You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Italian football late 80s early 90s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 5:44pm
Used to watch Serie A highlights from 1989 - 1994 on Sgorio, a half hour show on Monday nights on S4C. 
Definitely saw some Serie A games on the forerunner to Sky (BskyB?) during season 1986/1987, it was like watching chess (very patient build ups) compared to the English 1st division at the time.
Went to 4 a team tournament at Wembley in August 1988 involving AC Milan, Bayern Munich, Arsenal and Tottenham. The Arsenal - Spurs game was on 1st and by the time the AC Milan and Bayern Munich game kicked off the stadium was 3/4 empty.
It was great to see Napoli win it in 1987 and 1990 and to see the return of the sleeping giants of AC Milan and Inter Milan in 1988 and 1989 respectively. Throw in Sampdoria with Mancini and Vialli and it was the beginning of a golden age for Serie A.
Loved the jerseys of Napoli, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Sampdoria during that era as well.

Edited by Mulvanystrasse - 16 Apr 2020 at 5:49pm
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 6:05pm
Yes Sportsnight ❤️.

Used to watch Dutch football on Super Channel circa 1986-7.
Van Basten etc at Ajax, Koeman/Gullit at PSV.

Loved the Serie A highlights but jaysus some of the live fames were shocking 0-0s or 1-0s.

Would have loved to see the Maradona/Zico/Platini era
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 6:07pm
Mulvanny - yes old Sky and Super Channels had Italian/Dutch/German football on from 1986/87 ish
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Yes Sportsnight ❤️.

Used to watch Dutch football on Super Channel circa 1986-7.
Van Basten etc at Ajax, Koeman/Gullit at PSV.

Loved the Serie A highlights but jaysus some of the live fames were shocking 0-0s or 1-0s.

Would have loved to see the Maradona/Zico/Platini era
Jaysus Super channel,forgot about that! 
Loved Serie A,Napoli were my team for Diego reasons. Loved that Mars jersey. Remember doing my homework while watching it on a Monday night. 9 pm I think. 
Loved Gazza at Lazio also. He was triffic at that time
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 6:11pm
I also used to love watching Serie A in the early 90's. It was 'the' league to watch as so many world class players played in it eg Gullit, Klinsmann, Maldini, Baggio etc. That theme tune as well. Clap

Definitely nowhere near the same nowadays though. Cry
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 10:14am
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Watching the RTE 2 programme every Monday and seeing early 90s AC Milan, always had a soft spot for them ever since.  
Same. A great show and a great team back then
Some people just deserve a slap
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 7:10pm
The story of Vincenzo Paparelli who was killed at a Roma derby in 1979 against the backdrop of political upheaval in Italy.

https://thefootballfaithful.com/the-birth-of-the-ultra-italian-football/
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 7:18pm
super channel used to show Spanish football too, your man Brackley commentating, f**king sh*te he wasLOL
Always seemed to be either Barca or Espanyol too, used to love that and the Dutch highlights on as well, was it sky?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 7:24pm
What was Super Channel? Was it exclusively sports?
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 7:38pm
no het field, it was an early satellite channel, there was sky and super if I remember correctly, then there was , later I think , an excellent Sunday afternoon serie A programme on Channel 4.old geezers like me long for the days of more continental less English on tv, sign of oncoming senility no doubt!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

The story of Vincenzo Paparelli who was killed at a Roma derby in 1979 against the backdrop of political upheaval in Italy.

https://thefootballfaithful.com/the-birth-of-the-ultra-italian-football/
Not being a pedant for the sake of it, I am sure you would rather now, but it is the 'Sessantotto' rather than 'Sessanotto'. Torino also claim to have the first Italian ultras group, the Fedelissimi Granata, but it is complicated to pin a first exactly on these things.
James Montague's new book, '1312', should be a decent read on the subject. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 9:09am
Too young to have seen late 80's/early 90's Serie A, but would it have been considered less defensive by the time Zidane, Del Piero, Ronaldo, etc were playing in the league in the late 90's?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:02pm
you only saw highlights of one game or max two and goals from the other games.  

As a result you got all these amazing goals.  Generally Italian teams were made up of italian defenders and the star players were often foreigners as there as a limit of 1 and then 2 and finally 3 before it all changed with EU opening of borders and ability to work within eu.  

As a result some cracking goals were scored but when we finally saw the games live on channel  four on a sunday many realise they were often dour affairs lit up by one moment of beautiful play.  You could be a top scorer on 16 or 17 goals in italy.
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:07pm
I loved the live games! The first one on television on Channel 4 was a 3-3! The games I really enjoyed were the low scoring ones. It was incredible to see defenders going a whole game without making a mistake and it made the flair players and goal scorers look even better.
Signori, in particular, seemed to score every chance he got! 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 1:52pm
Italian football back then was like the champions league now.
All the best players were in Italy.

Georgi Hagi was playing in the Italian 2nd division the year of the 94 world cup. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Georgi Hagi was playing in the Italian 2nd division the year of the 94 world cup. 
True.
After two years at Madrid he signed for Brescia in Serie A and was relegated that season but straight up the season after.

Nothing unusual about staying with them in Serie B as a lot of players did this at Juve (Del Piero) and Fiorentina (Batistuta) when they got relegated.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 3:14pm
trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 8:36am
I loved watching that especially as wasn't much live football on tv back then. The Italian league had the best players back then with the great AC Milan team, Inter, Juventus, Sampdoria, Napoli and even Parma all doing well. It was exciting to see many great players from all over the world
Unfortunately Italian football has declined a lot since then and is overshadowed by English and Spanish football now. Juventus winning the league every year has made it boring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic