minutes to go.

I'm not saying it is wrong or right but if Mick takes off Whelan for Byrne with 15 to go and he gives it away and we lose 1-0, Mick is going to be blamed more than Byrne, and a defeat there could totally scupper our chances of qualification.

It is arguably no longer a must win game; it is far closer to a must-not-lose game. Once we get a point there, we will definitely have something to play for against Denmark and there's no doubt Mick will be aware of that and won't want to jeopardise it.
doherty View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:42pm
anyone in the irish camp now perceiving a draw in tbilisi a decent result should be shown the door. we have to win this game simple.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

My concern with this is that a draw is now probably perceived to be not a terrible result in Georgia. There definitely will be an element of playing it safe in Tbilisi if it is level with 15 minutes to go.

I'm not saying it is wrong or right but if Mick takes off Whelan for Byrne with 15 to go and he gives it away and we lose 1-0, Mick is going to be blamed more than Byrne, and a defeat there could totally scupper our chances of qualification.

It is arguably no longer a must win game; it is far closer to a must-not-lose game. Once we get a point there, we will definitely have something to play for against Denmark and there's no doubt Mick will be aware of that and won't want to jeopardise it.

I don't think we'll be seeing Byrne brought on if it's a 0-0 situation. If anything, Mick would be looking to shore things up. Can only see him being brought on if we are chasing a goal.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:06pm
If we draw in Georgia and beat Denmark at home then, barring every other result in the group going against us, we will qualify for the Euros.

The only thing is that those results could go against us (Denmark being Switzerland, Switzerland beating us more heavily, and Switzerland settling for a draw at home to Georgia on the last day knowing they only need a draw to qualify). However, that isn't particularly likely and it doesn't make a draw away to Georgia an awful result.

At the very least, it is not the awful result it was before the Danes dropped points there.
culliano View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote culliano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Lads, he won't get another move. He's destined to stay in the Eircom league. 

Attitude is sh*te and doesn't have the ability. Good cameo tonight. Rovers level standard. 

We will never bring on a pub league player in a competitive competition and that's just the harsh truth. 

More chance of seeing a few 21s.
Your a gobsh*te,could easily get a move away and could easily be the first player to go for €1m,but he doesn't want to hes enjoying his football and it shows his attitude is spot on since,hopefully shows other young irish footballers sitting on the bench across the pond coming home  isn't as bad as people make out which in turn improves our league 
FunkyMonkey View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkyMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:08pm
Anyone with eyes can see this lads got a touch of class about him. 

Just like when Wez was playing in the League of Ireland he could easily have played for Ireland if his talent was acknowledged and a manager with some balls let him play. 

Jack should be in the Ireland squad as we don't have anyone close to his football brain and skills. 

I would understand if Mick didn't start him every game because we don't usually have lots of possession and we are usually chasing the ball. But he is type of player that you could build a team around . i believe he is that good. 

Hope he keeps his head down and works his arse of and makes it so Mick has to put him in the team .
doherty View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by FunkyMonkey FunkyMonkey wrote:

Anyone with eyes can see this lads got a touch of class about him. 

Just like when Wez was playing in the League of Ireland he could easily have played for Ireland if his talent was acknowledged and a manager with some balls let him play. 

Jack should be in the Ireland squad as we don't have anyone close to his football brain and skills. 

I would understand if Mick didn't start him every game because we don't usually have lots of possession and we are usually chasing the ball. But he is type of player that you could build a team around . i believe he is that good. 

Hope he keeps his head down and works his arse of and makes it so Mick has to put him in the team .

ya fully agree. just hope the old hes not playing in england so hes not good enough bullsh1t does not go against him. we need to get over this mindset that its england or nothing.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:48pm
We play teams the level of Bulgaria all the time and we struggle to break them down. Having Jack in and around the squad for those types of games where we need a goal makes sense, and anyone who says otherwise is a gobsh*te

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:39pm
I can see him playing the last 25 v Georgia.
Those who push for excellence will inevitably offend those who accept mediocrity.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Babbs a lot will depend on the score line at that stage as to what way Mick will go I would think, certainly if we were in the unfortunate position of chasing a goal it would be the thing to do
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

I hope not as I feel we will be chasing the game in such a scenario!
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 70717273>
  Share Topic