You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It was the softer weaker boys he targeted...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It was the softer weaker boys he targeted...
    Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 11:12pm
Three high profile ex players David White,Steve walters and Paul Stewart have come out this week saying how they were sexually abused by coaches when they were in academies. The last two walters and stewart both at crewe were abused by Barry Bennell.  There could potentially be hundreds of ex players who were affected while in academies, will be interesting to see if any more come out now.

Barry Bennell - The 62-year-old was once employed by Crewe Alexandra football club and had a close association with Stoke City and Manchester City. The court heard during the trial the period of abuse spanned from 1978 to 1992 as he travelled around the North-west and Midlands talent-spotting boys for junior football teams.

Edited by Doyler1993 - 23 Nov 2016 at 11:15pm
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Sponsored Links

UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 11:52pm
It will make for tough reading.  I expect to hear terms like "YTS" and apprentice again.
Kids (Under-18) were exploited as employees in their workplace and it seems there was some that were sexually abused aswell.

Fair Play to those who are giving their testimony.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:35am
That scumbag coached Gary Speed when he was a kid too, there were rumours about it at the time of Speed's death although there's no evidence he was one of the kids abused. Think it's known that he stayed over in the house though. Crewe really not covering themselves in glory here either, some of this abuse is supposed to have happened at Dario Gradi's house although he was unaware of it. Surprised it's taken this long to start coming out given that your man was jailed in 1999. Very good interview on Off the Ball last night, worth checking the podcast.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/9262754/Gary-Speed-was-coached-by-paedophile-as-a-child.html

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 25 Nov 2016 at 11:52am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 11:54am
Fair play to Andy Woodward for coming forward. I don't think the Speed link will ever be truly known.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 4:18pm
Been reading the Guardian pieces, truly horrific.  Brave lads for finally speaking out.

Wonder can Bennell be charged again?

Hope he gets what's coming to him.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Been reading the Guardian pieces, truly horrific.  Brave lads for finally speaking out.

Wonder can Bennell be charged again?

Hope he gets what's coming to him.
Yes he can, these are all separate incidents and separate cases of breaking the law, I believe his last sentence, 2 years in prison in 2015, was for a similarly 'historic' sexual offence. Given the number of people coming forward and the number and strength of the offences I would imagine he would be looking at another decade behind bars, Superdave might be able to say better.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 6:00pm
Cannot get over this paragraph in the UK Independent piece - 

The criminal proclivities of Crewe's talent spotter were by no means a secret. One boy related details of an episode to his father who, joined by other parents, actually confronted Bennell at his home and told him they were going to involve the police. The paedophile promptly began to cry and held his head in his hands. What happened next was extraordinary. The parents were so concerned about damaging their sons' chances in football by involving police that they did not report them after all and convinced themselves they had nipped the problem in the bud.

Those parents, fooking hell.

Edited by seaniemac - 24 Nov 2016 at 6:01pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 6:09pm
Fooking hell those so called parents should be ashamed of themselves
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

Cannot get over this paragraph in the UK Independent piece - 

The criminal proclivities of Crewe's talent spotter were by no means a secret. One boy related details of an episode to his father who, joined by other parents, actually confronted Bennell at his home and told him they were going to involve the police. The paedophile promptly began to cry and held his head in his hands. What happened next was extraordinary. The parents were so concerned about damaging their sons' chances in football by involving police that they did not report them after all and convinced themselves they had nipped the problem in the bud.

Those parents, fooking hell.

Sure in this country, parents outright refused to believe that the local priest could possibly fiddle with their kids. Sadly not surprising at all. 
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 6:25pm
Bennett was one sick f**k.
He abused Woodward and then married Woodwards sister and was "happily" married and loved by the family.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 6:30pm
Holy sh*t, that's appalling.

It's amazing the power money has.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

He abused Woodward and then married Woodwards sister and was "happily" married and loved by the family.

What the actual f**k
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

What the actual f**k

That relationship was all f**ked up too.He met her when she was 16 and he made Woodward keep the relationship a secret for a few years because of the age difference(maybe age of consent as well ?) Bennell would have been about 33/34 at the time.The f**ker who raped you becomes your brother in law,poor f**ker had an awful childhood.
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 10:43pm

if true, how is this not child neglect by the parents?! they should be locked up. Poor lads. sadly this is only the beginning folks. this story is going to get a lot worse...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 10:51pm
Yep. Paul Stewart was saying he's hoping these were isolated cases but accepts that it's likely to be in the hundreds

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

if true, how is this not child neglect by the parents?! they should be locked up. Poor lads. sadly this is only the beginning folks. this story is going to get a lot worse...
A former Newcastle player has come forward today, once one is brave enough to come forward a lot more will. I am still waiting for the political paedophile story to be properly broken open, I thought the Cyril Smith enquiry would have done that, there are more influential people at risk there though, they will have to die first.
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

A former Newcastle player has come forward today, once one is brave enough to come forward a lot more will. I am still waiting for the political paedophile story to be properly broken open, I thought the Cyril Smith enquiry would have done that, there are more influential people at risk there though, they will have to die first.

i hope so. 

read earlier that gary speed had stayed at his house as a young lad... now i know you cant put 2 and 2 together and get 5 and all that but it does make you think...

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 11:14pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

i hope so. 

read earlier that gary speed had stayed at his house as a young lad... now i know you cant put 2 and 2 together and get 5 and all that but it does make you think...

Speeds parents said at the time of his death Bennell wasn't connected to his suicide.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic