You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 133134135136137 138>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

He’s played 3 games in what 12/18 months? And now it’s highly likely he’ll be back in the international set up. I think a few need to calm down 

I'm quite calm thanks.

O'Dowda got injured in December 2020, was pretty much out of action until October 2021, played 4 or 5 games & got straight back into the Ireland squad in November.

Christie was included in the October squad (and played 45' vs Qatar) while totally frozen out at Forest and hadn't played a minute since May (~5 months)

Hell, Hendrick was a starting player for us in the Autumn games when he'd barely kicked a ball for Newcastle since February!

Byrne has 7 or 8 games to get up to speed, and if he does then yes, I think it's likely he's included, especially with McGrath & O'Dowda out injured.

Harry Arter was making squads until very recently despite barely kicking a ball over the last several years.
Sponsored Links

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

He’s played 3 games in what 12/18 months? And now it’s highly likely he’ll be back in the international set up. I think a few need to calm down 

I'm quite calm thanks.

O'Dowda got injured in December 2020, was pretty much out of action until October 2021, played 4 or 5 games & got straight back into the Ireland squad in November.

Christie was included in the October squad (and played 45' vs Qatar) while totally frozen out at Forest and hadn't played a minute since May (~5 months)

Hell, Hendrick was a starting player for us in the Autumn games when he'd barely kicked a ball for Newcastle since February!

Byrne has 7 or 8 games to get up to speed, and if he does then yes, I think it's likely he's included, especially with McGrath & O'Dowda out injured.

Harry Arter was making squads until very recently despite barely kicking a ball over the last several years.
Arry was a good character in the dressing room though.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 10:58am
I think the only way Byrne gets a call up into the next squad is if it is some sort of extended squad or more so if there are some last minute injures in the attacking midfield areas since the matches are at home he could be quickly called upon.
Byrne wasn't involved much in the whole 2021 calendar year of games where there was 12 matches played. In that time a lot of players have established themselves as an option in the one or two attacking positions just behind the striker/s.
McGrath, Ogbene, Robinson, Connolly, Knight, Brown, Parrott and Horgan have all played during 2021 in the positions Byrne would be playing. You could argue that Keane could play there too as he plays behind the striker a lot for Wigan. Then there is other uncapped candidates like Ronan who has been name checked by Kenny as an option to be called to the squad, maybe Scully as some say he has deserved a call from his previous form but now not so much. 
I think Byrne is fairly down the peaking order ATM, he has barely played a hand full of matches in the LOI yet (even tho he was very good in his last match but he was just ok in the others). I understand the argument that he offers is something different but still he is still in competition with all the players above for the same position in the team. Not all of the players above might not even make the next squad either. 
Plus out of the players above, most of them can play more than one position/role in the team or even change their position/role during a match, where Byrne is more a specialized attacking midfielder. For example you wouldn't be able to get Byrne to change his position to a striker (like Robinson, Connolly or Parrott could) or a wing back (like Ogbene, Browne or even Knight). Even asking Byrne to fill in a deeper central midfield role would you be confident with him there? Maybe against a lesser/minnow team but you would be more confident with Browne, McGrath or Knight filling in there as they have a more all round game.

Edited by darman28 - 02 Mar 2022 at 11:01am
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 11:56am
he should be in the squad as an option. he has such class on the ball no one else comes close to his vision
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 1:15pm
Legs have gone I reckon
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 3:42pm
Heard him on OTB after the Drogheda game on Monday and he said Kenny gave him a buzz last week just saying well done getting back fit and playing etc.. didn't give much more away than that but said it gave him a bit of a lift.

Probably told him he'll be in his thoughts again if he performs to the level he was before the Cyprus move or something along those lines.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 4:58pm
In his brief games for Ireland I thought he played well. But then he wouldn't get a sniff therafter. He probably should just keep at his club football and hope for the best with Ireland. Currently there are a lot of midfield players ahead of him.
It would damage this forums' reputation
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 9:41pm
Starting to get back to his best. Was excellent the second half there
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Starting to get back to his best. Was excellent the second half there

The quality of his delivery was top class, every ball was inch perfect.
Tweetering View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweetering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 2:42pm
I do hope he gets another chance at maybe League 1/Championship level

I understand his weak point is pace, he would probably do ok in some continental leagues.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 1:16pm
Linked with a move to the MLS today. Could be a good move for him I think.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 2:21pm
Forgot all about that lad
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

I imagine that'e because he doesn't play for Rangers!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 3:11pm
Wonder how much was the offer, assume it was in the 100-200 thousand range. It says the MLS window closes the 24th so i assume if they are keen they will come back with an improved offer. be a shame to see him gone from the league but i would also like to see him play at a higher level too.
I love beer gardens
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Wonder how much was the offer, assume it was in the 100-200 thousand range. It says the MLS window closes the 24th so i assume if they are keen they will come back with an improved offer. be a shame to see him gone from the league but i would also like to see him play at a higher level too.

Rovers probably don't need the money, and stand to make more off a possible European run that Jack will play an integral role in. 

Can only see this happening if Jack wants it and pushes for it. He's on record that he loves the club and is settled back here.

In regards to playing at a higher level, whilst that is true of the MLS vs The LOI, I think Kenny is more likely to pick him if he stays local. Look at Conor Ronan - the forgotten man since he moved to Colorado
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 4:11pm

Rovers probably don't need the money, and stand to make more off a possible European run that Jack will play an integral role in. 

Can only see this happening if Jack wants it and pushes for it. He's on record that he loves the club and is settled back here.

In regards to playing at a higher level, whilst that is true of the MLS vs The LOI, I think Kenny is more likely to pick him if he stays local. Look at Conor Ronan - the forgotten man since he moved to Colorado
Ronan's been called up more recently than Byrne, he was named by Kenny in the squad to face Belgium and Lithuania a year ago, although he failed to make the match day squad both times.
It's been more than two years since Byrne's last appearance against Bulgaria in November 2020.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 4:25pm

He's out of contact at the end of the season so Rovers hand may be forced.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

I imagine that'e because he doesn't play for Rangers!

Forgot about LOIs arguably best footballer and most high profile... Some Irish football fan🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 133134135136137 138>
  Share Topic