You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Israel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 3:40am
As Helen Thomas said send them all back to Germany...
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 3:54am
so its not the politics of the jewish state your against, but their race?
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 5:14am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

as i said before, israe's problem is an overdominant right wing which is very closely linked to the military. having been there twice and stayed with a famly of a girl d meet at the match there, i found them very hospitable and welcoming

now now tom dont be introducing balance and fair play to this debate.  Its not neeeded and its not wanted  ok. 

Yeah I would be anti the extreme Zionists but Israel does have a right to exist but it must do so in conjunction with a Palestinian state.  As Tom says there is a more liberal element to Israel that has been sidelined in recent times and the ironic thing is they want Hammas to prosper as it gives them an excuse to be as right wing as they like.  As have seen from our own experience, when you get two extremists who wont back down, you are going nowhere. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 5:34am
too true neil - the left wing israeli labour party came very close to doing a deal with arafat until Rabin's assassination. Hamas then upped the ante with suicide bombings in israel which led to netanyahu (right wing) taking charge after an election and cutting all negotiations
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 12:55am
bump

I have hummed and hawed over this for a while now (due to moral and ethical reasons etc.) but finally bit the bullet by booking return flights to Israel in November. It is somewhere I've always wanted to go and see mainly because of the history that surrounds the region and the fact I love travelling. The difficulty I have is reconciling the moral and ethical issues with the State of Israel. 

Anyhow, one of the ways of reconciling these issues is to limit my expenditure as far as reasonable to non-jewish businesses like hotels etc. The problem I'm finding is the accommodation providers don't leave too many traces of their backgrounds when I try to book even in Arab areas like Jaffa (finding Arabic restaurants shouldn't be too bad I reckon). 

I intend to spend a day or two in Jaffa and then a day or two in Jerusalem with the rest of the time, possibly another day or so, spent in the West Bank. 

To cut to the chase I'd appreciate if those of you who have been there would share any tips you have. 

Cheers in advance  Thumbs Up

Edited by colemanY2K - 29 May 2015 at 12:57am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 1:30am
So basically you're going to Israel and you are going to try and employ a bigoted spending policy against Jewish people, in Israel.

My god, are you drunk
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 2:52am
It isn't often I well say this but I echo Landon's sentiments.

If you booked with Thomas Cooke, you may find yourself on a list of ridiculous complaints
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 7:18am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

bump

I have hummed and hawed over this for a while now (due to moral and ethical reasons etc.) but finally bit the bullet by booking return flights to Israel in November. It is somewhere I've always wanted to go and see mainly because of the history that surrounds the region and the fact I love travelling. The difficulty I have is reconciling the moral and ethical issues with the State of Israel. 

Anyhow, one of the ways of reconciling these issues is to limit my expenditure as far as reasonable to non-jewish businesses like hotels etc. The problem I'm finding is the accommodation providers don't leave too many traces of their backgrounds when I try to book even in Arab areas like Jaffa (finding Arabic restaurants shouldn't be too bad I reckon). 

I intend to spend a day or two in Jaffa and then a day or two in Jerusalem with the rest of the time, possibly another day or so, spent in the West Bank. 

To cut to the chase I'd appreciate if those of you who have been there would share any tips you have. 

Cheers in advance  Thumbs Up
Coleman  don't really have time but will try and put a few things together for you over the weekend , we were there last year during the troubles for two weeks now a huge amount to see and do just depends what you are into but do spend time in Jerusalem give yourself 4 days if that's you bag .
Give me ideas what you want Jewish or Arab and i will try and help you out .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 8:11am
I've always wanted to go to Israel/Palestine. My earliest memory of Israel was looking at a picture of the Dead Sea in a Weetabix atlas in the 80s (Think you got them free/discount if you sent tokens)

I hope we get them in the next qualifiers. If I was going, I wouldn't be discriminating against them. Worked with a couple of them before and they were very nice which I'm sure most of them are despite being brainwashed into supporting the latest atrocities in Gaza.

I wouldn't even bother debating politics with anyone over there as you're not going to convince them anyway.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 8:29am
Anyway politics aside, Israeli army women   

https://instagram.com/hotisraeliarmygirls/

Edited by irishmufc - 29 May 2015 at 8:29am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

So basically you're going to Israel and you are going to try and employ a bigoted spending policy against Jewish people, in Israel.

