You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 138>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He didn't flop in League One, he was a success at Oldham.

He fell out with Owen Coyle right after signing for Blackburn and the manager who signed him for Wigan was sacked straight away. So there are extenuating circumstances behind those moves failing.

APOEL were, and are, a basket case club. I wouldn't read anything into that other than he was badly advised going there to begin with.

Fell out with Owen Coyle, so has he a temperament issue then?  Wigan, manager gets sacked shocker, does this not happen in football all the time?  Oldham were actually a basket case of a club were he did ok.  As for APOEL, maybe they're in a bit of a mess, but the current squad has players from the likes of Argentina, Congo and Brazil.  Why are all these players not leaving the club if it is such a basket case?  Byrne has had contracts cancelled at 4 clubs now, yet it is always the clubs fault it seems!  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:15am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

To be fair, where was Wes at 25? Tbh I dont hold too many hopes for Byrne , but I wouldnt write him off entirely at 25 either. Having said that, I cant see him getting selected any time soon if he goes back to Rovers and I would hope that the likes of Smallbone and Ronan will continue to develop past him.

The answer to this question is that Wes was a regular in the English Championship at the age Jack Byrne is now.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:21am
Looking at Byrne's trajectory he had a decent loan at Cambuur at 19/20. He then moved to Blackburn Rovers back to England. He really probably should have looked to stay in Holland. 

If his stint in Holland could attract a move to Blackburn it probably could have got him a loan to a decent top half Eredivisie club at the very least. Hindsight a wonderful thing. 

Brady and Hourihane are two other examples so many of our players refuse to look outside of England when they would be far better suited to other continental Leagues. Very frustrating you look at most other countries you will see players plying thier trade in 10 different countries.

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Nov 2021 at 11:23am
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:30am
As long as hes playing somewhere i guarantee kenny calls him up again

Edited by Los Aros - 15 Nov 2021 at 11:35am
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:56am
He has a lot of skill but that’s not enough and the lower leagues and non league in England are littered with once promising players who never achieved their potential.  At 25 he must be at a turning point.  It’s mainly up to him but a bit of luck would be good.  I wish him all the best.  
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:19pm
I wish him all the best too, genuinely, but he's miles from being in the squad at this stage, never mind the team.  
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

I wish him all the best too, genuinely, but he's miles from being in the squad at this stage, never mind the team.  

You could say the same about Ogbene if you were to purely go off his club career. Not many managers would have had him in their squad let alone starting. If Byrne gets back to level he was at before he left Rovers then Kenny will select him if he feels he can do a job for the team.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:11pm
I know he is rated highly by some people on here, he's another one of these characters that truly divides opinion but I dont think he has enough to be a starter for the international team. At the very best, a squad player, but I dont think he'll make it back in.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:13pm
Loads ahead of him now. Big ask. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

You could say the same about Ogbene if you were to purely go off his club career. Not many managers would have had him in their squad let alone starting. If Byrne gets back to level he was at before he left Rovers then Kenny will select him if he feels he can do a job for the team.

Ogbene has been in England since 2017, playing over 70 games at this stage.  He's had no problems at his clubs either, so I don't see the comparison at all!  
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:35pm
Also Ogbene fits a specific role in the current system, I'm not sure what role Byrne could have - he's not enough of a worker off the ball to compete for the Knight/McGrath role, he's not enough of a forward player to compete with Ogbene, Robinson and Parrott. He's not suited to a deeper role in midfield either. 

He would need to reinvent his game at this stage to fit in I think.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:51pm

Ogbene has been in England since 2017, playing over 70 games at this stage.  He's had no problems at his clubs either, so I don't see the comparison at all!  

You dont see the comparison that a player that has had a very average career mostly in LOI, League One & Two has the attributes and ability to step it up and several levels and give one of the top International teams a handful for 90 minutes? ..and that a manger like Kenny can recognize that and have the confidence to select him on that basis?

Byrne has shown the same glimpses in the cameo appearances hes had for Ireland and regularly in European competition for Shamrock Rovers that hes more than capable of doing the same.

Id actually argue on paper Byrne has had a better club career than him

Ogbene                      Byrne
Championship             11(0)                           6(0)
League One                40(1)                          40(5)
League Two                13(0)                           N/A
LOI                             41(11)                        49(17)
Eredivise                     N/A                             27 (4)
SPL                             N/A                              5(0)                  
Cyprus                        N/A                              5(0)

Total:                         111(12)                     132(26)

Byrne has also played at higher level in Holland and in European games.

Edited by Bandwagon - 15 Nov 2021 at 4:47pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Loads ahead of him now. Big ask. 

There's definitely loads ahead of him but he doesn't have many if any competition for the type of player he is. 

I do agree that he will have to up his work rate off the Ball to get into this specific Kenny team, otherwise he would just be forever an impact sub brought on in specific scenarios.

Having said all that, Kenny has been so willing to change formation, style and players over the last 12-months that I wouldn't say anything is set in stone if a player can come along and shift his thinking, even in certain games.

Also, Jack isn't naïve to what's needed of him. He doesn't need a football forum to advise him, I'm sure he's getting it from the horses mouth and has had plenty of conversations with Kenny about what's required of him, not only to potentially make the starting 11, but get back into the squad.

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Also Ogbene fits a specific role in the current system, I'm not sure what role Byrne could have - he's not enough of a worker off the ball to compete for the Knight/McGrath role, he's not enough of a forward player to compete with Ogbene, Robinson and Parrott. He's not suited to a deeper role in midfield either. 

He fits the Knight role perfectly a #10 out of possession and wide of the front 3 in possession like Knight last night.

Look back to his debut against Bulgaria 2 years ago and he had the very same impact as Knight off the bench in a similar role. Changed the game and grabbed 2 assists.

By no means and I suggesting he goes straight into the starting XI and have the same impact as a player of Knights ability but has the same ability to change games when needed. Particularly against similar or lesser ranked teams like Azerbaijan or Luxembourg. 
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:57pm
once byrne gets back fit and playing again he'll be back into this team without a question of a doubt. he is the most natural and culturally gifted midfielder and this team is crying out for him. imagine having him in the midfield of the park pulling the strings and pinging through balls for Ogbene, Parrott, Idah. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

once byrne gets back fit and playing again he'll be back into this team without a question of a doubt. he is the most natural and culturally gifted midfielder and this team is crying out for him. imagine having him in the midfield of the park pulling the strings and pinging through balls for Ogbene, Parrott, Idah. 

Is this a joke? Why has he gone back to Shamrock Rovers if he’s so good? Knight is a far better player.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 4:12pm

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He fits the Knight role perfectly a #10 out of possession and wide of the front 3 in possession like Knight last night.

Look back to his debut against Bulgaria 2 years ago and he had the very same impact as Knight off the bench in a similar role. Changed the game and grabbed 2 assists.

By no means and I suggesting he goes straight into the starting XI and have the same impact as a player of Knights ability but has the same ability to change games when needed. Particularly against similar or lesser ranked teams like Azerbaijan or Luxembourg. 

He'd have to significantly up his workrate and contribution off the ball to be a realistic consideration for that role I think. He's a good 10 on the ball, I'm not sure he's a good 10 off the ball - which is the specific role Knight was given last night.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Is this a joke? Why has he gone back to Shamrock Rovers if he’s so good? Knight is a far better player.

Agreed.  The blind stupidity is astonishing!  
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 138>
  Share Topic