You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 138>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 9:33pm
Literally 2 mins after coming off Oldham concede a 2 goal lead to draw 2 all. Still 5 mins to go. And Eoin Doyle just scores to make it 3-2.

Edited by dubstep - 12 Sep 2017 at 9:34pm
Sponsored Links

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 9:34pm
Done well for 2nd goal. Taken off at 0-2. Within 5 minutes it's 2-2.
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:08pm
Anything to s Byrne ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:14pm
Gas how the people who complain about the way we play are mostly the same ppl who take the piss out of Jack.

He's a technically proficient footballer and the last thing any Irish fan should be doing is mocking him. There's been some very harsh posts about him.

f**k it, we should go back to scratch and build a team around Jack next year. Complete overhaul of our style of play. Get your man Manning in from Galway and Liam Kelly, we'd be league one/championship standard but at least if we played football it would be better than what we've seen lately. Get Declan Rice in as well, and keep on some of the better footballers we already have like Brady.

Could do worse than try that sort of set up out for the slew of friendlies in the quarter-full aviva in November and next year.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:01pm
I don't think anyone is taking the piss out of Jack, as regards meself, I was taking the piss out of the over hyped reaction to, well, his entire career so far. Which basically amounts to a statement by Patrick Viera likening him to Roy Keane some years back, and a half decent season with a goal or 2 and a few assists for a side who were relegated in Holland. For some on here, that is enough to suggest he should be starting for Ireland. Personally, I wouldn't think so. 

The chap clearly has talent, but the past year has been a wasted one, and the succession of managers who didn't play him would indicate an attitude problem somewhere, anyone can fall out with one manager, falling out with 2 or 3 in the one year isn't a great sign. Hopefully, for his sake & the Irish team, that is behind him & he moves onwards & upwards from here, but the reality is it will take more than a goal or 2 in League 1 to be near the frame for an Irish call up. 

I made the Towell comparison as so many who would advocate Jack as the next big thing were so quick to write off a player who has lost a season to injury/poor form. They aren't anything alike as players, and as Valo pointed out, Towell being older, and restarting at a low base has far less of a chance of ever playing for us, he simply might not ever be good enough, but just find it odd on here why some lads are deemed the next big thing with little to back it up, while another lad can be written off far too quickly without anyone seeing what he can or can't do first. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:32am
My post wasn't aimed at you. Although I take issue with your Towell/Byrne post as I think there is actually a pretty clear reason why people get more excited about the latter rather than the former despite similar performances in League 1: potential. That's the key thing. He's 21 and the potential due to that is what intrigues people.

And it's why I think your post is contradictory, given that in the Maguire thread you yourself go on to compare the excellent form of Maguire and Murphy in the Championship, yet see no issue with getting excited about the former, because of, ultimately, potential. Potential to offer something, potential that doesn't exist in Murphy's case cos we've seen what he offers.

And as for Byrne needing more than a couple of League one goals to get near the Irish set-up, I think, and am open to correction, O'Dowda got in at a lower level.

Edited by rolo - 13 Sep 2017 at 2:32am
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 11:16pm
Agreed on potential, but I suppose some people's definition of potential is different. It would take more than a comment from Patrick Viera or a half decent season in Holland to convince me anyway. Don't recall many people raving about John O'Shea or Darron Gibson saying they should be starting for Ireland while playing for Antwerp at the time, even though that would have been pre-forum & pre social media days. 

I don't normally make claims about lads I think might play for Ireland, I think the only thread I ever started on a non capped player was Richard Keogh in his Coventry days, and he did go on to win a respectable few caps for us afterwards, but Maguire I have an interest in as I watched him for an entire season in the RSC and thought back then that he had serious potential, you don't get to see many future internationals in LOI Div 1, and he did stand out by a mile at that point. 

I'm not getting excited about him either, if Long & Walters were banging them in from all angles and not sitting on the bench for their clubs, and Murphy could recreate his club form for Ireland (though there is a valid argument to be made at this point that he should be the one given the majority of the minutes on the pitch, not Long) and they were all in their mid 20's , Maguire wouldn't really be a realistic option, but as we all know, that is far from the case right now. 

Tis funny you mention O'Dowda, he came into the squad after decent back to back performances V Italy in the U21's, the home game of which was in the RSC. MON was there to watch.................Jack Byrne, who did absolutely nothing, but O'Dowda was the one that impressed. Was at that game meself, and probably much the same as MON, I went away wondering what all this fuss & hype was about Byrne. Has to be said though, after a promising start, it is hard to justify O'Dowda's continued inclusion in the squad, as he has mainly been a sub for Bristol the last year, though started their last 2 or 3 games.

Byrne could still make it to a squad maybe next year if his form continues, but I would still think it unlikely at this point. 

dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 6:37pm
Got Motm on Oldhams Twitter page today again.
viduka9aus View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viduka9aus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 3:25pm
Plenty of potential, hopefully he can kick on in League one
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:06pm
Another assist today, albeit Oldham lose out 5-1.
We're decent enough..
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:35pm
John Sheridan mutually consented to leave Oldham today, 7 losses in 9. As regards Jack Byrne, who knows, hopefully the new manager will have a bit of faith in him, but really, he will have to hope Oldham improve rapidly or impress to a level that a better club comes in for him. When's his Wigan contract up anyway ?

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:56pm
Sure Sheridan will probably be managing Oldham again next month.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 12:01am
Unfortunate career for young Jack. Could very easily end up dropping down the divisions into L2 or an SPL club might come in for him. 

He had the talent as a teenager to be the next Benat or Iturraspe for the ROI as well!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 12:18am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Sure Sheridan will probably be managing Oldham again next month.

True enough
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 12:42am
Originally posted by TioPepe TioPepe wrote:

Unfortunate career for young Jack. Could very easily end up dropping down the divisions into L2 or an SPL club might come in for him. 

He had the talent as a teenager to be the next Benat or Iturraspe for the ROI as well!

He has been class at Oldham since he signed. Fans love him. Surprised at the sacking Oldham were picking up a couple of good results before losing to 2 of the most in form teams in the league.
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:48pm
Been outstanding again tonight Oldham beat peterborough 3-1 even though they were down to 10 men . Standing ovation for Jack when he came off at the end.
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:55pm
Supposedly too good for league 1 going on reports.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:15pm
Did you watch the game or what are you basing your thoughts on the game.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 138>
  Share Topic