My god, are you drunk

Here is a link to the definition of a bigot: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/bigot

As always LD you come onto a thread with an ill-informed smart arse comment. 

For your information I do not hold any ill feelings towards Jewish, Christians, Arabs or people of other faiths or even people with no faith. I am merely holding those to account, who vote in a large way, for parties that put leaders like Netanyahu, Barak etc into power. Those very leaders who then used or are using the arms of the state to bring misery and destruction to the lives of many thousands of people.

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:31am
No Tel Aviv? Shocked Too many Jews there, is it? Wink In all seriousness though you're missing out big time by visiting Israel and not spending a few days in that city. Great spot.
londonirish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:34am

My god, are you drunk

Here is a link to the definition of a bigot: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/bigot

For your information I do not hold any ill feelings towards Jewish, Christians, Arabs or people of other faiths or even people with no faith. I am merely holding those to account, who vote in a large way, for parties that put leaders like Netanyahu, Barak etc into power. Those very leaders who then used or are using the arms of the state to bring misery and destruction to the lives of many thousands of people.

he's an attention seeking troll. Pops up every now and again when he needs some attention... best to ignore.

anyway, i traveled to Israel and Palestine in around 2005/06 and loved it. We stayed mainly in tel aviv. I wouldn't avoid any Israeli restaurants/ shops etc as it will limit your trip. The majority of folk we came across in tel aviv were very decent and welcoming. Good people. TA is very cosmopolitan. 

We use TA as a base to visit Jerusalem (which is incredible!!) and the west bank, including Bethlehem & Nablus). We also used a arab taxi driver to visit rammallah and the tomb of yasser arafat which was a very poignant trip. I wouldnt suggest going into rammallah now however... western hostages are worth a few quid these days!!

the west bank checkpoints were the most frustrating part of the trip. You'll see people queuing for hours in the dirt, being basically treated like animals by the guards.  It is a human prison. When you see the size of the walls surrounding it you'll be amazed. Israelie apologists the world over don't like to see this side of Israel.

One tip - When in TA take a walk down the beach to old jaffa. Its an arab/ christian town. There's a beautiful old church there (st michaels) which is worth a visit. There's fantastic old markets and restaurants around the port there too. Only an hour walk and really worth while. 

Definitely go but don't boycott. 
Stretchryan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretchryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:49am
Was there for the game few years back - Tel Aviv was great for the game but my bird at the time had a mate living there so seen it from both a tourist and a locals side. 

Went to Jerusalem for Easter Sunday and was class. Had great meals everywhere there. 

Be careful with street kids in Jerusalem in the bazaar's very handy at the pick pocketing.

They love to party and women in Tel Aviv were class - spent most of time in Mikes bar and the beach bar that never closed i think..  After the game met Brian Kerr by the beach wondering around aimlessly. Those 2 Israel comebacks cost him his job. 

Pointless fact - they took my issues of bizarre and loaded magazines going into the country. Also allow hours getting out as customs takes ages!! 

SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:52am
I'll second that, Tel Aviv is a great spot.  Carmel Market is something from the times of Jesus! The nightlife in the city is probably the best I've experienced outside Germany or the US. Unreal.

Haifa is another spot to check out!

As for Jerusalem, Yad Vashem and id recommend taking a tour of the old city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w-2K9U8UIs - I cant think of Isreal or Tel Aviv without thinking of this song now LOL

I've been to Isreal a few times, my folks dragged me out when i was 11 for three weeks they're a friendly bunch i find them like the Turks nearly to nice, I've been back a bunch of times since for work.

Don't bother trying to boycott, you'll spoil your trip and you are in Israel you're going to really really struggle. 
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:00am

My god, are you drunk

To be fair, I think Landon is the forum dimwit, but he is right here. The moral hazard has been and gone, the idea of going to Israel and trying to avoid Israeli business is a bit counter intuitive.
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 1:27pm
"The moral hazard has been and gone"??
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

"The moral hazard has been and gone"??

it os with O'Leary in the grave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic