You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 138>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Loads ahead of him now. Big ask. 

There's definitely loads ahead of him but he doesn't have many if any competition for the type of player he is. 

I do agree that he will have to up his work rate off the Ball to get into this specific Kenny team, otherwise he would just be forever an impact sub brought on in specific scenarios.

Having said all that, Kenny has been so willing to change formation, style and players over the last 12-months that I wouldn't say anything is set in stone if a player can come along and shift his thinking, even in certain games.

Also, Jack isn't naïve to what's needed of him. He doesn't need a football forum to advise him, I'm sure he's getting it from the horses mouth and has had plenty of conversations with Kenny about what's required of him, not only to potentially make the starting 11, but get back into the squad.

Regularly in European competition...............He's played 6 games in Europe...........
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 4:30pm
Elbouzedi went back to Ireland after failed spells in England and Scotland, then returned to the UK for another couple of underwhelming spells, and now he's flying it at AIK.

Carey and Cullen are other examples of players who've enjoyed a new lease outside the UK and Ireland.

Byrne was right to choose the continental option again, but APOEL was just the wrong one; attractive financially but too unstable.

He wasn't helped by an injury at the worst possible time allied with an inconvenient managerial change.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Loads ahead of him now. Big ask. 

There's definitely loads ahead of him but he doesn't have many if any competition for the type of player he is. 

I do agree that he will have to up his work rate off the Ball to get into this specific Kenny team, otherwise he would just be forever an impact sub brought on in specific scenarios.

Having said all that, Kenny has been so willing to change formation, style and players over the last 12-months that I wouldn't say anything is set in stone if a player can come along and shift his thinking, even in certain games.

Also, Jack isn't naïve to what's needed of him. He doesn't need a football forum to advise him, I'm sure he's getting it from the horses mouth and has had plenty of conversations with Kenny about what's required of him, not only to potentially make the starting 11, but get back into the squad.

Regularly in European competition...............He's played 6 games in Europe...........

What?
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 6:44pm
I'd actually agree in saying that Jack is one of our most talented midfielders in terms of ability, but at this stage I don't think he will ever be a serious option for us. I think he will go on to get more caps but as long as he is playing in the LOI he isn't going to be a starting international player and you can have no complaints about that.

He has had bad luck one too many times for it to be all just down to bad luck, there must be something about him that managers dislike be it his attitude, temperment, ability, etc. But he is easily the best LOI player I've ever seen and has more ability that most Irish midfielders I can think of in the past ten years. 
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

once byrne gets back fit and playing again he'll be back into this team without a question of a doubt. he is the most natural and culturally gifted midfielder and this team is crying out for him. imagine having him in the midfield of the park pulling the strings and pinging through balls for Ogbene, Parrott, Idah. 

Is this a joke? Why has he gone back to Shamrock Rovers if he’s so good? Knight is a far better player.
hardly jack's fault that Apoel imploded and he wasnt even given a chance.

also it doesnt have to be Jack or Knight. Easily room for both in this team.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 4:29am

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

once byrne gets back fit and playing again he'll be back into this team without a question of a doubt. he is the most natural and culturally gifted midfielder and this team is crying out for him. imagine having him in the midfield of the park pulling the strings and pinging through balls for Ogbene, Parrott, Idah. 

Is this a joke? Why has he gone back to Shamrock Rovers if he’s so good? Knight is a far better player.
hardly jack's fault that Apoel imploded and he wasnt even given a chance.

also it doesnt have to be Jack or Knight. Easily room for both in this team.

For all the plaudits his agent (Graham Barrett isn't it?) got for helping Byrne turn his career around at Rovers, I think he was been badly advised to move to Apoel. 

It's easy to say in hindsight, but Byrne thrived under some stability at Rovers. What he didn't need was moving to some basket-case of a club who change managers every 3 months. This was obvious from his time at Oldham, Wigan, etc.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:15am
He's not played since September, he won't play until the end of February now, he prefers to twiddle his thumbs and terminate contracts as opposed to staying and fighting for his place, but he's still one of our best options.......Jesus wept, will people have some cop on.  

By that logic, Duffy and Mandroiu should be regular starters for Ireland!  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 4:35pm
Has officially re-signed for Rovers.

Edited by Banjaxed - 18 Nov 2021 at 4:36pm
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 5:06pm
Good to have quality players like him in the league Clap
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Los Aros Los Aros wrote:

Aye no harm, but I suppose that means he doesn't play a game now until when, February?

I'd say it will be a long road back for him in to the Irish set up regardless of how much Kenny likes him, given his lack of football for nearly a year at that stage. Given the amount of young talent coming through across the water, i think it's unlikely that any LoI player will be able to nail down a place in the senior men's squad going forward.
Idah Dream!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Aye no harm, but I suppose that means he doesn't play a game now until when, February?

I'd say it will be a long road back for him in to the Irish set up regardless of how much Kenny likes him, given his lack of football for nearly a year at that stage. Given the amount of young talent coming through across the water, i think it's unlikely that any LoI player will be able to nail down a place in the senior men's squad going forward.

He hasn't a hope of getting in now. Cullen, Hendrick, Knight, McGrath, Hourihane, Browne and guys like Kilkenny and Taylor all well ahead of him you would think.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

He hasn't a hope of getting in now. Cullen, Hendrick, Knight, McGrath, Hourihane, Browne and guys like Kilkenny and Taylor all well ahead of him you would think.

His only hope is that he's the most naturally gifted creative midfielder available to us. He has zero competition when it comes to a Hoolahanesque playmaker.

That's said he needs a lot to go his way, coupled with the fact that it's hard to see where he slots into the current Kenny team. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 5:41pm

His only hope is that he's the most naturally gifted creative midfielder available to us. He has zero competition when it comes to a Hoolahanesque playmaker.

That's said he needs a lot to go his way, coupled with the fact that it's hard to see where he slots into the current Kenny team. 

Will Smallbone and Connor Ronan both say hello!
Idah Dream!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 5:48pm

I was just referring to current senior internationals.

Smallbone, he's definitely creative, but I don't see that ability to dictate play and tempo. The playmaker role I'm referring to is someone who goes almost apoplectic when not given the ball. They always seek to be in possession. Will just doesn't have that attribute from what I've seen of him. 

Ronan definitely has it. You're right, he's the most likely comparison. I would like to see some kind of straight up playmaker in the squad even as an option.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:11pm

I was just referring to current senior internationals.

Smallbone, he's definitely creative, but I don't see that ability to dictate play and tempo. The playmaker role I'm referring to is someone who goes almost apoplectic when not given the ball. They always seek to be in possession. Will just doesn't have that attribute from what I've seen of him. 

Ronan definitely has it. You're right, he's the most likely comparison. I would like to see some kind of straight up playmaker in the squad even as an option.

Fair enough, I think you are underestimating Smallbone however.

As for the playmaker role, I cant see Byrne (nor Ronan) being accommodated in the midfield 2 in the current 3-4-2-1 set up, but there's no reason why a creative #10 type cant play as one of the two behind the front man. 

Hendrick's role and performances alongside Cullen have been underestimated imo, his work rate, passing ability and energy to go box to box when required has been a key component in our recent upturn in form imo. Himself and Cullen have formed a very functional partnership. Hopefully Jeff can get himself a move in January, even to a top end Championship side, it would be a big plus if he can start to get regular football again. Who knows, maybe Howe will fancy him between now and January, Shelvey. Longstaff and Hayden are no world beaters. 

In any case, I dont think there's anyone particularly close to displacing Hendrick as the #8 at this point in time. It will be interesting to see if Smallbone can break in to to the Southampton side and where exactly he plays for them if he does. In my view he's the best of the up and coming midfielders by a distance, he seems to see everything half a second before anyone else. Barring injury he is going to be an important player for us in time and I'd prefer to get him tied down sooner rather than later.
Idah Dream!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 12:45am
Jack Byrne is still an excellent footballer, granted his move to Cyprus failed but in typical Irish fashion we knock him instead of giving him credit for having the balls to take a risk.

If he can get back to the level he was at when playing for Shamrock Rovers previously there is no way he should be ignored, especially in a problem area where we're light on genuine options in.

I really like what Kenny is doing in terms of widening his playing pool, but at the same time we have players who offer little to nothing that keep making squads too. Whether you like Jack Byrne or loathe him, there is absolutely no denying he would offer the squad something different. His range of passing, ability to play between the lines, receive the ball under pressure etc is nothing to be sniffed at.

I'm not saying he will eventually start for Ireland, but I would love to see him potentially start making squads again in mid-late 2022.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:36am
good player. But I would be surprised if he’s capped again. He’ll be happy enough back in Dublin earning a good wage with rovers.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:43am
why do people think loi football is the end for Jack?

kenny has called up lesser loi footballers in the past. If he gets back to his best, he will be back in the Ireland squad easily. sure he wont start every game but he offers us something we dont have with his creativity and vision.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 138>
  Share Topic